Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 08:27 PM

49 posts, read 97,170 times

Advertisements

Pier B investor Sandy Hoff said the project put out competitive bids for a local architectural and contracting firm and have secured both of those with DSGW Architecture and Johnson-Wilson Constructors, respectively.

Hoff said they're about three weeks away from actually showing off new architectural schematic plans, but said progress is going well.

"I think we are living up to our mantra early on of creating something remarkable for our investors and this community. So stay tuned. It's going to be a lot of fun," Hoff said.

In March, stake holders, including the City of Duluth, announced a state grant for the project for about $1 million to help with demolition and infrastructure costs for the project.

The $32 million re-development project is scheduled for a soft opening in May 2014.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 06:01 PM

432 posts, read 1,120,913 times
I've always wondered how many stories can be made in those silos. I've heard that there's going to be additional floors added on top of it, what could the total number be? Can Duluth support any more condos? All the developments Downtown are struggling and have been since most of them were built 3 to 5 years ago. What name could the hotel be? Chain or local?

Old 08-28-2012, 03:26 PM

14 posts, read 22,105 times
I really don't think it will be much taller than it is now. They will probably add another structure adjacent to the silos for a lobby, pool and a conference center perhaps. I actually saw early conceptual drawings of the property and I swear it said "Grand" on what will be the hotel. However, I don't know of any chains by that name only individual hotels. I contacted the organization "CD in Duluth" (which stands for commercial development) on their Facebook page, but they have yet to voice their opinion.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:05 PM

73,031 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegasvice777 View Post
August 22 2012 DULUTH,MN---A vacant cement terminal may seem like that last place to house a resort and condominiums, but developers are planning to revitalize the old LaFarge cement plant, also known as Pier B.

DEDA met with developers today about approving the process to move forward.

DEDA members are giving developers and investors the green light on the Pier B development plan.

The site of the Pier B lot currently is lacking some good old fashioned TLC, but in March, ground will break on the new resort complex.

There will be 140 hotel units with seven condominiums.

The property will also include specialty shops, recreational facilities and a restaurant and bar.

Earlier this year, The Duluth Economic Development Authority was awarded one million dollars to begin cleanup of the five point eight acre site.

Pier B investment group is investing more than 30 million dollars in private investments that will cover most of the construction costs.

The team of investors and developers are finalizing additional financing needed from the Small Business Administration and National Banks.

"If you were to drive along the interstate and look out towards that piece of property right now, you are going to see those four silos. If you can image the rest of the development, it is going to be quite spectacular," John Gerzina, DSGW, said.

Gerzina says Pier B, which is undergoing a renaming process, will be a destination location.

A unique feature will be the silos built out as part of the hotel square footage.

Renderings have not yet been released, however, architects indicate that the style will reflect the history of the Twin Ports.

The site is set to open May first of 2014.
What are the name of these construction companies? I might try to see if I can get a job. Construction companies can use cartographers and GIS people like me.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:53 AM

Green Mariner

Contact Sandford Hoff with F I Salter Real Estate...as one of the developers, he might be able to get you the info you seek.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:53 AM

38 posts, read 72,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
What are the name of these construction companies? I might try to see if I can get a job. Construction companies can use cartographers and GIS people like me.
The ARDC is looking for a GIS person.

http://www.ardc.org/Default.asp?PageID=456

Last edited by HuskyGrad; 08-29-2012 at 10:03 AM..

Old 11-29-2012, 08:38 AM

38 posts, read 72,184 times
Canal Park Brewing Company will be having a soft secret opening starting at 4 p.m. today.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:56 AM

781 posts, read 2,629,205 times
Any thoughts on today's article in the DNT? Three Duluth building projects delayed; revamped plans unveiled for waterfront hotel | Duluth News Tribune | Duluth, Minnesota I'm excited to learn that Raymond & Co are going to be targeting the old Carlson book store so aggressively. I assume they will use the facility to finally be able to bottle/brew Fitgers beer? I could be wrong, and it could simply be used as additional capacity for their growing number of restaurants.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:47 PM

I was a little bummed out about the LaFarge terminal changes...it looks nothing like the conceptual drawings I saw last June that included things like a lake side restaurant and wharf style market...something locals could enjoy not just tourists. I don't see any evidence of that anymore. Hopefully all these projects get started sooner than later.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:10 AM

2,105 posts, read 4,602,051 times
Has anyone noticed that tall white tower the panels have been removed showing now the steel cross bracing. Is the structure being taken down?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth