Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 10:24 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,286,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaktonite View Post
That lurkers and passers-by are able to see the ease with which such churls and phonies are made to look foolish by the facts will typically suffice as far as I'm concerned.
I have to admit that I laughed at this one. Are you sort of like Crusader Rabbit? Or would it be more along the lines of the TV version of Batman's Robin, battling against churls and phonies? "Curses Batman, foiled again by churls and phonies!!!"

In any case, I enjoy your posts.

Last edited by Hamish Forbes; 08-11-2013 at 10:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 10:41 AM

1,924 posts, read 2,373,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
I have to admit that I laughed at this one. Are you sort of like Crusader Rabbit? Or would it be more along the lines of the TV version of Batman's Robin, battling against churls and phonies? "Curses Batman, foiled again by churls and phonies!!!"
Those of a certain capacity understand truth to have a value of its own. Perhaps you simply aren't at that level. That would explain a lot.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:45 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,286,774 times
OK, to lighten-up your day a little bit in return, I propose the following challenge: Find a mirror. Look yourself straight in the eye, and try to say the following out loud five times, without smiling " I AM NOT Crusader Rabbit." Betch can't do it.

With that, I am going to say goodbye to you, for a while. Best wishes . . .

Last edited by Hamish Forbes; 08-11-2013 at 11:00 AM..

Old 08-11-2013, 11:00 AM

And you actually take yourself seriously. Glad to hear it if the butt is feeling a little bit better, though. Weeks of 24/7 agony can't be all that much fun.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:02 AM

125 posts, read 167,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaktonite View Post
Those of a certain capacity understand truth to have a value of its own. Perhaps you simply aren't at that level. That would explain a lot.
oaktonite, our sophistication is without parallel. It is nice to see this forum provides me with almost an equal in you. It is difficult attempting to educate the plebs in the world of finance, but we must do it. It is our elite pedigree which naturally compels us to engage in such matters. Marx would be honored that such sophistication has sprouted from his own seeds of wisdom. I type this while I am savoring an elegant glass of Henri Jayer Richebourg Grand Chu in one hand, and reexamining the intricacy of the Communist Manifesto in the other hand. A toast is in order to you my new friend.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:30 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Are you saying that everyone is exactly the same with the same motives, same motivation, same drive, all bound by luck and random success?

Why not? There is a clear presumption in this forum that everyone is exactly the same, with the same intellect, the same economic acumen, the same management skills to start your own business, the same greed, the same bootstraps, the same bad luck that needs to be overcome with the same amount of effort, and are distinguished only by their "responsibility" for their own care and feeding.

That the only difference between me and Bill Gates or Sam Walton is that nobody gave me a kick in the pants, and for that reason I deserve to wallow in my poverty and misery..

Last edited by jtur88; 08-11-2013 at 11:41 AM..

Old 08-11-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedartoday View Post
oaktonite, our sophistication is without parallel. It is nice to see this forum provides me with almost an equal in you. It is difficult attempting to educate the plebs in the world of finance, but we must do it. It is our elite pedigree which naturally compels us to engage in such matters. Marx would be honored that such sophistication has sprouted from his own seeds of wisdom. I type this while I am savoring an elegant glass of Henri Jayer Richebourg Grand Chu in one hand, and reexamining the intricacy of the Communist Manifesto in the other hand. A toast is in order to you my new friend.
Marx has nothing to do with it, and I'm betting the Richebourg is a '77. Bletch!!!

Old 08-11-2013, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
That the only difference between me and Bill Gates or Sam Walton is that nobody gave me a kick in the pants, and for that reason I deserve to wallow in my poverty and misery..
Yup, that's how it works. Just think how things might be if only some kindly bootstrapper had happened along and told you not to be lazy or make poor decisions. How different life might have been!

Old 08-11-2013, 12:40 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,372,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedartoday View Post
It is with great awe that plebs such as myself are even able to bask in the great forum glory of posters of the pedigree of you and Oakie. I long for the nectar of a St. Emilion Bordeaux Grand Cru springing forth from its Waterford confines onto my palette, while in the other hand perusing an Ostrich-bound 1st edition of Adam Smith's Wealth of Nations, while the soft silks of Hermes caresse my neck... But, alas, my station dictates I can only gulp 2 Buck Charles Shaw out of a sticky red plastic cup with a People magazine cradled in my forearm and a polyester track jacket scratching my shoulders.

I am ashamedly trying to be upwardly mobile and bootstrapping... If only I were some hardscrabble romantic figure who accepted my station - a tattoed Jean Valjean who can keep within a bread budget. Then you would be proud of me. Instead, I am a dreamer... forever longing to attain the heights of achievement afforded to the few such as yourself and Oakie.... I bow to your splendor, though I am too dim-witted to accept it is never achievable by mere mortals as myself. I can only hope for the crumbs at your feet.... I long to someday, someday, be able to manage a restaurant and submit the paperwork for a 501c charity... but deep in my psyche, I know that is not within my grasp...

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 08-11-2013 at 12:59 PM..

Old 08-11-2013, 12:42 PM

21 posts, read 38,227 times
You people are too funny. I applaud your imaginations and ability to use a thesaurus. However, it's a shame that you've hijacked this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics