Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 11:19 AM

2,714 posts, read 4,282,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
You are a punk kid who barely has his feet wet, bottom line.
Why even post on a forum when all you do when people give you advice is insult them?

You are very rude and I won't continue this discussion. It's not a surprise to me no one wants to hire you... being rude to people will never get you hired.

I guess I'll just go back to my 150K a year job... need to get some work done anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 05:10 PM

314 posts, read 936,062 times
Interesting thread. I think many of the posts here are good and have valid points. I do believe that you really have to do your research on what major you choose. My cousin and I both started college together and while she majored in Psych, I majored in chemistry. Although we went on to grad school to further our education after we graduated (undergrad) she could barely find a job while I had multiple job offers after graduating.

Old 07-09-2010, 05:17 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,182,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whydoucare? View Post
Interesting thread. I think many of the posts here are good and have valid points. I do believe that you really have to do your research on what major you choose. My cousin and I both started college together and while she majored in Psych, I majored in chemistry. Although we went on to grad school to further our education after we graduated (undergrad) she could barely find a job while I had multiple job offers after graduating.

Really? MSChemist whines about how his masters in chemistry is worthless all of the time.

Old 07-09-2010, 06:10 PM

314 posts, read 936,062 times
I am now a supervisor in a medical lab at a bay area hospital. I do hold a Clinical License Scientist cert in the state of CA. I'm sure this helps. But when I graduated with only my chem license I also had some experience with various lab techniques they used in the hospitals so I was able to land an entry level position that paid pretty good in this same lab. My MS is in medical microbiology. My chem degree was definitely not worthless as I am pulling in close to 6 figures.

Old 07-10-2010, 04:56 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,090,021 times
Quote:
I didnt claim that programming was the focus of computer science, nor did I pretend to know the average skill level of a computer scientists coding.
And I did not make any claims about what careers computer scientists typically go into so why are you responding to my claim about computer science education with it?!

Quote:
Just looking at Georgia Techs computer science program, they have whole paths to do everything from robotics to hardware design.
Robotics and computer science are two different fields that intersect on some levels. Computer scientists don't deal with hardware.

Quote:
Yep, I know absolutely nothing about programming, it must of been some weird dream that I took all those classes in high school.
No, rather those high school classes taught you next to nothing about programming.

Quote:
Its like saying, nailing in nails with a hammer is mundane, but building a house, thats awesome......who cares?
Yes, its a bit like that. But I guess you think construction workers just mindlessly nail things all day?

Regardless, you are trying to imply that programming is mundane but this is a statement of your own ignorance. The mundane tasks in programming get automated and what is left are the things that can't be easily completed by a computer. The primarily task of a programmer is to build things, not to type code. A programmer spends more time thinking than typing...

Last edited by user_id; 07-10-2010 at 05:09 AM..

Old 07-10-2010, 05:08 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,090,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
Where do I get these things? Hrm-- I don't know... Maybe from going to one of the top 10 engineering schools in the country and talking to hundreds of engineering students...
I guess logic is not your strong point, this does not tell me the underlying basis of your claim unless you are trying to suggest that the logical basis for your claim is irrationality.

Quote:
At those GOOD schools you have to work very hard for your degree. If you didn't, it wouldn't be classified as a top ten school...
Its amusing that you think that everyone has equal abilities. University rankings have nothing to do with the amount of time students spend studying nor the ease at which they learn things. University rankings are based on research, funding, placement, etc.

Quote:
Also, its my belief that if people breeze through college and don't study very much, yet still get good grades-- these people should have gone to a better school that could challenge them.
But wait....what if they are already at one of the top schools? Oh but that just does not happen right? Impossible!

Quote:
Also, a music degree is not even remotely similar to an engineering degree.
Right, they are rather different degrees yet both generally have a high work load.

Quote:
I believe music is a subject where it really should come to you naturally (but this is just my opinion, I don't really know as I haven't majored in music, just as you don't know about engineering as you didn't major in engineering).
Oh I see, so music is the sort of thing that some are naturally better than others but not engineering is not! Haha... This is a bit ironic considering on some levels similar parts of the brain are used.

You have no idea what I've studied, unlike you I don't yap about my degrees or try to fallaciously use them to justify my claims.

Old 09-01-2014, 08:58 AM

6 posts, read 4,425 times
racist GT people... all foreigners at GT get no offers and go back to their countries because all hiring in Georgia is based on last name. People with foreign last names get no offers in Georgia. Which is why it is baffling that any foreigner would go to GT.

Old 09-01-2014, 09:04 AM

If you are looking for equality and fairness go to a yankee university. All southern universities will gladly take your foreign money. And, upon graduation, you will be left with no job offers and go back to your country penniless.

Old 09-01-2014, 09:21 AM

All jobs in Georgia are reserved for card carrying rednecks with NASCAR last names. You are unwelcome and unwanted after graduation in Georgia by employers. You will get no simpathy from The redneck CNN (confederate news network).

Old 09-01-2014, 09:26 AM

You can tell by the rednecks unsympathetic remarks that the top sport in Georgia is to make fun of unemployed disgrutled ethnics. Blood is thicker than water. this is a classic Georgia statement. Every redneck is going: I just do not know what this foreigner is talking about, when i flunked out of Georgia Tech, Georgia Power instantly gave me a job as CEO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics