Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 10:15 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,473,258 times

Advertisements

I'm not talking about people living in McMansions. In those cases, unless they're rich, it's obvious that they're in debt.

I'm talking about young people that work part-time minimum wage jobs but somehow they manage to support themselves.

I know someone that works a part-time minimum wage job and his roommate also works a part-time minimum wage job. But as far as I know, they support themselves. I don't know how they do it.

They don't live a life of luxury. But they don't live in poverty either. They pay for college, rent a house together, drive cars (which is expensive when you add up the price of the car, insurance, gas, and maintenance), and they go out to eat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 10:35 AM

2,714 posts, read 4,282,407 times
debt or taking money from parents

Old 06-03-2011, 10:43 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
debt or taking money from parents
This is actually quite common, when the parents have some dough.

I know a medic and his wife that are supporting not one, but TWO kids in New York City (talk about expensive ). Odd thing is...the kids each have their own apartments! The mother (who does not work) wants the 2 kids to "get settled in their own careers" before getting married.

Now...how do you "get settled in your own career" when Daddy is subsidizing every bit of food that goes into your mouth?

Old 06-03-2011, 10:45 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,473,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
This is actually quite common, when the parents have some dough.

I know a medic and his wife that are supporting not one, but TWO kids in New York City (talk about expensive ). Odd thing is...the kids each have their own apartments! The mother (who does not work) wants the 2 kids to "get settled in their own careers" before getting married.

Now...how do you "get settled in your own career" when Daddy is subsidizing every bit of food that goes into your mouth?
Just because someone is being supported by their parents doesn't mean they can't get settled into their career. Since they live somewhere expensive, maybe they need some support from their parents while they're getting their career established.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:15 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
Just because someone is being supported by their parents doesn't mean they can't get settled into their career. Since they live somewhere expensive, maybe they need some support from their parents while they're getting their career established.
I'm trying to stay on topic. You asked how some people seem to be able to keep up a lifestyle without much visible means of support. That was the issue I addressed.

Whether these 2 kids ever get "established in their careers" or not is another issue entirely. Given that they are both daughters, I tend to think they will marry long before they can support themselves in Manhattan on their own.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:31 AM

3,770 posts, read 6,744,556 times
Observations from my early 20s... parents, savings from high school jobs, student loans, selling drugs, stripping, using boyfriends to pay rent.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:33 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times
there's lots of ways to survive on lower incomes. but there is a limit. i know people who live in manhattan and started out making $30,000/yr 5-6 years ago. they couldn't do much of anything, and lived in tiny apartments...but you'd be surprised how little people can get by on

Old 06-03-2011, 11:47 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
They've successfully matched their cashflow in and out.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:22 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,396,200 times
They're probably in debt...student loans, car payments, etc. Perhaps help from parents, like others have said.

Old 06-04-2011, 01:19 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,057,017 times
I think postulating, and asking people who have never even been near the people in question, is honestly kind of idiotic. You never know how people run their finances or their past, even if you are in similar situations.

It's not that wondering is the problem, everyone does it to some degree, the problems is building narratives that affect how you interact with the people.

There are three people in my job position in my department, we all have vastly different financial situations even though we do similar things outside of work and are paid in a narrow salary band. Even knowing one persons financial situation leads to "foot ending up in mouth" disorder, let alone just guessing from what we do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics