Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 12:12 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,046,738 times

Advertisements

I noticed the same thing with my little Min Pin when she went through her first heat. I'm also waiting until she's a year old to get her fixed.

It makes sense that hormones would effect female animals much the same as it does us...

Poor baby!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 12:19 PM

4,604 posts, read 5,777,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
I noticed the same thing with my little Min Pin when she went through her first heat. I'm also waiting until she's a year old to get her fixed.

It makes sense that hormones would effect female animals much the same as it does us...

Poor baby!
Thanks WC. I guessed that was it but it is such the change from her normal 9 mth old crazy lab pup behavior that it started to worry me. This morning when we got up she didn't even do her happy good morning momma wiggle dance.

How old was your Min Pin when she went thru it? People keep commenting on how young she is to come into heat. The vet tech didn't seem suprised.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiegee40 View Post
Thanks WC. I guessed that was it but it is such the change from her normal 9 mth old crazy lab pup behavior that it started to worry me. This morning when we got up she didn't even do her happy good morning momma wiggle dance.

How old was your Min Pin when she went thru it? People keep commenting on how young she is to come into heat. The vet tech didn't seem suprised.
Since she was a stray, I'm not sure exactly how old she is. She was just a baby when she showed up out here last winter.

She's only been in heat once. That was last month.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Since she was a stray, I'm not sure exactly how old she is. She was just a baby when she showed up out here last winter.

On second thought, last winter was her second winter here. (I know because she's outgrown all of her winter jackets that I bought her the first year)

She's only been in heat once, though!!!

Old 05-17-2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:

How long did she bleed?

Old 05-17-2010, 09:05 PM

5,013 posts, read 10,696,212 times
All of her behavior is perfectly normal. Heat cycles are tiring--they're losing blood, which is why they lay around and sleep a lot. My GSD is also subdued when she's in heat. However, the first heat cycle is always the hardest b/c it is a new experience.

Re: how long it will last:

BigYellowDog.com's 97 Lab Tips (http://www.bigyellowdog.com/97labtips/answer.asp?q=48 - broken link)

Old 05-17-2010, 11:50 PM

Quote:
How long did she bleed?
She bled for about a week that was noticable. With little dogs, it's such a small amount that you can deal with it without it causing too much of a problem.

The GSD that we had when I was a little girl was an outdoor dog and she was spayed, too. I've never had a large breed female dog that was an inside dog.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:37 AM

Thanks Starla and WC. It hasn't even been a week yet and boy is this getting old. I don't know how people can put up with this long term. I look forward to her first b-day so she can be fixed.

I feel so sorry for her. She really doesn't like the diaper but that is the ONLY livable solution. I've been taking it off of her when I get home and we go hang out on the porch. I'm actually getting time to read a book. Normally we would be out on the trails getting much needed exercise. It seem very strange not walking her.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Thanks Starla and WC. It hasn't even been a week yet and boy is this getting old. I don't know how people can put up with this long term. I look forward to her first b-day so she can be fixed.

I feel so sorry for her. She really doesn't like the diaper but that is the ONLY livable solution. I've been taking it off of her when I get home and we go hang out on the porch. I'm actually getting time to read a book. Normally we would be out on the trails getting much needed exercise. It seem very strange not walking her.
Yeah,... you can't really walk her anyway. If you did, you might find yourself surrounded by male dogs!

I can't believe I've had CoCoa for over a year now... She's old enough to be spayed but there's no real rush for her. She's never outside alone.

Last edited by World Citizen; 05-18-2010 at 10:06 AM..

Old 05-18-2010, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Yeah,... you can't really walk her anyway. If you did, you might find yourself surrounded by male dogs!

I can't believe I've had CoCoa for over a year now... She's old enough to be spayed but there's no real rush for her. She's never outside alone.
Yeah a walk would not be a good idea. So far no males have shown up at my door. Bella is never outside by herself either but I will be making that appointment soon after she turns one. I don't want either of us to have to go thru this again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs