Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2008, 02:31 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,452,504 times

Advertisements

By the way here is the site plan for Duluth Hill. It has changed a little from this one. The strip center next to the two restaurants is actually a fast food restaurant (Culvers hopefully, they are emailing me in a few weeks telling me their location they will be building in Duluth.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 02:42 PM

101 posts, read 271,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duluthian2008 View Post
So I emailed Chipotle about locating in the Gander Mountain site and they keep saying that Chipotle is not ready to take the JUMP to Duluth. Now this isnt like an automative answer, I talk to this person a lot. Now honestly, why wouldnt Chipotle locate in Duluth. I really dont understand, they have locations in tiny towns in the state and some places like Maple Grove and Rochester have two! Why cant we just get one? I mean we have the second largest student population in the state, plus one of the states largest amounts of tourists travel here each year. So really what is stopping Chipotle from opening in Duluth but instead opening in places like Elk River, population 19,000.

One Word - ignorance. Too many places like this see Duluth as too far away. I realize we don't have the wealth that the Twin Cities has, but we have the tourists. We draw from Michigan, the Iron Range, Wisconsin and Canada. There is no other big shopping destination North of the Cities. And we are a big college town, not only during the school year, but there are many programs throughout the summer. The biggest shopping months in Duluth (besides December) is July/August (excluding January which is the 3rd largest volume of retail sales during the year). It may take a little bit, but they will come. At least I know that they were looking.

Old 06-19-2008, 04:15 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,343,835 times
Personally, I think Chipotle would do well in Duluth. But these companies pay big money for market analysis. Plus the economy stinks right now. I'm would be willing to bet that same store volume is down, even for Chioptle. In St Cloud, you don't see the lines stretching out the front door anymore. I can't believe they are considering a second store in the SC metro.

Old 06-19-2008, 05:01 PM

I agree with everything you both have said. But I still think its just ridiculous. I mean for gods sake not only was both our Cold Stone Creamery's in the top 5 best performing locations for two years but also Olive Garden does extremely well. I mean this once again brings us back to how stores will not go out on a limb and try to locate here. None of these stores have failed in Duluth and how often do you see any chain store fail in Duluth? The mall gets 25,000 people per day on the week and over 75,000 on the weekend per day. Now honestly what does this say about Duluth? It just frustrates me so badly cause there are so many perfect spaces for Chipotle that they are missing out on. Those could be the spaces that bring Chipotle here, then when the pass up the offer and me letting them know they will be gone. So now what happens when Chipotle comes to look for those spaces? They will be gone. I know it sounds weird but I just think these companies really need to look at the city itself, not the area or distance from another major metro area.

Old 06-19-2008, 07:41 PM

25 posts, read 60,420 times
Seems like most of this discussion involves the mall area so I don't know if anyone would know this, but does anyone know anything about the building in West Duluth (on Grand Ave) that used to be Joyce's Kitchen? Its being remodeled and to me the design of the exterior looks like a fast food building but I haven't heard anything.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:44 PM

What is the address of of this building?

Old 06-19-2008, 10:56 PM

Walgreens voted down unanimously by the city council? What is the matter with this city? I know that if I was a resident in that area I wouldnt want it, but then again I would. It would have done so much for that area and they could have used a Walgreens in that area. Oh and I forgot, that means the city once again is turning down jobs. This city is going down hill more and more. Sorry Walgreens, nice try.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:34 PM

The former Joyces restuarants address is 5517 Grand Ave, Duluth, MN 55807. It was next to Charlies bar before that burned down.

Old 06-20-2008, 10:45 PM

I have no idea about that building. Are there any characteristics about what is being built that stands out?

Old 06-21-2008, 02:45 PM

I'm not good at describing but I took pictures with my phone when I drove by today.

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll212/sunkist901/joycespicture2.jpg (broken link)

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll212/sunkist901/joycespicture1.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth