Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 06:12 PM

72 posts, read 250,218 times

Advertisements

If you like the eighties you're in heaven in Duluth. It is stuck in the eighties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 03:20 PM

2 posts, read 4,496 times
I loved what you had to say about Duluth, considering that my husband and I are thinking of moving our family there. We have 2 boys ages 5 and 2. If you have anymore information you'd like to share about school & neighborhood suggestions we'd really appreciate it

Old 08-18-2008, 03:59 PM

781 posts, read 2,628,363 times
Woah, this is an old thread. I had forgotten all about it.

I'm not sure who you were responding to (perhaps everybody that had contributed to the thread?), but if you have any specific questions about Duluth, there are many people on this board that will gladly answer them.

One of the biggest hurdles about moving to Duluth is finding an appropriate job. If you're in any medical field or any trades (plumbing, electrical, construction) you should have no trouble finding work. There are other opportunities in all of the other categories, but they are just harder to find. You'll want to make sure you have any jobs absolutely solidified before moving, as any of the alternative jobs areas are very competitive (IT for example).

As you mentioned you have two children, so I'll assume you're concerned about their schooling. Duluth has many great schools, but there is a lot a drama going on right now that may worry you. There is a huge controversy over what is called the "Red Plan", a $300 million dollar district wide school renovation. People are on both sides of issue. On the one hand, many of our schools could use an update and shiny new, modern schools do attract new residents and could be considered an investment in Duluth's educational system. On the other hand, it is very expensive, and some say, unnecessarily expensive. Putting additional strain on already financially stressed families. The good news for you, is that by the time your oldest son hits middle school, the entire issue should (hopefully) be ironed out and projects should be completed.

I've lived in Duluth my entire life and went through all levels of the Duluth school system and feel I've turned out alright.

If the public school system gives you the heebee jeebees, then their are multiple alternatives at every level. There are plenty of private elementary schools, as well as a highly acclaimed private Middle School to High School (Marshall). At the high school level, Harborcity School is a great free (Charter) alternative that that offers students alternative ways of learning with lots of hands on and self-exploration.

Duluth has many neighborhoods, and I've actually written a short write up about most of them awhile ago, and actually, now that I look it's in this very thread.

Here is a direct link to it: //www.city-data.com/forum/2014103-post76.html

Have you ever been to Duluth? What makes you think it's a good fit for you?

Old 08-18-2008, 08:47 PM

721 posts, read 2,609,794 times
aluminumpork hit the nail on the head about schools and jobs. He forgot to metion that the Duluth schools had the highest ACT scores in the state despite subpar buildings. Anyway, the schools do need a huge facelift and they are closing some too.

Despite that controversy, Duluth is a great city to raise your family if you get a good job (which is most likely the same for anywhere else too)!

What neighborhood are you considering?

Old 08-22-2008, 03:24 PM

394 posts, read 1,518,566 times
I move to duluth in 5 days!

Old 08-22-2008, 05:47 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,350,226 times
You could also look at Hermantown and Proctor, neighboring "burbs" if you will. They both have very good school systems too. I grew up in Duluth, and for me personally, I felt my education lacking and would look elsewhere. But that's just my opinion.

Old 09-02-2008, 04:08 PM

2 posts, read 4,496 times
I have never been to Duluth but have been to Stone Mountain and surrounding areas. My husband is going up there soon to check out the job opp he has and to make a better decision. My family has lived at the beach forever and would love a change. I really dislike Jacksonville Fl. and since I grew up in a small town, I look forward to raising my kids up in one as well. I have no idea about neighborhoods but I've heard Suwanee and Buford are good choices especially for schools.
Any suggestions on neighborhoods, schools, or areas in general to look for or avoid would be most helpful

Old 09-02-2008, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommasauces View Post
I have never been to Duluth but have been to Stone Mountain and surrounding areas. My husband is going up there soon to check out the job opp he has and to make a better decision. My family has lived at the beach forever and would love a change. I really dislike Jacksonville Fl. and since I grew up in a small town, I look forward to raising my kids up in one as well. I have no idea about neighborhoods but I've heard Suwanee and Buford are good choices especially for schools.
Any suggestions on neighborhoods, schools, or areas in general to look for or avoid would be most helpful
I think you have confused Duluth, MN with Duluth, GA. Suwanee, Buford, and Stone Mountain are all in Georgia. We have beaches in Duluth, MN but I think you would find the weather and water a bit cold for swimming compared to Jacksonville!

Old 09-06-2008, 06:28 PM

432 posts, read 1,120,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastle View Post
Duluth is like many rust belt cities attempting to redifine itself after the loss of manufacturing jobs, steel mill closures, and the lack of a diversified economy. Couple that with isolation and extreme weather and you have stagnation.

Duluth and the iron range had 17%-20% unemplyment in the late 70's and early 80's. The population of Duluth nose dived from 106,000 to 85,000 today. Yet, the big diiference is that the current economy has some bright spots. The healthcare industry has nearly 850 openings for nurses and mnay more for other professionals. The economy is diversified with the continued expansion of Cirrus Design, proposed expansion of Murphy Oil refinery, NorthStar Aerospace, Genesis Equipment, Enbridge Energy, the new school of business and economics at UMD, and St. Scholastica's Athen's project to name a few areas of growth.

The region did not have these opportunties 30 years ago. Yes, the area had UMD and CSS but they were much smaller. UMD has more than doubbled in size.

The region is struggling with population growth as the population pyramid is upside down with the majority of the population elderly and the smaller portion in their teens and twenties. This is not a local dynamic, but a national trend for the Northeast and Midwest as the majority of the US population shifts to the South and West.

Duluth also has a negative reputation for doing business. That will take a long time to change.
What is the Athens project? Is St. Scholastica getting a new building? If you have any info, please let me know.

Old 09-06-2008, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateduluthnative View Post
What is the Athens project? Is St. Scholastica getting a new building? If you have any info, please let me know.
The Athen's project is a Health Information Sciences program. It is nationally recognized and the first program in the nation . Advancing Technology and Healthcare Education Now at St. Scholastica (http://www.css.edu/x1314.xml - broken link)

Yes, CSS has a new building. They expanded the Wellness Center to accomodate more growth (including classroom space) and are now on another capital campaign to raise $15 million to build a new science center. CSS is still the fastest growing private collge in Minnesota and just welcomed its largest freshmen class ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth