Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2020, 06:01 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,732,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaktonite View Post
You're right, but wait till The Bootstrappers get here...
The reality is most rags to riches stories are pure BS.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/prospec...h-rags-riches/

Those so-called bootstrappers almost always have some type of intrinsic advantage that helped him to become wealthy/successful, but they intentionally gloss over it because it goes against the idea that they earned
/achieved what they have all by themselves.

Exhibit A:

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffon652 View Post
And even when I made good money I chose to live with my parents (at the cost of my social/dating life) so I could save up money to invest money/buy a really nice place.
If only the rest of us were smart enough to be born to parents who could afford to have us mooch off them as adults.

Last edited by citidata18; 10-12-2020 at 06:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2020, 07:34 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,903,838 times
Poverty and the escape velocity required is dependent upon the following:

- Genetics (mental acuity and agility, discipline, ability to delay gratification...etc)
- Luck/Timing
- Social connections
- Geography you were born or raised in
- Momentum from what your parents did before you were born

Lamentable but most of this , 90% is NOT within your control.

The starting point is understanding and accepting this reality, that the ascent upward will be lonely, because it requires you detaching from everything you've ever known and trailblazing a path uncharted with NO allies. Your family will criticize you, your friends will abandon you.

If you win the genetic Lottery and have the right configuration of brain cells you can do it. But most will not be lucky enough.

I was blessed not only with proper raising but in my late 20s my grandfather's genetics really started kicking in and I became much more left brained which led to my income increasing dramatically. Had my sequence been a few alleles off I would probably be floundering after community College like some of my high school classmates.

I'm not saying it's impossible if you don't have good genes, but I just can't tell you how to do it how I did. If you're poor TODAY depending on your age you can't do it the same way I did. That bridge is gone, you'll have to find another one to cross. That's the best way I can explain it.

It's not as easy or simple as the gurus or bootstrappers frame it. Keep in mind if you're young DO NOT listen to Boomers. Their advice will be largely irrelevant and inapplicable. When I was unemployed post college Boomers told me to get a Master's degree with no working experience. That would have been a disastrous experience i would have never recovered from.

Look at what people are doing who are 5-10 years older. No older than that. Learn from their mistakes and start from there. I always made sure I made Friends 5-7 years older and that helped me ALOT.

Old 10-12-2020, 09:53 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,798,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
No shortage of those here if you peruse this subforum and the political subforum. Tons of relatively wealthy people whining about their taxes going up.
Nobody wants to pay tax. Our society is a constant battle between people who want to do nothing and get everything free, aka through tax money, and the people who already paid a lot of tax and don’t want their tax to go up. The politicians don’t pay more taxes, they get to decide who pay more. Simple. It’s not their money, it’s other people’s money that they want to dole out. Easier said then done for the politicians.

Old 10-12-2020, 09:56 AM

Quote:
The reality is most rags to riches stories are pure BS.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/prospec...h-rags-riches/

Those so-called bootstrappers almost always have some type of intrinsic advantage that helped him to become wealthy/successful, but they intentionally gloss over it because it goes against the idea that they earned
/achieved what they have all by themselves.

Exhibit A:

If only the rest of us were smart enough to be born to parents who could afford to have us mooch off them as adults.
Failed post. I can cite a number of dumb persons who I know closely, they have 8-figure now. I’m related to them, that’s how I know their net worth. Spend less time complaining on C-D, more time maximizing your income is how you do it.

Old 10-12-2020, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
...I can cite a number of dumb persons who I know closely...
Intellect has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Donald Trump is pretty dumb, but he still had the intrinsic advantage of being born to a father who was a multi-millionaire that was able to give him millions of dollars.

Old 10-12-2020, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Nobody wants to pay tax. Our society is a constant battle between people who want to do nothing and get everything free, aka through tax money, and the people who already paid a lot of tax and don’t want their tax to go up. The politicians don’t pay more taxes, they get to decide who pay more. Simple. It’s not their money, it’s other people’s money that they want to dole out. Easier said then done for the politicians.
No one cares about what you *WANT* to do.

Loathing about having to pay more in taxes to help fund intiatives for the greater good of our society when you already have more than plenty of money comes across as pretty whiny, no matter how you look at it.

Old 10-12-2020, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Intellect has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Donald Trump is pretty dumb, but he still had the intrinsic advantage of being born to a father who was a multi-millionaire that was able to give him millions of dollars.
Go back and read your post. You were lamented about how they were born with advantages, I told you none. Do you work for Biden? Trump is smarter than Biden then. Biden graduated last in law class and septillion lying about it. You’re suffering from TDS.

Old 10-12-2020, 10:51 AM

Quote:
No one cares about what you *WANT* to do.

Loathing about having to pay more in taxes to help fund intiatives for the greater good of our society when you already have more than plenty of money comes across as pretty whiny, no matter how you look at it.
No nobody cares what you want to do either. My guess is you pay zero in taxes.

Old 10-12-2020, 10:58 AM

Quote:
My guess is you pay zero in taxes.
Your guess would be wrong.

Old 10-12-2020, 10:59 AM

Quote:
You were lamented about how they were born with advantages...
Yes, I was.

And I also said intellect has nothing to do with the intrinsic advantages they had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics