Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 05:46 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,055,877 times

Advertisements

You're getting defensive because we didn't have the details? You didn't give us the details. As the saying goes, "the devil is in the details."

I'm sure that you'll get some suggestions from the crew here. The only thing that I'd suggest is having some patience with your boy -- he came out of a stressful situation and doesn't yet know his family. You'll all get there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 06:09 PM

511 posts, read 2,200,495 times
The suggestions about crating were based on the info you gave. You stated only that they are crated at night and while you are at work. When you asked for advice, this was a red flag because dogs who are confined for long periods of time every day often are prone to behavior problems. So yes, that very well could have related to the issue you are concerned about & that's why it was pointed out.
ViralMD offered some great advice, both with the crate training methods and the book. Good luck with your dogs, don't give up on your new guy yet.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:10 AM

18,735 posts, read 33,419,471 times
"By stating single child syndrome, vindictive and attention issue - I'm describing what the situation appears in the best way I can to associate behavior with descriptions."

I think the point is that the problematic behavior is not associated with the descriptions/motivations to which you seem to attribute it. It would be hard to address the behaviors in a positive way if you misunderstand the motivation or cause behind it.
I personally think it sounds like the dog isn't motivated at all- he is reacting- and it's with fear and maybe panic. I believe if you have a better understanding of why he's behaving the way he is, it'll be easier to work with him for a more harmonious household.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:41 AM

1,688 posts, read 8,150,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chance2jump View Post
By stating single child syndrome, vindictive and attention issue - I'm describing what the situation appears in the best way I can to associate behavior with descriptions.
There are two interesting points about your choice of wording specifically:

A) By describing the dog's actions in terms of human emotions, you're attributing great convoluted thought processes to the dog. Dog's are simply incapable of such processes. And that leads on to the fact that

B) The absence of such words as "confusion", "fear", "anxiety", etc. etc. is as telling as the words you did elect to use.

While this may be written off as pure semantics, I truly don't think it is. It seems from your post that you believe the dog is soiling due to some sort of "evil intent".

You claim you only vented online and not to the dog. In my book, that's a nonsense. Seeing as dogs are capable of sensing far more than we are (an oncoming epileptic fit for example), barely concealed anger is not going to escape them. Just because you didn't shout at the dog does not mean the dog didn't realise you were very angry. The only facts I feel comfortable stating with any degree of certainty is that the dog was entirely clueless as to what you were angry about, who you were angry with, and what he could do to appease you - i.e. total and abject confusion.

However, I have to say that the description of the amount of exercise your dogs receive is something that sent me right over the edge. Simply put and based on the facts as described by you in your post, your dogs are hugely under-exercised. This will make any training or any behaviour modification you elect to do that much more difficult - a physically "sated" dog is a happy, receptive-to-training dog. Dogs have a minimum exercise requirement and it's as important to their physical and mental health as proper nutrition is.

I think you're looking for a quick fix and/or an easy explanation. At the end of the day it's going to be entirely up to you of course, but the only "fix" I see here is for you to stop and re-educate yourself about canine psychology and behaviour. ViralMD's recommendation of Patricia McConnell's book is any excellent place to start.

Old 02-11-2010, 12:15 PM

1,318 posts, read 5,273,981 times
WHY did you get a 3rd dog.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:43 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,913,146 times
Default You can do this!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chance2jump View Post
... but we know he was beaten, not fed well (very under weight), and matted with urine when he came into the shelter.
There's important information here. If the dog was covered in urine upon surrender it's likely that the problem you are experiencing with him peeing in his crate isn't something new. Dogs normally don't sit in their own waste. However, puppy mill dogs and dogs that have been severely neglected learn to tolerate living in their own urine and stool and housetraining them is difficult and can take a great deal of time. Since they lived in the small cages or crates where they eliminated, the normal crate-training/housetraining regimen often doesn't work. That's when we have to be creative.

Also, the shelter experience is terribly traumatic for many dogs and some take months to overcome the stress.

You are doing the right thing by not reacting to housetraining accidents. However, if the dog sees the crate as a form of punishment, as evidenced by his reluctance to enter it, you won't make much progress with his training by continuing to use it the way you are doing.

If you must use a crate then you will need to give the dog a crash course in learning to love the crate. Feed him there. Give him a Kong stuffed with yummy peanut butter or yogurt to munch on and make sure he only gets it when he's in his crate. If you can gate off a small area rather than use a crate, you might have better results.

Give him lots of attention and reward him when he does something positive, even if it's just sitting quietly. Get him to focus on you by spending time training him to do basic commands, like sit, stay, lie down and fetch. Your goal is to focus his energy on positive things and on you. If you can't watch him 100% of the time and are afraid he'll pee on the floor, don't crate him, use a belly band. PM me and I'll tell you how to make one cheaply and easily.

I understand the grass issue. But this is a young dog who needs exercise every day. Destructive behavior, especially chewing, is calming to many dogs and a way to help them manage stress. (Of course, we humans don't find it calming at all . Quite the opposite.) You may need to commit to a long leashed walk once or twice a day. Not only will he be tired out but the time you spend with him one-on-one will create a bond of trust and positive associations which both of you need right now. Believe me, it will help tremendously.

I've owned, trained and fostered dozens and dozens of dogs and I know you can do this. You took him from the shelter. That was his first step to having a real life in a good home. Now you have to take him the rest of the way. He doesn't know how to get there, but you do. You can get him all the way home.

Feel free to send me a DM if you like. I'll help you any way I can.

Best of luck

Old 02-12-2010, 03:00 PM

30 posts, read 78,139 times
Would you enjoy being in a crate all day and at night?

Surely you could have a room they could stay in without having them in a crate and you should never limit a dog on having water no matter how much they pee!

Old 02-12-2010, 07:55 PM

1,424 posts, read 5,339,908 times
It sounds like he is really confused about where he's supposed to go. He's been through a lot, and contrary to what you're concluding, he probably wants very much to please and be paid attention to (in a positive way), but he can't figure it out. Did you do basic potty training 101 with him when he got there and show him that outside is where it should be done? Are you going outside with him, waiting for him to go, and then praising and having a success party with him? And I agree with others, the crate needs to become a happy place, not the feared place he has always known it to be before. ViralMDs link will explain all that.

You sound like a good person trying to do a good thing for the dog. Maybe just back up a few steps and start from the beginning now that he is well. It will take some time and attention, but as soon as he figures out the rules, you'll all be happier.

Good luck!!! (I am going to pick up McConnell's book tomorrow myself!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs