Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 07:09 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,162,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Not one person has said that only purebreds can be bred. What most of the people have an issue here with is backyard breeders and puppy mills, who are the ONLY ONES OUT THERE that breed mixed breed dogs and sell them for profit. Reputable breeders do not. If you can can go to them, or a pet store, and buy your mixed breed puppy, while overlooking the treatment their parents receive at the mill, then you have no heart.

I don't know why it keeps coming back to this same conversation over and over. No one is saying bad things about mutts, but most are against the horrible treatments at puppy mills, whether the dog is purebred or a mutt.
So are you proposing that people not neuter their pets and go ahead and allow them to breed? If there is no such thing as a "reputable" breeder that will (heaven forbid) allow two different breeds of dog to mate, and we shut down the puppy mills (which I am 100% in support of, by the way), then the only other way to have mixed breed puppies is for dog owners to breed their own dogs. Is this what you are suggesting, that we stop encouraging people to spay and neuter their pets? Or is there some other way to create puppies that I'm not aware of?

Old 10-07-2009, 07:21 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,287,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetvj View Post
So are you proposing that people not neuter their pets and go ahead and allow them to breed? If there is no such thing as a "reputable" breeder that will (heaven forbid) allow two different breeds of dog to mate, and we shut down the puppy mills (which I am 100% in support of, by the way), then the only other way to have mixed breed puppies is for dog owners to breed their own dogs. Is this what you are suggesting, that we stop encouraging people to spay and neuter their pets? Or is there some other way to create puppies that I'm not aware of?
Luckily, there are so many dogs in shelters across the country, that there won't ever be a need to even think of a way to get this done. There simply aren't enough homes and unless you are a reputable show breeder, endorsed by your breed club, you have no business breeding more puppies because every time you do, a shelter animal is euthanized.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:25 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,696,907 times
Quote:
I would hope that your "Morkie" came from the shelter and not some breeder making a profit off a ridiculously sounding designer name. No one has an issue with getting dogs from shelters. Unfortunatley, most get these designer mutts from breeders, puppy mills, or stores. Visit a puppy mill, there are plenty around. I can provide you with a few addresses, since we did a major rescue in the Midwest a couple of years ago. Maybe then you will change your tune.
Puppy mills I of course understand are bad I totally get that, but, what I am reading is I am bad if I have a Morkie but OK if I have a Yorkie Ok I guess I will step back because there is some small thing I am simply not grasping like a M and a Y that turns a breeder from good into a money grubbing bad puppy mill...wow

Old 10-07-2009, 07:31 PM

48,123 posts, read 21,999,038 times
I know a lovely dog--a "bassador".....basset and blk lab cross! He looks a little wierd..but he is as sweet as he can be. I have a "terrier mix" but the only terrier that is evident is pit bull.....but the mix part makes her the sweetest most gentle and loyal dog I can imagine......she is a non-stop, tail wagging, face licking love-bug. God Bless the mixed breeds....mutts....curs or what ever....love needs no pedigree, love needs no defense.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Luckily, there are so many dogs in shelters across the country, that there won't ever be a need to even think of a way to get this done. There simply aren't enough homes and unless you are a reputable show breeder, endorsed by your breed club, you have no business breeding more puppies because every time you do, a shelter animal is euthanized.
I'm not sure I consider the fact that there are so many dogs in shelters to be "lucky". And there are legitimate reasons as to why some people would prefer to not adopt from a shelter. Adopting a rescued dog is really a crap shoot; you have no idea of what you're getting. And it's often difficult to find puppies, too, and older dogs can be more difficult to retrain.

I just don't understand why it's considered to be perfectly okay for "reputable" breeders to breed purebred dogs for people who prefer them, but not okay for them to cross breed dogs when there is a market for those dogs as well.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
Puppy mills I of course understand are bad I totally get that, but, what I am reading is I am bad if I have a Morkie but OK if I have a Yorkie Ok I guess I will step back because there is some small thing I am simply not grasping like a M and a Y that turns a breeder from good into a money grubbing bad puppy mill...wow
If your Yorkie came from a reputable breeder, one that breeds conformation show dogs and actively shows his stock and is striving to improve the breed, then that is totally fine. However, there are backyard breeders and puppy mills that spew this breed out as well, and if your Yorkie came from there, it is just as bad as the Morkie.

This has nothing to do with purebred vs. mutts. 100% of mixed breed dogs purchased from a breeder come from a backyard breeder. Yes, purebreds can come from backyard breeders as well, but if you are educated enough on the breed you are looking for, you know that in order to find a reputable breeder you must contact that breed club for referrals.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janetvj View Post
I'm not sure I consider the fact that there are so many dogs in shelters to be "lucky". And there are legitimate reasons as to why some people would prefer to not adopt from a shelter. Adopting a rescued dog is really a crap shoot; you have no idea of what you're getting. And it's often difficult to find puppies, too, and older dogs can be more difficult to retrain.

I just don't understand why it's considered to be perfectly okay for "reputable" breeders to breed purebred dogs for people who prefer them, but not okay for them to cross breed dogs when there is a market for those dogs as well.
So adopting a rescue dog is a crapshoot? And you are going to tell me that mixing 2 breeds will result in the same characteristis over and over again? We have about a dozen pug/beagle mixes at our dog park. No two are alike. They are all different colors, different sizes, different temperaments, etc. Some came from the same breeder and share the same mother yet they are completely different looking.

A reputable breeder knows exactly what the temperament will be of his puppies before they are born. He does not breed blindly and hopes for the best. He has studied the breed and done all the necessary health and temperament testing to ensure that he gets the desired traits 100% of the time.

Buying a mixed breed puppy from a puppy mill breeder is more of a crapshoot than a rescue. Rescues have puppies very frequently, but at least with the adult "puggle" you truly know the temperament and are not in for surprises when your "puggle" puppy doesn't turn out to be the size/temperament you want.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:37 PM

Quote:
If your Yorkie came from a reputable breeder, one that breeds conformation show dogs and actively shows his stock and is striving to improve the breed, then that is totally fine. However, there are backyard breeders and puppy mills that spew this breed out as well, and if your Yorkie came from there, it is just as bad as the Morkie.

This has nothing to do with purebred vs. mutts. 100% of mixed breed dogs purchased from a breeder come from a backyard breeder. Yes, purebreds can come from backyard breeders as well, but if you are educated enough on the breed you are looking for, you know that in order to find a reputable breeder you must contact that breed club for referrals.
What you don't seem to grasp is that some people do not want a purebred dog, and they may also not want to adopt from a shelter, where the lineage of the dog is a complete mystery. Why should that be their only option?

Old 10-07-2009, 07:54 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,671,921 times
I'm so sorry that this thread is so contentious, but I can see both sides of this issue.

I understand that some posters think that people should only buy purebred puppies from a reputable breeder.

I understand that other people want mixed breed puppies.

I understand that shelters have many great dogs that need homes, but if a rescue/shelter does not have the type of puppy/dog a person wants must we condemn them for buying the pup they want, loving it, and giving it a great home?

Old 10-07-2009, 07:54 PM

716 posts, read 1,119,547 times
Quote:
You could use this same argument for buying a purebreed puppy from a reputable breeder. Why not just adopt a dog? People buy hunting dogs like Labs and Goldens with no intention of them retrieving anything other than a tennis ball. If someone wants a pet, not a working dog, they can go to a shelter, right? By this logic, the only excuse for buying from a breeder is if you need a specific working dog for a certain job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs