Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2008, 03:10 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,353,105 times

Advertisements

Duluth is so unique that I agree with questioning the obsession with wanting more chains. If I'm a tourist heading to Duluth, I'd much rather eat at places that are unique to Duluth and not found in every other town. I'd rather shop at local stores than a store where I can shop at home.

I don't think you completely understand how many people come to Rochester either. We may not have a whole lot of tourists here but we have plenty of patients not to mention people coming from all over SE MN and NE Iowa.

Jobs definitely pay better here than they do up there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2008, 07:40 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,452,850 times
Yes. But also think of being a resident in Duluth. During the cold winter months when the hours of the local restaurants are shorten and places start closing earlier what do you do? Also some places close for the winter. Chains can live in Harmony with local stores.

Chipotle is not owned by McDonalds. It is owned by itself and McDonalds use to have a part in it but Chipotle when on their own way a few years ago.

Maple Square will have Nevada Bobs for sure and it looks like Pizza Ranch will be on the top level also. Look for it to be finished in the late summer. No word on the other tenants yet.

Duluth Hill is said to be starting contruction in the fall on a Culvers and Texas Roadhouse. It will also include another freestanding restaurant and also two strip centers.

The Old Gander Mountain space will be housing three tenants. One will be roughly 15,000 square feet, one around 8,000 square feet and the other around 7,000 square feet. The 15,000 square foot section and the 8,000 square foot section are already leased. There will be a totaly remodel of the interior and exterior of the building. Both of these tenants are National Retailers.

Old 05-14-2008, 07:52 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,345,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duluthian2008 View Post
Yes. But also think of being a resident in Duluth. During the cold winter months when the hours of the local restaurants are shorten and places start closing earlier what do you do? Also some places close for the winter. Chains can live in Harmony with local stores.
Not really. As a business owner, I find out everyday there is very little harmony between the local businesses and the big boxes. In the short term, Chipotle would destroy Burrito Union. (depending on location) Maybe they will survive, but their business would never be the same. Am I right in saying that Burrito Union is a locally owned small business?

Quote:
Chipotle is not owned by McDonalds. It is owned by itself and McDonalds use to have a part in it but Chipotle when on their own way a few years ago.
Good call. I didn't know that McDonald's was out of the picture.

Old 05-14-2008, 09:15 PM

Well Yes I first of all agree with you in the fact that Burrito Union is a locally owned small business. But I also think that Chipotle would never open in the west end, east end and maybe a small chance they would in downtown. But I think they would be more focused on Miller Hill and Canal Park.

Thanks!

Old 05-15-2008, 05:42 AM

What is the Shoppes of Cloquet development? Does anyone have any details about it?

Old 05-15-2008, 09:04 AM

781 posts, read 2,629,810 times
I agree that a BMW, Audi/VW or Volvo dealership would do great. There are SO many people in Duluth that could benefit from having local dealership repair service instead of having to drive down to the cities for warranty/recall work. Plus for me, if Foreign Affairs or SVS can't get me my an old Audi part, my last resort would be much much closer.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:49 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,353,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duluthian2008 View Post
I have been a resident of Duluth and I know about cold winter months. I also think the big box businesses cause a lot of small businesses to close and that's very sad.

That's quite funny that you capitalized Harmony as there is a town in Minnesota called Harmony and I'm not sure they have any chains there. It's only about 1000 people there.

Old 05-15-2008, 11:13 AM

781 posts, read 2,629,810 times
As I've stated before, I don't necessarily want want major chains to come in specifically. Any development that brings new names (whether chain or unique) to the area is good in my eyes. It can only benefit everybody, by showing movement, not stagnation. The past few years have shown more development than I've seen in my lifetime here, which I consider positive. Big box or not, a business's decision to locate somewhere means they see benefit from it and believe the area can support their business. The last thing the people of Duluth need to worry about is protecting current businesses. The "I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine" business mentality in this city is partially responsible for our lack of options. Local businesses stick with their buddies, even if an incoming competitor provides better and cheap products/services. That's why we have so few IT consulting companies, because CITON is in bed with so many of Duluth's dinosaurs (ZMC Hotels for one and the Goldfines on the whole).

The same goes for development in downtown. Building and revamping would happen much quicker if there weren't so many people and groups rooting for every old, run down building. I understand wanting to save buildings with historical significance, but there's a line. If a building is currently serving no purpose (and has been for years), looks ugly and deters from the overall downtown then if a developer comes wanting to tear it down to build something that will actually serve a purpose, we should let them! I know this is probably an issue is every city, but I think it hits Duluth harder than most. Fresh downtown construction means a brighter, safer, cleaner downtown and a healthier business climate.

Blah, this is sort of an awkward time for the city, lots of good things are happening and lots of bad things are happening. Several companies are either newly expanding here or existing companies are growing and building. Critical road routes are being redone (finally) and plenty of summer construction is planned and/or in progress. But at the same times, the city is facing some of its hardest financial times yet. Roads are only getting worse, and the repair rate is only getting smaller. Basin overflow problems need to be addressed and could end up worsening the city's debt issues.

It's like the city is at a balancing point. Things could end up very very well, and the next 20, 30 years could be very exciting. On the other hand, things could go very downhill, and the next 30 years could be very depressing.

Gah, this post is huge. Apologies.

</rant>

Old 05-15-2008, 03:26 PM

72 posts, read 250,349 times
Burrito Union is not very good. It is nowhere close to Chipolte. It does have a nice bar however.

Old 05-15-2008, 04:45 PM

Aluminumpork you summed up everything I have been trying to say in your last post. I am not rooting for only chains. If a nice restaurant or retail store wants to open in Duluth then go for it! It just seems that the chains are the only daring ones that will open here. I am for both types of businesses opening in Duluth. Places like Valentinis, Izzy Maggie, Hells Kitchen and other stores I feel are very great for Duluth! If we can keep getting places like these along with chains I think we will be set. Its nice to have a mix of both local and national. Thats all I am asking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth