Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 01:03 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I have tons of earned income......it is very hard work that earns that money.

I just write it all off and "0" out on the bottom of my 1040.

Am I correct, then, to presume that your hands are extended out to collect money from tenants?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I make an income every year that "maxes out" my social security tax. I pay this willingly every year because its the law and I fully intend to collect all my social security benefits when I retire sometime between age 65 and age 70.

I've done my share and than some. I done whine about it. I don't b*tch about it, like some here. I understand that without social security millions of elderly people who failed to plan for their retirement would be living on the streets in utter destitution.

Its the people here who can't figure that out or worse, those who don't care who have something to be ashamed of. Do you know anyone like that??

??? When people work a lifetime for low wages, and have inadequate savings in old age, did they fail to plan for retirement? How much should they have saved in order to qualify as having adequately planned for retirement?

Old 01-05-2014, 01:09 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,017,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I make an income every year that "maxes out" my social security tax. I pay this willingly every year because its the law and I fully intend to collect all my social security benefits when I retire sometime between age 65 and age 70.

I've done my share and than some. I done whine about it. I don't b*tch about it, like some here. I understand that without social security millions of elderly people who failed to plan for their retirement would be living on the streets in utter destitution.

Its the people here who can't figure that out or worse, those who don't care who have something to be ashamed of. Do you know anyone like that??
Good for you, go ahead and pay for someone else's retirement. Obviously no one has a problem with what you do with your own money.

However... what gives YOU the right to take MY money or force me to participate in SS. Basically nothing and this is the whole reason people should be able to opt out of SS!

Second point is SS makes retirement for millions worse not better. SS lowers the retirement income for millions because if you bothered to do the math you will see that saving 12.4% of income will generate more retirement income than SS.

Again the return on SS is so poor because the system gives disproportionately to the poor and people who choose not to work or work part time. If someone doesn't work or save for their own retirement then they shouldn't have the taxpayers bail their lazy butt out they should work more or save more. Have people take some personal responsibility.

If you want to pay for the freeloaders go right ahead just don't make me use my money to do it.

Old 01-05-2014, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
Good for you, go ahead and pay for someone else's retirement. Obviously no one has a problem with what you do with your own money.

However... what gives YOU the right to take MY money or force me to participate in SS. Basically nothing and this is the whole reason people should be able to opt out of SS!

Second point is SS makes retirement for millions worse not better. SS lowers the retirement income for millions because if you bothered to do the math you will see that saving 12.4% of income will generate more retirement income than SS.

Again the return on SS is so poor because the system gives disproportionately to the poor and people who choose not to work or work part time. If someone doesn't work or save for their own retirement then they shouldn't have the taxpayers bail their lazy butt out they should work more or save more. Have people take some personal responsibility.

If you want to pay for the freeloaders go right ahead just don't make me use my money to do it.

I think the return on SS is so poor because SS taxes are raised too pay not only current benefits, but to pay general fund expenditures. Instead of the higher return on money invested privately, the return on SS recipients get is effectively the (lower) long-term Treasury rate.

Old 01-05-2014, 02:16 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Am I correct, then, to presume that your hands are extended out to collect money from tenants?
Noooooo.......I drill water wells.

Old 01-05-2014, 02:17 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post

I 100% agree!

Anyone can opt out.

Old 01-05-2014, 04:16 PM

651 posts, read 863,044 times
Quote:
I 100% agree!

Anyone can opt out.
How can one opt out of SS?

Old 01-05-2014, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Noooooo.......I drill water wells.

This sounds like it could be a pretty good field to get into if you can make money while writing off enough expenses to zero out your taxes. I think a home well is a great thing to have, so hopefully you have a lot of business.

Old 01-05-2014, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icicles View Post

There are some mostly obscure qualifications for opting out of SS. For example, there are some very narrow religious exemptions, e.g. I think the Amish are exempt.

Old 01-05-2014, 05:37 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,017,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icicles View Post
Change the law and allow people to opt out. This is what George Bush tried to do. They called it privatizing SS but they just allow you to keep your own tax dollars.

Social Security is going to change because by ~2033 the payroll taxes will only cover about 70% of benefits.

So we will need a 30% reduction in benefits or a 30% increase in payroll taxes. The democrats will want to fix this on the backs of the middle class to bail out the poor.

Screw them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics