Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 07:36 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,910,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Not likely an error.

Repeat this "error" thousands of times, and figuring that only maybe 1 in 10 customers even notice or complain, and half of those do not get the returned credit . . .

Fraud, err ah "errors" work out to become nice little profit centers.
O.K., let's say those "errors" are intentional. I have no inside information which allows me to say they aren't, nor do I claim that they wouldn't do that, although I remain unconvinced. That is, in my own mind I just don't know if they are intentional or not.

What interests me is your estimate (and I read it as your own estimate only) that "only 1 in 10 customers would even notice or complain". You have a very pessimistic view of how many people are paying attention to their own money. I would catch such a thing in a split second (metaphorically speaking) and I would complain immediately upon discovery. Are there really that many people not monitoring their accounts for fraud/unauthorized charges? If so, I find it scary. It is so easy to do - one only has to look at the account online and verify that the balance shown by the bank equals the balance one has kept track of oneself. The frequency of such monitoring would be according to each person's comfort level. With me it's a minimum of once a week. People's negligence does not excuse wrong-doing by a bank, but negligence on that scale (provided you are close to correct) surprises me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 08:16 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The great chase View Post
for the second or third time out of ~2 years, Bank of america randomly charges me a $8.95 fee
How does their paper (or online) statement describe this "randomness"?

I wonder why I've never had one of these "random charges" from a bank...

Old 12-05-2012, 11:22 AM

3,146 posts, read 4,106,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Not likely an error.

Repeat this "error" thousands of times, and figuring that only maybe 1 in 10 customers even notice or complain, and half of those do not get the returned credit . . .

Fraud, err ah "errors" work out to become nice little profit centers.
I absolutely agree with your premise but rather than thousands, it's probably more like tens or hundreds of thousands of "errors".

Of course, if the "error", we're in our favor, BofA wouldn't even hear an explanation or apology but would move heaven and earth to get the money back and probably slap us with some type of penalty.

That's why like the previous poster, I also do my banking at an FCU.

With few exceptions, f*** the banks.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:29 AM

344 posts, read 427,780 times
I would never do business with Bank Of America.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:51 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,019,409 times
Ditch Bank of America.

Zombie bank.

Old 12-08-2012, 07:55 AM

344 posts, read 427,780 times
What is comical is seeing all the BOA advertisements in this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics