Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 06:24 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
Hm, looks like it's plastic bottles and drive thrus for me :P
I used to travel extensive numbers of miles solo with my dogs (1000+ mi.) It takes planning but can be done in relative comfort.

No reason to take "plastic bottles" when you can purchase reuseable thermal water jug or two. I kept these for my dogs so while on the road they had cool water from home to reduce stress.

Pack a cooler so you can pull over in a shady spot, give your dog some time outside the car (leashed of course), and both stretch your legs. Take a portable kennel/crate in case of emergency/unforseen breakdown. Doodie bags, food, treats, have water readily available throught the ride in a bowl. Suggest having your dog "chipped" if you have not done so just in case it might get lost far from home.

If you plan to stay overnight at a hotel pre-plan and know where along your rounte the pet friendly hotels/motels are. If you can stick to a plan an have a reservation in advance so much the better.

Try to do much of your driving during the "cool hours" of pre-dawn and early evening/night perhaps planning your hotel sleep recovery time during the hottest part of the day. This way you don't have to worry so much about your dog being in a hot vehicle alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2010, 06:28 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,189,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
That is why I have a truck now with a camper with a locking crate and set up to keep a dog cool.

But - you can leave the car locked and running with the A/C for short errands and check on it every few minutes - that is what those of us who have working dogs in the South and still have to attend to such things - do. Obviously that is not for anything more than a few minutes and where we eat, someone is usually out there checking on the dogs every 10-15 minutes.
I once left a car idling while I walked a child up to his house and as his mom came out to get him she screamed - the car had popped out of gear and was rolling backwards down the street. I would excerise caution about this.

Old 05-09-2010, 06:30 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
I once left a car idling while I walked a child up to his house and as his mom came out to get him she screamed - the car had popped out of gear and was rolling backwards down the street. I would excerise caution about this.
No emergency brake when in park?

Old 05-09-2010, 06:36 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,271,403 times
TOO hot in the Summer to leave a dog in the car.
As much as I LOVE our pups and would love for them to come along, I would advise not doing this.
Hubby told me a long time ago... if we have or need to travel with our dogs, we would have to buy or rent an RV that has AC in it, if we had to leave the dogs for any length of time.

I think in this case... as much as you love your dog, he/she needs to come first on this issue.
You'll be back before you know it & you can bring your dog some special treats back.
Just think about all the love the two of you will share when you get back from the trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs