Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2011, 07:03 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,410,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Hypermiling is exactly what I do without knowing the term. I anticipate a red light slowing down way ahead or just coasting to it. I don't gas it when the light turns green, I give it a feather touch. I round corners without giving it the gas. It really is a skill, like choreography, kind of fascinating. I keep thinking that driving at 35 mph is better than driving a golf cart at 10 mph, and both will get me where I need to get to...sooner or later.
yes....but what you mentioned is just the start. dedicated hypermilers cut the engine as they pull into parking spaces.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:53 AM

Gas jumps 2 cents, tops $3.90-a-gallon nationwide - Apr. 29, 2011

Old 04-29-2011, 09:13 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,550,601 times
Oil Prices too high?

Naw, just take another hit from the tailpipe/crack-pipe of the car in front and hum along . . .

(just needs an update for US and Oil)

======================

"Not An Addict"

Breathe it in and breathe it out
And pass it on, it's almost out
We're so creative, so much more
We're high above but on the floor

It's not a habit, it's cool, I feel alive
If you don't have it you're on the other side

The deeper you stick it in your vein
The deeper the thoughts, there's no more pain
I'm in heaven, I'm a god
I'm everywhere, I feel so hot

I'm not an addict (maybe that's a lie)

It's over now, I'm cold, alone
I'm just a person on my own
Nothing means a thing to me
(Nothing means a thing to me)

Free me, leave me
Watch me as I'm going down
Free me, see me
Look at me, I'm falling and I'm falling.

It is not a habit, it is cool I feel alive I feel...
It is not a habit, it is cool I feel alive

I'm not an addict...

Old 04-29-2011, 10:35 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,978,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
yes....but what you mentioned is just the start. dedicated hypermilers cut the engine as they pull into parking spaces.
I do that too...and I gently roll OUT of parking spaces. I find I'm enjoying driving this way, even without the gas intention. I had a serious accident twice in a parking lot so that has something to do with "driving elegantly."

Old 04-29-2011, 10:39 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,978,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post

"Not An Addict"

Breathe it in and breathe it out
And pass it on, it's almost out
We're so creative, so much more
We're high above but on the floor...
Did you write this?

We are a nation of addicts but not unlike any other advanced nation. Complicating our fuel addiction is the geography of space--we have so much, it's so spread out, and so are our highways and roadways. It's going to mean a LOT if we ever seriously have to cut back, not to mention foods & goods transportation costs.

Old 04-29-2011, 01:34 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,737,076 times
Quote:
Heard on the news last night that the oil companies are enjoying record-breaking levels of profits. Not trying to be pessimistic, but something's going on unlike gas price bubbles in the past. I'm not sure anything's going to pop this one. They are probably trying to get us at least up to what the Europeans are paying (but the Europeans generally drive tiny cars and live close-in, so their pain may not be as great as ours).
Watch the oil inventory reports posted each wednesday. You'll see that we log a surplus most of the time and that PURE WALL ST. SPECULATION is driving up prices. Europeans pay alot for gas but they get the perk of universal health care rolled into that hefty price per gallon...all we get is a kick in the crotch.
With refiners at ~80% capacity, $2.80 a gallon at the pump was the wash point where demand met supply....shipping was reasonable and therefore inflation was minimal....that price area is sustainable. This $4+ robbery is not, and will bring the 2nd dip in our double dip guaranteed.

Old 04-29-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
Watch the oil inventory reports posted each wednesday. You'll see that we log a surplus most of the time and that PURE WALL ST. SPECULATION is driving up prices. Europeans pay alot for gas but they get the perk of universal health care rolled into that hefty price per gallon...all we get is a kick in the crotch.
With refiners at ~80% capacity, $2.80 a gallon at the pump was the wash point where demand met supply....shipping was reasonable and therefore inflation was minimal....that price area is sustainable. This $4+ robbery is not, and will bring the 2nd dip in our double dip guaranteed.
prices go up around this time of year because of the change at refineries to the cleaner summer blend. this has some, short term, effect on gas prices as useable capacity is lwoer.

$4/gallon and people are still paying it and driving their Tahoes to work....so apparently not everyone thingks it's robbery.

Old 04-29-2011, 04:41 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,550,601 times
Quote:
Did you write this?
Oh, no. It was a mildly popular song from a few years ago.

Sample >>>

YouTube - K´s Choice-Not an addict Lyrics HQ

Quote:
We are a nation of addicts but not unlike any other advanced nation.
Good use of the *We* there. Points out to me that while I am pointing at US as addicts, I have a few fingers pointing back at me, as in truth, I made a lunchtime 12 step meeting, myself, today. I suppose as the schoolyard taught -- Takes One to Know One, huh?

As far as advanced nations and fuel choices . . . followed much on Germany and Mercedes path off of Oil?

Mercedes to cut petroleum out of lineup by 2015 | Yahoo! Green

Quote:
Complicating our fuel addiction is the geography of space--we have so much, it's so spread out, and so are our highways and roadways.
Maybe not such a bad thing. Whether matters are strengths or weakness are mostly dependent on how one plays the cards dealt. Getting more specific is our use of Oil -- Not so much fuel, per se. The use of Oil is where our problem starts -- and so can stop, and continue Happy Motoring, if that were the goal. But it means we have to stop burning Oil.

So we have millions of miles of roads and highways? Means A LOT of area for renewables, there. That it is widely spread out can again be a strength. Plenty (and plenty and plenty) of space for wind and solar, without even using any additional space.

Some background on the scope of problem -- or opportunity, depending on the mindset >>>

Transportation Chapter

Quote:

It's going to mean a LOT if we ever seriously have to cut back, not to mention foods & goods transportation costs.
I do agree that food is MUCH more important than a Sunday drive in a bling-bling mobile, or driving all the kids back-and-forth twice a day on school buses (who in the world thought up that moronic scheme, anyway? )

Back to food. Yes, that is important. Everybody's got to eat.

Some background on Oil-Less food production?

Exchange with Phil Timmons Re: the Electric Farm « Green Thoughts

You can probably figure out which part of the discussion was mine, and it became the genesis of our Electric Farm designs.

Old 04-29-2011, 04:45 PM

1,943 posts, read 3,339,789 times
Quote:
Where is here?

Michigan..........

Old 04-29-2011, 05:45 PM

2,811 posts, read 5,628,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
I have been screaming about this for the last couple of months. Sure, the speculation going on is not illegal, so the Justice Department's investigation isn't going to find any wrong doing- but why can't we get fired up and outlaw this kind of speculation? I read that up until 2001, I believe, there were regulations in place only allowing those who were going to take actual delivery of the oil to buy oil futures. That of course kept rif-raff out of the market that were just buying and selling intending to make money. Is there any way we can get this kind of regulation put back in place? We already HAD it, so it's not like it would be some doomsday unknown thing if we tried it- we already know it seems to work, and it seemed to keep oil prices pretty stable. The only thing that would truly cause oil prices to rise/fall would be true supply and demand. So why not? How do we get this to happen? It seems everyone- including our leadership in Washington DC- just sit here feeling like victims when it seems there is a solution- and all it would mean is going back to a regulation we had in place up until ten years ago!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics