Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 04:45 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,698,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
There is no such thing as a reputable breeder that will take 2 perfectly good breeds and mix them together! Why can't people understand that? A reputable breeders strives to improve the breed through shows, education, etc. This is done with one breed, not mixed breeds.

There is nothing wrong with mixed breed dogs. But when they come from a place where they were intentionally bred that way, it is a backyard breeder, plain and simple. I don't care how nice the breeder is, she is still a backyard breeder, which is one step below a puppy mill. Here is a great checklist that differentiates between backyard and reputable breeders:

Backyard Breeder vs Reputable Breeder

And about mixed breed dogs, created on purpose by backyard breeders and puppy mills:

petsboardfaq - The Truth About Designer Dogs
Are you saying mutts are bad then? It seems to me that so many purebred show dogs are having huge health issues that I don't see how show breeders can be upset with these new breeds.

Old 10-07-2009, 04:53 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
Are you saying mutts are bad then? Why is a backyard breeder bad? I know a a purebred Pug that came from a very backyard breeder but it was loved by the whole family and beautiful...why is that bad?
No..mutts are not bad at all.
BYBs breed any two dogs together...with no regard to health, genetics,pedigree and confirmation. Breed two dogs, have a litter and sell to whomever will buy. $ is the only reason to breed.
A reputable breeder breeds to improve the breed. Working long and hard on obtaining a certain look and pedigree, building their lines to strive for perfection. Most times, they are showing in the ring to earn points towards championshipsn and/ or field trials. Many hrs and money goes into building a healthy line. They will have a contract and health back guarantee. And very selective just who takes one of their litter. Just a few points to start on the differences!

Old 10-07-2009, 04:56 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times
And they are not new breeds. They are mutts being passed off as a new breed. They will not come with papers and can't possibly have a health guarantee because one has no idea what percentage of what is mixed in there! It's not like your getting 50% of one breed and 50% of the other. There are no guarantees what it will look like or what it characteristics will be personality wise.

Old 10-07-2009, 04:57 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,014,438 times
All dog "breeds" started somewhere. As I understand it a breed is determined by the traits all "breeding true" or consistant through several generations. There is incidently a new dog breed, well, actually a bybrid, that breeds true;

Russians breed superdog with a jackal's nose for bombs and drugs - Telegraph

Old 10-07-2009, 04:58 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,289,798 times
Quote:
Are you saying mutts are bad then? It seems to me that so many purebred show dogs are having huge health issues that I don't see how show breeders can be upset with these new breeds.
No! I said it in every post that I have no issues with mutts. I volunteer for a rescue that has mostly mixed breeds and love them to death.

I am just saying that there is no reputable breeder that will take 2 perfectly good breeds and mix them together, then sell them under some stupid sounding names. That person continues to argue with everyone that she got her schnorkie, dorkie, whatever it is from a reputable breeder and there is no way that it's possible.

It's not that mutts are not healthy. They are healthier than many purebreds. Breeders that breed show dogs are backed up by the breed club of their particular breed. They do necessary health testing, treat them like family, and know their backgrounds. They don't have cages upon cages of dogs and blindly breed 2 dogs in hope of profit. They can never predict what the dogs will look like and no nothing about their backgrounds.

Again, I will say that I have nothign against mutts, but have a huge problem with backyard breeders and puppy mills selling both purebreds and mixed designer dogs.

Old 10-07-2009, 05:11 PM

Please thing twice before getting a dog from a byb or puppy mill. There was a huge dog auction in Ohio today (10/7). 389 dogs were scheduled to be auctioned off. For those that aren't following news re. laws in PA - new regs are set to go into effect later this month. Due to the new regs, and the fact auctions are illegal in PA, they've moved this auction up so that millers in PA can unload their breeding stock.

Many of these dogs are sold for $1 and those that do not sell, are taken out back and killed. Anyways, please send some thoughts for these 389 dogs today. For some, they will finally be free from the mill. For others, they are going right back into the cycle of greed where they will be fed and bred once again.

Please watch the video at the bottom of the page, in the 2nd link. It is so sad.

Home

PA kennels shed breeding stock before new law takes effect | Philly Dawg | 09/28/2009

Old 10-07-2009, 05:37 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,163,018 times
I just don't get it. In the "perfect" world that some of you seem to subscribe to, the only puppies ever born from here on out would be purebred. What an elitist attitude. I have owned a number of dogs in my life, and the best dogs as pets are the mutts. Some of you have even admitted that there is nothing wrong with a mutt. How in the heck could you ever have a mutt if the only dogs that are allowed to be bred is a purebred within it's own breed?

Old 10-07-2009, 06:20 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,698,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetvj View Post
I just don't get it. In the "perfect" world that some of you seem to subscribe to, the only puppies ever born from here on out would be purebred. What an elitist attitude. I have owned a number of dogs in my life, and the best dogs as pets are the mutts. Some of you have even admitted that there is nothing wrong with a mutt. How in the heck could you ever have a mutt if the only dogs that are allowed to be bred is a purebred within it's own breed?

Totally confused as well I could end up with a Morkie and cause all kind of cringing and screaming Good grief!

Old 10-07-2009, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janetvj View Post
Not one person has said that only purebreds can be bred. What most of the people have an issue here with is backyard breeders and puppy mills, who are the ONLY ONES OUT THERE that breed mixed breed dogs and sell them for profit. Reputable breeders do not. If you can can go to them, or a pet store, and buy your mixed breed puppy, while overlooking the treatment their parents receive at the mill, then you have no heart.

I don't know why it keeps coming back to this same conversation over and over. No one is saying bad things about mutts, but most are against the horrible treatments at puppy mills, whether the dog is purebred or a mutt.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Totally confused as well I could end up with a Morkie and cause all kind of cringing and screaming Good grief!
I would hope that your "Morkie" came from the shelter and not some breeder making a profit off a ridiculously sounding designer name. No one has an issue with getting dogs from shelters. Unfortunatley, most get these designer mutts from breeders, puppy mills, or stores. Visit a puppy mill, there are plenty around. I can provide you with a few addresses, since we did a major rescue in the Midwest a couple of years ago. Maybe then you will change your tune.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.