Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 06:44 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,282,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolagranola View Post
This thread is making me wonder what I can do to become involved again. I am the co-ordinator for a volunteer program at school (which I love), and don't know how much I could put into it...BUT, my heart really lies with dogs.

Unfortunately where I live there is a 2-dog limit. And my understanding was that to foster, you also had to be able to keep the dog. So I never looked further into it.

Thank God there are people like you out there, working for these animals!
Talk to your local rescues to see if they know the policies regarding the dogs and ownership.

Other tasks are retrieving messages from the hotline and doling them out to the appropriate fosters, emails regarding the dogs and forwarding them, general information questions. There is also transport that can be done on the weekendends or simply an overnight stay and transport to the vet (where the foster would do the pick up). Home visits are another task rescues need to ensure the dogs are going to a safe environment.

So, there is plenty to contribute, without actually taking in any of the dogs or puppies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 07:32 AM

548 posts, read 1,483,833 times
Thanks for the GREAT information here on how to help rescues when it is not possible to actually foster. There is a dog I want to take in, but my husband says, "NOOOO." I don't think, actually I know he's not going to budge on that, and I don't really blame him. We have 4 kids, 2 dogs, 1 cat, and I nanny for a friends' baby. It's a pretty full house, but I will always have room in my heart and home for just one more furry friend.

Old 09-12-2010, 08:30 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,282,969 times
Well, it has been a year since I last fostered due to one of my fosters being killed and then one of my own dogs passing away. It's time to get back into the ring again and save those lives. I've reconnected with my rescue organization and found this little sweetheart on death row who will be coming to my home tomorrow (Monday).

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc271/Thursday_007/Chanel.jpg (broken link)

While I had fostered up to seven at a time at one point we're starting out with one pup at a time and working our way back in. My other furry girls are looking forward to new fosters too.

Old 09-12-2010, 09:02 AM

8,039 posts, read 4,526,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Well, it has been a year since I last fostered due to one of my fosters being killed and then one of my own dogs passing away. It's time to get back into the ring again and save those lives. I've reconnected with my rescue organization and found this little sweetheart on death row who will be coming to my home tomorrow (Monday).

While I had fostered up to seven at a time at one point we're starting out with one pup at a time and working our way back in. My other furry girls are looking forward to new fosters too.
What a beautiful baby.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:00 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,601,898 times
Glad to read you're back in business again, M. 8)

Old 09-13-2010, 09:15 AM

1,300 posts, read 3,614,111 times
I currently have 6-7 week old, orange and white kittens. They are males, brothers and were found as teeny feral strays by my vet. They are now very sweet and will seek attention from people, I cuddled the meanness out of them! They are in search of loving homes in the Houston area. I can't figure out how to post pictures on here but I've taken tons!

Fostering is much easier with these "older" kittens. With my other foster litter, I physically found them on the porch (when I worked at the vet) and they were 2 weeks old, needing me to do everything for them (no mama). I cried and cried when they found homes. I wanted to keep all 4, but the SO said no. I still worry about them, I just hope their new owners are giving them tons of love and will keep them forever.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:37 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,022,012 times
This is Mommadog the semi-psychotic Akita/Chow mix. She'd been at the local shelter for a couple weeks. I brought her home the day before she was scheduled to be euthanized. Not a foster just a straight adoption.

She's a very sweet if slightly crazy girl. Smart but a bit headstrong. I've had her for about 3yrs and she still refuses to come in the house for more than 15mins. For all her quirks she's one of the most consistently happy dogs I've ever had.

The picture is from late spring. She looks a bit rough as she was blowing her coat.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:26 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,253,966 times
Outback, what a lucky dog you have! She's a doll, and I'm so glad you 2 found eachother. Everytime I hear a furbaby only had hrs to live & some loving person saved them, I get all choked up. Thank you for doing this....

Old 09-14-2010, 08:16 AM

119 posts, read 468,884 times
I really looked into fostering and would love to do it but hubby said no. He had some really legitimate reasons with us both working full time and a pretty busy schedule and already having a dog but when he found this cutie full of ticks, matts and fleas that someone had abandoned he brought her home and we are making her part of our family

https://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...1&d=1284473764
Attached Thumbnails
Rescue folks - let's see them fosters!-picture-115.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs