Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 02:45 PM

329 posts, read 460,575 times

Advertisements

soon you will get kind of atm to order food at mac do....

then flipper burgers will be replaced by robots.

one robot cost 14000$, and work 24h non stop, maintenance each 4 years.

human, can u do better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 04:13 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,013,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
Excellent and concise. This is it in a nutshell. It's a kind of corruption that's legal.
Corruption is legal in the US. It reminds me of how lawmakers continuously refer to the NSA spying programs are moral because they're legal, conflating the two. In my city a tax assessor can become a lobbyist and lobby the same department he worked for to get tax appeals on assessments for clients. They call them tax agents here but we know they're lobbyists. All they have to do is wait one full year after public service to become a tax "consultant" to private clients. It's really all a revolving door, even at the local level.

But that is beyond the point, and while I am a left wing true believer, I also don't think a stricter tax increase on the rich is going to solve all problems nor would increased social services, or the liberal pet issue of more education. I think we need fundamental structural change. I mean we saw the roll backs of the Golden Age post WWII and the ascent of neo-liberalism. That wasn't some happenstance occurrence that just came about because the economy was going global, hell the economy was more "global" in 1919 then in 1955. It was a calculated roll back of the gains of the 20th century in order to achieve neo-liberalism. This means you can champion all the reform you want but it can and most assuredly will be rolled back. The problem is systemic, not one of "cronyism", "corporatism" (the new buzzword), or a few bad apples.

Old 07-21-2013, 05:04 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,913,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
That is five years old. It is 354 currently.
Phew! We really dodged a bullet there!

Old 07-21-2013, 05:16 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
The reality is when former Chinese and Indian peasants can do your skill and have the facilities to do so; they have climbed and you have dropped in demand. That is 1/4 of the worlds population in two countries. Its bound to have deep effects as they get more and more competitive.

Old 07-21-2013, 05:20 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
The reality is when former Chinese and Indian peasants can do your skill
and have the facilities to do so they have climbed and you have dropped in demand.
Only when that "you" is someone who can only do what a Chinese or Indian peasant can.

Quote:
Its bound to have deep effects as they get more and more competitive.
Let's hope so. The better they can do there the fewer that will come here.
(of course doing something about the 14th is still needed)

The key is in making things they can't or making them at a better value so that we can continue to sell
into their market until we can finish moderating our production levels to align with a moderated population level.

Last edited by MrRational; 07-21-2013 at 05:52 PM..

Old 07-21-2013, 05:31 PM

Actually I've heard the problem lies squarely with those employers hiring the labor in India and china.

Supposedly, that labor is as much unskilled as migrant labor in the construction field. A fiend of mine from China said that he doesn't understand, except of course because they're cheap, why employers in engineering and tech firms search out Chinese and Indian college grads. He said that, and this isn't the case for all, the universities in both nations are not as good as American ones. Some of his colleagues graduated with degrees in engineering and have barely the skill of a mechanic when it comes to application. The schools are rife with corruption and filled with students that didn't want to major in that field but felt it was necessary. With so many jobs for so many people many end up working in fields unrelated to the major and many others are so bad at what they were hired to do they drop out of the field.

So the largely hyped fear of Chinese and Indian tech workers is unfounded.

Old 07-21-2013, 07:12 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
I think it depends what industry you are in. I am in healthcare and have my own business, which was thriving for 16 years. The last five years it has been declining. By the end of this year, I will probably be out of business. Thanks, Obama!

Old 07-21-2013, 07:14 PM

651 posts, read 863,044 times
We are in the midst of an economically dominant “Debt Supercycle” – for more background on this, read the article, “What is the Debt Supercycle?.” Here are the 7 phases I am expecting:
  1. Boom (complete): Excess speculation and leverage, asset prices (real estate, stock markets) rise.
  2. Bust (In progress): Debt decreases; asset prices drop (housing, stocks); banks fail; and economic growth slows.
  3. Government spending (in progress in US, Europe, Japan): Public debt increases; an economic “boomlet” due to spending (in progress).
  4. Bond crisis (in progress in Southern Europe): interest rates rise as creditors lose confidence; rising interest rates cause stocks and bonds to fall; inflation begins; government budget crisis as borrowing costs rise.
  5. Currency crisis (soon): governments try to solve crisis by printing money, currencies plummet; interest rates rise; inflation soars.
  6. Austerity (In progress in Europe): governments restructure debts and entitlements, cut spending, raise taxes and head toward balanced budgets.
  7. Normalization (not yet): economic rebuilding and prosperity.

Old 07-21-2013, 08:06 PM

Normalization after austerity does not mean prosperity. It means people have accepted the lower standard of living.

Old 07-22-2013, 02:22 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,876,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Normalization after austerity does not mean prosperity. It means people have accepted the lower standard of living.
Yup, and they have no choice in doing otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics