Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 04:14 PM

1,439 posts, read 2,929,552 times

Advertisements

Umm...looking at your cats, I think they are going to let him know when to back off soon enough. They will probably double team him, and he'll never go near them again, lol.
He's a cute dog, and I'm sure with time you two will have a great relationship. After all, you've only had him 4 months?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 04:34 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,632,822 times
Chase is adorable as is your cats. I second everyone's thought that your husband needs to be doing more helping out with the dog.

I have a confession to make. I didn't like Ringo for a while when we first got him. My son wanted a Westie and I did not. That simple. However, I wanted him to have his own dog growing up as I did.

Ringo came home .. and he was stubborn, a digger, a runner, non-stop barker and didn't listen to a word I said. My son was 10 so you know how helpful he was. Many times I wished we had not gotten Ringo. I had a full time job and a full-time mother; my plate was full and Ringo was a untrained mess. I don't think he liked me any more than I liked him. I resented the exta work; he was just another noose around my neck.

When Ringo was about a year old (yes, I let it go on a year) -me, my son, and Ringo started going to agility classes and we all had such fun. Ringo learned to 'listen' and we learned to lead. Ringo was better behaved; which made him more likeable to me.

Then I started watching the Dog Whisperer (no rants) and began trying to walk Ringo every day; we found all kinds of hiking trails and I came to enjoy it and look forward to it.

Before long, we bonded . . and I loved him. And I could tell that he loved (or at least liked me a lot) in his doggie way. Not sure that I will ever have another Westie (maybe I will) but I would not trade Ringo for anything.

It didn't happen overnight but it did happen.

Whoo, that was cathartic.

Good Luck! Chase really is adorable.

Old 02-16-2010, 04:44 PM

1,318 posts, read 5,283,089 times
Awww, hes a cutie. Kinda looks like my Autumns coloring!
I wouldnt blame any of his bad behavior on the Boxer part....lol

Greenchili

Old 02-16-2010, 05:45 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,169,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlecrazy View Post
Hello everyone!
I found a picture of Chase that we took when we were at the Adoption event.
Oh my GAWD!!!!! I was expecting a monster.

But he's freakin' ADORABLE!!!!! I want to smooch him on the lips! What a cutie-patootie. Seriously!!!! Give him some hugs from his Auntie Dawnie, please. (Like how I'm now family? )

Old 02-16-2010, 07:11 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,551,208 times
I've had Buster for almost three years now and I picked him out, he is my dog....and he drives me up a wall daily, but I love him. He follows me around the house, gets up when I just slightly move on the couch, barks at everything, bites on the other dog (who is mine and my boyfriends) stalks squirrels through the window, has been to the vet more time in the past two years than I have been to the doctor lol has separation anxiety and I can't even use the bathroom in peace, but I couldn't imagine my life without him.

I think after some time you will grow to love him just as much as you love your cats. Just give him attention, know that he will be loyal to you, it might just take some time because this isn't necessarily the dog you wanted. One day you will come to realize that you couldn't imagine your life without this dog and how happy you are he is in your life

Old 02-16-2010, 07:24 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,482,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
No, not a bad person.
If you don't feel bonded to the dog in a deep way, maybe consider viewing him as an honored guest in your house, and one whose life was saved and is flourishing because of your adoption.
I took a beagle/basset from a co-worker, and the dog had been in lots of places. He's the only dog who could make me angry. If my other dogs act up or do something "bad," I feel like it's my doing, poor training, too many dogs, etc. But the beagle... what a pill he was to live with. So I decided to view him as, he's here, he doesn't have a home and wouldn't get one, and just accept him.
In my experience, you do come to love any critter you take care of. The depth of the attachment varies, of course.
I had Snoops for two years. He continued to be a pill to live with (knocking dishes out of my hand, baying, opening cabinets, stealing food, head in refrigerator... sometimes I'd even put him in his crate just so I could eat in peace!) But he came to want to sit next to me, put his silky head on my lap, and just curl up (after he finished raising hell) and then he began going under the covers and sleeping on my feet.
He had a heart attack while kenneled (very unusual) and I lost him at age 10 (?) after two years. As one friend said, "You gave him a lovely retirement." I've had better and more gratifying one-to-one relationships with other adoptees but giving him a home did turn out to be a good thing for both of us.
I wouldn't take another hound, I don't think. But each mutt I adopt sort of expands my "type." I just have a head start with border collie/cattle dog type herding mutts (although seem to have several shepherd mixes right now). I do think you come to love that which you care for, even if you'd have a head start or closer relation with another kind of dog. Just remember he's not doing it to tick you off, even if it seems that way!
Aww, thank you for this reply. I miss the way our neighbor's old beagle would bay at everything. I will certainly start to view Chase in that manner too, we rescued him from people who didn't want him, after all. I have to give him more time and play and affection.

THanks for the tip at the end too, sometimes it DOES seem that way!

Old 02-16-2010, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
Ahhh, he is cute! Your cats are cute, too.

You are trying very hard to love and care for this dog, but is your dh also helping with him? Playing with him? It wouldn't be fair otherwise, and it could help explain some resentment you might be feeling. I'd be hesitant about getting another dog until your dh really did step in and help more, because you might end up doing even more work. You said he'd "promised" to, hold him to it!! Just a thought, good luck. I'm sure it will all work out!

Thanks andthentherewere3! I talked with him tonight about my concerns and he says he will take on some of the responsibilities too. Well DH doesn't really like our one cat (the white one) so he screams at him sometimes and now Mo runs away from him all the time. It's weird to see how scared Mo is of DH.
Anyway, I will hold him to that promise. It was nice last week when dh had off all week due to snow (I had to work anyway) and he had to take care of the animals lol.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col.W.Deering View Post
Umm...looking at your cats, I think they are going to let him know when to back off soon enough. They will probably double team him, and he'll never go near them again, lol.
He's a cute dog, and I'm sure with time you two will have a great relationship. After all, you've only had him 4 months?
Yep you're right, only 4 months. I'm being early to complain about this issue, and I definitely need more time with him to warm up to him more. As I sit here typing this, our white cat is batting at Chase's face because Chase is trying to bite his whiskers. It's pretty funny.

Thanks Col. W. Deering

Old 02-16-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Chase is adorable as is your cats. I second everyone's thought that your husband needs to be doing more helping out with the dog.

I have a confession to make. I didn't like Ringo for a while when we first got him. My son wanted a Westie and I did not.
Thanks for your reply too. A good friend of mine has 4 dogs -- I don't know how she does it! She's got two Westies who are VERY stubborn, one Shepherd mix and a German Shepherd. The Westies actually run the house

I just need more patience, just like you had.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Oh my GAWD!!!!! I was expecting a monster.

But he's freakin' ADORABLE!!!!! I want to smooch him on the lips! What a cutie-patootie. Seriously!!!! Give him some hugs from his Auntie Dawnie, please. (Like how I'm now family? )
Haha, will do! He loves giving kisses, too bad his breath stinks (like all dogs LOL)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs