Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 01:36 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,508,655 times

Advertisements

So..........................I'm watching the Republican debate in New Hampshire and the question comes up about creating jobs in America. I noticed one the responses to this question was to dismantle the EPA. I believe one of the candidates specifically said it was a "job killer."

Now obviously because of time restriction at the debate the Candidates didn't have enough time to get into the specifics of why it needed to be dismantled.

sooooooooo..........Let me ask you guys since we have the time here to answer with more specificity.

Why is the EPA a "job killer?"

Does the EPA need to be dismantled (perhaps reconfigured) to help the U.S. economy?

Would America as a whole truly be better off without the EPA? (I understand this last question is more in the politcal/social realm......but...I think business health does has to be weighed against other concerns.)

Last edited by baystater; 06-16-2011 at 01:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 06:00 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
regulations they want to pursue curbing carbon dioxide emissions would eliminate certain means of producing energy like coal and they would also increase the costs of energy across the board. so you lose jobs in certain energy operations and you increase energy costs which could hurt businesses ability to remain profitable and stay in business.

the alternative argument would be that the world is doomed if we continue to emit co2 and so its worth the sacrifice.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:02 PM

26,406 posts, read 46,575,260 times
The ever expanding plutocratic corporate empire would have you believe that the EPA is bad when in fact air quality in most parts of the US has significantly improved under the Clean Air Act. The big coal lobby which includes Peabody and Arch want to gut the powers of the EPA in order to blast off mountains for easy coal plays, and to hell with anyone who actually lives there. Visit these areas.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
regulations they want to pursue curbing carbon dioxide emissions would eliminate certain means of producing energy like coal and they would also increase the costs of energy across the board. so you lose jobs in certain energy operations and you increase energy costs which could hurt businesses ability to remain profitable and stay in business.

the alternative argument would be that the world is doomed if we continue to emit co2 and so its worth the sacrifice.
Also, most coal plants are very old and grandfathered into the system. Many are still not taken offline when they should have been decades ago. Just replacing a few of those with natural gas would improve air quality.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:14 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
im mostly concerned about my electric bill and the silly schemes politicians and opportunists are coming up with that will cause it to go up. there is nothing about "cap and trade" that isnt totally corrupt. if you wish to cap, then work with private industry to come up with fair caps. but never trade, trading is soooooo corrupt.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:17 PM

34,089 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
It isn't.

Quote:
Would America as a whole truly be better off without the EPA?
No.

The job killer is when Corporate executives move plants and operations away rather than choosing to INVEST in AMERICA even if that means changing processes and ingredients in order to be safe(er).

Old 06-16-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
im mostly concerned about my electric bill and the silly schemes politicians and opportunists are coming up with that will cause it to go up. there is nothing about "cap and trade" that isnt totally corrupt. if you wish to cap, then work with private industry to come up with fair caps. but never trade, trading is soooooo corrupt.
Most states have renewable portfolio standard that a big chunk of electricity comes from renewables. States where this has worked without much change in rates have been Minnesota and Iowa. Wind energy is a bug rural growth industry in those states.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:46 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Most states have renewable portfolio standard that a big chunk of electricity comes from renewables. States where this has worked without much change in rates have been Minnesota and Iowa. Wind energy is a bug rural growth industry in those states.
Funny you mention Iowa - the Duane Arnold nuclear plant, when I was working there 20 years ago, was capable of carrying the entire state's electric grid, so they can afford to use windmills when the wind is blowing, but DAEC carries the load when it's calm, I would think.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:26 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,903,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
So..........................I'm watching the Republican debate in New Hampshire and the question comes up about creating jobs in America. I noticed one the responses to this question was to dismantle the EPA. I believe one of the candidates specifically said it was a "job killer."

Now obviously because of time restriction at the debate the Candidates didn't have enough time to get into the specifics of why it needed to be dismantled.

sooooooooo..........Let me ask you guys since we have the time here to answer with more specificity.

Does the EPA need to be dismantled (perhaps reconfigured) to help the U.S. economy?

Would America as a whole truly be better off without the EPA? (I understand this last question is more in the politcal/social realm......but...I think business health does has to be weighed against other concerns.)
Well that is pretty much a loser for the Republicans. Yes people want jobs but they also tend to like clean air and clean water. The EPA should probably be put on a shorter leash and it should be required to do a cost/benefit study of any regulation it has. But no, it should not be eliminated.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:30 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,903,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The ever expanding plutocratic corporate empire would have you believe that the EPA is bad when in fact air quality in most parts of the US has significantly improved under the Clean Air Act. The big coal lobby which includes Peabody and Arch want to gut the powers of the EPA in order to blast off mountains for easy coal plays, and to hell with anyone who actually lives there. Visit these areas.
They will push you around as much as you let them. The nuclear industry is the same way too. They think they can bring their waste out here and dump it on us with no compensation at all. We let them know we are not having it (Yucca Mtn).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics