Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 11:31 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,027,284 times

Advertisements

good for you getting him neutered.....

i have a related question, that i think has been addressed before, but don't recall the answer to at the moment.....

my davey-dog was neutered at what i suspect was a VERY young age..... he is 11 months old now and still sort of squats to pee..... which really is no big deal for me, but am wondering if he will at some point start to lift his leg?? so far, in the month or so that i have had him, he has not shown any interest in marking either..... when he pees, it is because he needs to pee.... my bailey-girl marks when we are out and about, but dave doesn't seem the least bit interested in doing so.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 11:52 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,025,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
good for you getting him neutered.....

i have a related question, that i think has been addressed before, but don't recall the answer to at the moment.....

my davey-dog was neutered at what i suspect was a VERY young age..... he is 11 months old now and still sort of squats to pee..... which really is no big deal for me, but am wondering if he will at some point start to lift his leg?? so far, in the month or so that i have had him, he has not shown any interest in marking either..... when he pees, it is because he needs to pee.... my bailey-girl marks when we are out and about, but dave doesn't seem the least bit interested in doing so.......
Hi.

It seems my answers are always in relation to my neighbor's Lab puppies, and not to Artie.

My neighbor has two lab puppies -- a boy and a girl, now 10-11 months old. The boy has always squatted to pee (not lift his leg) as if he's copying his sister, and also never marks (he just pees when he has to). I think it's normal -- not the norm, but normal. Oh, and he was just neutered last week, and still squats.

Old 10-12-2009, 04:27 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,586,673 times
Dazzle had a retained testicle too and in July at 10 months he had a cryptorchid castration. They told me they would need to keep him over night as it is a bigger surgery then just a neuter but when the vet called to tell me they were out of surgery he asked me if I would like to take him home later that day which I did. He was fine. He just needed to stay quiet then no running or jumping until the stitches came out. He did have to wear the E-collar and gave me alot of pitiful looks about it until he decided it was cool as he could bash things with it.

Dazzle never lifted his leg or showed any interest in marking before the surgery and now at 14 months he still doesn't . Makes walking him a pleasure! At the dog park he kind of looks at the " other guys" as they lift their legs and mark everything like they are an odd group. Little does he know he is a girlie boy which is fine with me, as he is such an elegant flashy boy, hence the name Dazzle!

The surgery can go fast or take a long time depending on how difficult it is to find the retained testicle, Dazzle's was right there where they saw it right away so his surgery was short but I was warned they can turn into long surgeries if they have to hunt for it. He recovered just fine. Bewarned it is alot more expensive then a normal castration so he may recover faster then your bank account! But it does need to come out as left inside they tend to develop cancer. Hope your boy does well.

Old 10-12-2009, 06:09 PM

210 posts, read 744,828 times
Default Thank you all!

Thank you all for the advice, ill post pictures as soon as i can, (or figure out how, gotta ask mamma...)

Old 10-12-2009, 08:25 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,692,145 times
The cone is just so they do not lick the surgery! It also is no shame and does save more unwanted
dogs! Treat him special and life will go on! You did the correct decision for you dog. It also may help
him to live a longer life!

Old 10-13-2009, 05:21 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,027,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
Dazzle had a retained testicle too and in July at 10 months he had a cryptorchid castration. They told me they would need to keep him over night as it is a bigger surgery then just a neuter but when the vet called to tell me they were out of surgery he asked me if I would like to take him home later that day which I did. He was fine. He just needed to stay quiet then no running or jumping until the stitches came out. He did have to wear the E-collar and gave me alot of pitiful looks about it until he decided it was cool as he could bash things with it.

Dazzle never lifted his leg or showed any interest in marking before the surgery and now at 14 months he still doesn't . Makes walking him a pleasure! At the dog park he kind of looks at the " other guys" as they lift their legs and mark everything like they are an odd group. Little does he know he is a girlie boy which is fine with me, as he is such an elegant flashy boy, hence the name Dazzle!

The surgery can go fast or take a long time depending on how difficult it is to find the retained testicle, Dazzle's was right there where they saw it right away so his surgery was short but I was warned they can turn into long surgeries if they have to hunt for it. He recovered just fine. Bewarned it is alot more expensive then a normal castration so he may recover faster then your bank account! But it does need to come out as left inside they tend to develop cancer. Hope your boy does well.
HA!! girlie-boy ..... that's my dave!! i swear, you know both of my dogs even from a couple thousand miles away.......

good luck with your boy allison.... he will be just fine..... and yes, do keep us up to date on his progress and post pictures when you can........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs