Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 05:26 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,032,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
People often think there is no warning signs but that is only because we are not that great at reading body language. There are always signs and they can differ based on if you have fear aggression or a dominant aggresion, changes in pupil size, ear position, tail position, body leaning forward,body stiffness, corner of lips moved just a tad, dog standing on its toes the list goes on but one of the biggest aggressive things a dog does which most people just seem to miss or not understand is staring as direct eye contact is a major aggressive move to a dog. The reactive dogs always gets blamed while in truth it is often the other dog staring at them that started the whole thing. That is why owners need to pay attention to their dogs when they are out with other dogs as too many people let them stare then get pissed when another dog reacts in a more noticeable display of aggression. But trust me we will never be able to match the dogs skill at reading body language so the signs are there we just miss them.

this is so so so true...... dave is showing some fear aggression when he is leashed..... and i see a number of these signs..... the only one i don't see is the lip movement, because when we are doing our morning walks in the park, i let them go and sniff where they want within limits of their leashes..... but i bet if i could see his face, i'd see the lip movement too......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 09:37 AM

3 posts, read 7,330 times
This is great information! Thank you all so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs