Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 05:08 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times

Advertisements

Hi, My dog is treated like a queen and is about 6 years old. She is a mixed german shepherd and black lab. Every time she gets hurt she will not let me touch her with trying to bet me. She doesn't very sure like other people touching her also. I got the dog from the dog pound when she was 10 weeks old.

Thanks, John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2007, 08:09 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,271,525 times
Well, I for one know when something is bothering me I don't want that area to be touched, countless folks are glad I don't bite It could be the way you're touching her is that it's creating more pain and she's merely reacting accordingly.

Old 05-27-2007, 09:08 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,681,544 times
Pet her a ton and massage her everywhere when she's feeling chipper and she'll get more accustomed for when you have to apply a treatment or something, hopefully.

Dogs are funny, though. We've had dogs kids would walk on by accident and they'd merely look up. Yet our Beagle-Terrier, you couldn't look at him crooked without a little "leave me alone" growl when he was in no mood. And God help somebody if they touched his ear(s) the wrong way by accident when petting him. What a character!

Old 05-27-2007, 09:15 PM

My dog might have infection between her toes. It's like fighting fire to take her to vet. Someone told me to give her Aspirin that I know has dogs of there own. They said only give her a half aspirin and no more. Does this sound right?

John

Old 05-27-2007, 09:34 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,816,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
My dog might have infection between her toes. It's like fighting fire to take her to vet. Someone told me to give her Aspirin that I know has dogs of there own. They said only give her a half aspirin and no more. Does this sound right?

John

Never give your dog more than a baby aspirin, that's what my vet told me...and only twice a day.

As for touching your dog when they are in pain, I've had some that growl and some that snap and others that don't do anything. So I guess it depends on the dog....if you have to give the dog treatment and are afraid of the bite you may get (and the mix you described sounds big enough to do some damage, so I wouldn't risk the bite either), use a muzzle on the dog then take it off when you're done with whatever you need to do. Good luck.

Old 05-27-2007, 09:37 PM

2,201 posts, read 2,515,857 times
Quote:
Every time she gets hurt she will not let me touch her with trying to bet me.
What did she want to bet on?

Old 05-27-2007, 10:07 PM

Irishmom thanks for the information on the baby aspirin. Here is where I found some information on aspirin for a dog.

Medication - Aspirin for Dogs

John

Old 05-28-2007, 01:53 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,816,764 times
Quote:
Irishmom thanks for the information on the baby aspirin. Here is where I found some information on aspirin for a dog.

Medication - Aspirin for Dogs

John
Well from that I guess my vet is being conservative on the dose...but she said to use baby aspirin because it dissolves fast and therefore doesn't sit in their stomach as long to cause gastritis.

Old 05-28-2007, 03:42 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,273,106 times
John, even with a dog 6 years old, it sounds as if she needs to go to a good obedience school....all of that being said, it is not that unusual for dogs to resist having their feet manipulated. If the foot is indeed infected, no amount of aspirin is going to do any good. She needs an antibiotic before the infection possibly passes into the bone, causing MAJOR problems. A trip to the vet is in order - and he can give you some medication to relax her before her trip if need be. I have a dog with an infected foot right now from a broken toe and it has been multiple trips to the vet - we can't seem to get it cleared up. Since their feet are on the ground it's just a pathway to infection.

But I do agree with the poster who said to rub her all over when she's feeling good - just a light pass over the feet at first, then working it up to actually holding the paw. It takes a LONG time and some are never happy with it.

Don't fight fire to take her to the vet - make it pleasurable, or as much as you can. Lots of treats and rewards - if you can get the muzzle on, your vet may be willing to come out to the car and conduct his visit there, or even make a house call. We have a senior and it's hard for her to get in and out, so that's what we do; we just pull up to the back of the clinic and the vet sees her there.

The basic problem, though, is that your dog is antisocial in some ways...maybe that's just the way she is, or maybe she hasn't been socialized enough with other dogs or people. This is something best started with a trainer....but I suspect your "queen" may have set herself up as the alpha of the household. She growls + you obey = she's in charge.

You do need a good muzzle but it has to fit properly - and the mesh ones aren't as good as the leather ones. I also hope your dog is crate trained if she doesn't like other people touching her. I know people have issues with crates - I did until I saw it in action. This is a way to keep you and any guests to your home safe and keep the dog relatively calm. I'd encourage you to get her to the vet and get the foot healed, then work with her on these other things. Even my hard core rescued Rottweilers have been turned around with the NILIF program (Nothing In Life Is Free) - google it and you'll find out a lot about setting yourself up as the boss, which is half the battle with dogs (and kids.... :-) )

Old 05-28-2007, 04:06 AM

661 posts, read 2,897,034 times
If a vet has validated the need for daily aspirin, the 10/mg per pound indicated on the website you linked to is what my vet goes by.

I always use buffered aspirin - not plain, not coated. It's easier on their stomachs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs