Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2020, 02:45 PM

24,558 posts, read 10,869,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
No one cares about what you *WANT* to do.

Loathing about having to pay more in taxes to help fund intiatives for the greater good of our society when you already have more than plenty of money comes across as pretty whiny, no matter how you look at it.
Why do you not get a better job so you can pay more to fund initiatives for the greater good of society. What are you doing now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2020, 04:03 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,377,987 times
Quote:
It's very hard to fail when you're given millions of dollars by your rich daddy even though you're grossly incompetent.
Actually it is very easy to fail - it is much easier to name call though which is what many here are doing.

Even if you take the highest estimated inheritance, he is currently worth many times more that amount. He certainly took chances and lost money on some investments but more often than not made money. Many very wealthy take chances that the rest of us would not dare take, that is how they get very rich.

Old 10-17-2020, 04:10 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,377,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterTrees View Post
He is also 1 billion in debt and has filed bankruptcy 6 times related to his businesses. No exactly competent. He also benefited from his father's businesses connections. He is known as a mediocre business person by people in top tier of wealth, business and economics.
I think it is way past "fathers business connections, that was 27 years ago - they are his connections to maintain at this point.

Statements like "mediocre business person" are easy to make - show some proof. Also "people in top tier of wealth, business and economics" - How many of these do you know?

Give me a break - you are just trying to tear down someone you disagree with or you would provide proof.

Old 10-17-2020, 05:20 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,707,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuiteLiving View Post
His billions of net worth is net of debt, so that's a moot point. That's why it's called "net" He has never filed bankruptcy, companies that he owned have, but he has not.

I'm not saying he's as good as Jeff Bezos or Steve Jobs, but he has at least had some success.
Gotta love it, measuring Trump up against two other guys also born on 3rd base...

Old 10-17-2020, 05:33 PM

2,747 posts, read 1,782,581 times
Quote:
Gotta love it, measuring Trump up against two other guys also born on 3rd base...
psssst, your envy is showing

Old 10-18-2020, 06:01 AM

3,022 posts, read 2,274,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
Ok, and so what do you propose? If people are below average, why do they deserve an outcome that’s not below average?
If they are below average they can not help that they are making a low wage then and then yes they do need help. Are you really okay with letting people have to take government benefits because they do not make enough or even become homeless? We could could greatly reduce poverty if we really wanted to but there are many selfish people who only care that they got what they have and could care less if someone else is struggling.

Old 10-18-2020, 08:23 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
If they are below average they can not help that they are making a low wage then and then yes they do need help.
Not necessarily.

Half the population is below average, being a member of that 165 million member club doesn't automatically mean one is making low wages. To take that further making low wages doesn't automatically mean someone needs help either.

Old 10-18-2020, 08:29 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,480,995 times
These days,unemployed can look forward to work in AMZN warehouse or make burritos at Chipotle restaurants or be an entreprenuer and sign up with LYFT,UBER,UBER EAT,DOORDASH and sell on Ebay , AMZN , ETSY,FB.

Old 10-18-2020, 08:34 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times
Quote:
Bezos was born on 3rd base?

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/27/how-...st-person.html

"Jeff Bezos was born on January 12, 1964, as Jeffrey Preston Jorgensen. His biological dad, Ted Jorgensen, met and started dating his mother, Jacklyn Gise, when they were both in high school. Jorgensen was 18 and Gise was 16 when she became pregnant. They flew to Mexico with their parents’ money to get married. Jorgensen belonged to a unicycle troupe and worked at a retail store making $1.25 an hour, so he didn’t have much money. He was also “had a habit of drinking too much,” according to “The Everything Store: Jeff Bezos and the Age of Amazon,” by journalist and biographer Brad Stone. When Jeff Bezos was 17 months old, his mom divorced Jorgensen. In 1968, Gise remarried Miguel Bezos, who arrived in Miami in 1962 from Cuba knowing only one word of English: “hamburger.” Jorgensen agreed to let Bezos adopt his son and, at 4 years old, Jeffrey Preston Jorgensen became Jeffrey Preston Bezos."

Dude grew up middle class, went to public schools, and worked at McDonald's as a teenager. What's your definition of second base, being born in a rice field in Cambodia?

Old 10-18-2020, 11:04 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,431,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
If they are below average they can not help that they are making a low wage then and then yes they do need help. Are you really okay with letting people have to take government benefits because they do not make enough or even become homeless? We could could greatly reduce poverty if we really wanted to but there are many selfish people who only care that they got what they have and could care less if someone else is struggling.
You have no idea how charitable I am or how much tax I pay.

Maybe I think working for 4 months out of the year for it to be simply taken from me and my family and given to the whims of what others consider to be the greater good is wrong. Maybe I want to dictate what cause it goes to.

Maybe I don’t care about other people’s college education when I still haven’t paid for mine. I have my own medical bills. Why do I want to worry about paying someone else’s when I already literally pay tens of thousands of taxes, and pay for medical insurance, and then pay the thousands left over still.

If someone is below average, they’re just that. This may be hard for you to comprehend but it’s impossible not to have poor people. It’s impossible not to have people below average. There isn’t some utopia where you can make everyone have good outcomes without good inputs.

And I know what it’s like to be poor. I’ve been poor. I’ve seen some of the poorest cities in this country. I’ve seen it from both sides. Some people cannot be helped. Period. And still others, quite frankly shouldn’t be helped.

Last edited by Thatsright19; 10-18-2020 at 11:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics