Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2010, 06:30 PM

72 posts, read 177,589 times

Advertisements

So I walked by osaka sushi hibachi steak house and it looks awesome! Everything is in place there and the guy that was working there saw me looking through the window and he came out and gave me a menu. I asked when it would be opening and he thought next Sunday 12/12. Should be a fun place
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 10:00 AM

781 posts, read 2,628,037 times
I noticed today that the old motel next to the Super America on East Superior St (in Lakeside) is being torn down. It's about time! I'll have to ask them the next time I get gas and see what's going on there. I'd love to see some business tie in with the lakewalk directly behind it.

Old 12-06-2010, 10:49 AM

Turns out the the Super America is simply paving over the lot for extra parking (which they do actually need) and throwing some grass down on it as well. They mentioned the possibility of some picnic tables, which make sense with the the Lakewalk right next to it.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:46 AM

The DNT article in today's paper more or less confirmed the rumor that CVS is buying the Plaza property. To be perfectly frank, I've never much cared for that Plaza Mall and thought that it was poorly designed; especially from a parking and entrance perspective.

My only concern is the relocation of the existing businesses. I'm extremely happy that Duluth Running Co has successfully relocated, and hope that Jimmy Johns and Beijing are able to do the same. I'd hate to lose the only Jimmy Johns this side of the bay for a CVS. That said, having two brand new buildings in that area will do a lot to clean it up. Hopefully the old Walgreens property gets something a bit more interesting and perhaps the original Plaza owner will be able to build a new combined business building on it.

Regardless, it's good to see movement.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:46 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,450,207 times
I really thought that article was interesting. There have been rumors going around for a while, and like you said that article confirmed that the rumors are true. I thought it was weird though how they start to article by saying the businesses in the Plaza Strip center will have to my by summer because thats when the deal will go through. Yet later on they are talking about how it isn't really confirmed yet. Weird.

But, I think it will do a lot for the area like aluminumpork said. The new Walgreens, which hopefully will feature the new, less typical, prototype, will do a lot for the area. Not to mention a brand new CVS. I really hope that Jimmy Johns does relocate. I feel like they do very well in the East End, but it really wouldn't surprise me if they moved to a more central location like Downtown or the Miller Hill Mall area.

Old 12-16-2010, 01:03 AM

432 posts, read 1,120,201 times
The Plaza is the oldest shopping center in Duluth, possibly the oldest in the state, built in 1950 or '51. It will also be interesting what will happen to the old Walgreen's-maybe some of the Plaza businesses could take that space once Walgreens moves. I would also like to see the lower side of the Plaza redeveloped, but please keep Great Harvest Bread! And don't forget the Armory site! With all this redevelopment, this area is going to be the next "Old Downtown", or maybe just an extension of it!

Old 12-27-2010, 05:38 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,450,207 times
The Bid was put in today for the new CVS pharmacy. Its estimated start date... March 2012. So as far as I see it, Walgreen's doesn't have anything to worry about for a while.

Quote:
Site work and new construction of a retail building in Duluth. Preliminary plans call for the demolition of an existing strip mall and the new construction of a 13,000-square-foot national chain pharmacy. ...

Old 12-27-2010, 08:42 PM

129 posts, read 248,487 times
Wow that would be a long ways out. Yeah Walgreen's would be fine. When Are they set to start building?

Old 12-28-2010, 03:05 AM

432 posts, read 1,120,201 times
There is also a planned retail area at 46th Avenue West and Grand Avenue. I can definately see CVS locating there, too. Any news on Greendale, the remaining space at former Gander Mtn, Bed Bath & Beyond/HomeGoods, etc?

Old 12-28-2010, 08:20 AM

2,105 posts, read 4,599,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateduluthnative View Post
The Plaza is the oldest shopping center in Duluth, possibly the oldest in the state, built in 1950 or '51. It will also be interesting what will happen to the old Walgreen's-maybe some of the Plaza businesses could take that space once Walgreens moves. I would also like to see the lower side of the Plaza redeveloped, but please keep Great Harvest Bread! And don't forget the Armory site! With all this redevelopment, this area is going to be the next "Old Downtown", or maybe just an extension of it!
There have been in the past few weeks alot of television advetisements on the Plaza's local stores, naming each one and its benefits of shopping locally. I dont recall ever watching commercials on the plaza stores before though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth