Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2014, 09:56 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,899,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
I don't think that economic collapse properly describes the situation. It's more of an economic restructuring and narrowing of the middle-income earners. There are many factors creating this situation. The current wisdom that if everyone was better educated in identified skill areas such as math, science, technology and engineering we'd all be okay. This is unrealistic. There is always going to be a leveling of jobs and those at the lower levels will always be more vunerable to economic disruptions and in some cases they weill not be needed due to automation.
Certainly not, since Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics were hard hit following the collapse. Whether it was a collapse, depression, "great recession," or restructuring doesnt change the fact that when you have no job prospects you are out of luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 10:20 AM

3,773 posts, read 5,323,392 times
I've learned that Democrats only want to win elections; they don't want to lead. This has been proven very well by the lame-duck Obama administration and the Do-Nothing Dems in the Senate.

Old 01-01-2014, 11:10 AM

20,708 posts, read 19,353,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
So that is what you learned and didn't know before? That money is backed by product in reality. Same as gold represents product. Product is a real asset as always. Basically the FED isn't printing more money that is of less value its taking on more debt and holding it which lowers interest rates. Tus the lower inflation rate;meaning money buys more than it would otherwise. That keeps market flowing as before money wasn't flowing and product was dropping. With that jobs were no long needed since product weren't selling. Same thing happened in 70's recession but inflation was in double digits.Same people griping now griping then about double digit inflation and unemployment. I guess you would have preferred doing nothing and continuing down the road to devaluation from little flow causing less demand thus product. the FED is replacing those who wouldn't lend or only at inflated rates because of risk they see. You got it much more right when you said government and people can not save at same time with out consequences. But tis the FED not government that has taken on 3 trillion dollars of debt on balance sheets.Which they will hold. for time. Government was in no position has they already borrowed and still do in debt ceiling just to maintain. That is he catch 22 because fiscal government reform will have to be done; less spending as taxes can only be raised so much before it collapses revenues thru taxing by hurting production which creates wealth that government depends on for revenues.
Huh?

Old 01-01-2014, 11:11 AM

20,708 posts, read 19,353,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
Human nature of how people respond. Generally with denial.
That's why I mentioned Egypt.

Old 01-01-2014, 11:32 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
I have become more risk adverse and have made being fiscally conservative one of my highest priorities. I have succeeded because I invest and save 25-30% of my income and I don't even make a lot of money.

Old 01-01-2014, 03:35 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,797,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Certainly not, since Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics were hard hit following the collapse. Whether it was a collapse, depression, "great recession," or restructuring doesnt change the fact that when you have no job prospects you are out of luck.
The current debate going on as to whether or not the long-term unemployed should have their benefits extended is related to this problem. Some argue they're lazy and lack reasons to look for a job. Others argue that there are few jobs available. Pope Francis recently discussed the dignity of work. A program that ties receiving unemployment compensation and other social payment programs to a job to do things currently being overlooked by many municipalities such as removing graffiti and litter, environmental improvement and park projects, transportation services for the elderly, childcare, etc., could be the bridge solution and provide dignity for those receiving assistance. People receiving unemployment compensation could spend 20 hrs per week in a work program and have the balance of the time to seek a full-time job. Daycare and training programs could be provided to those who lack sufficient skills or to look after those who are unable to work.

Old 01-01-2014, 03:42 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,041,688 times
I have learned that there are a lot of bitter morons out there that would be a lot happier if the recovery never happened at all

Old 01-01-2014, 04:29 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,651,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
The current debate going on as to whether or not the long-term unemployed should have their benefits extended is related to this problem. Some argue they're lazy and lack reasons to look for a job. Others argue that there are few jobs available. Pope Francis recently discussed the dignity of work. A program that ties receiving unemployment compensation and other social payment programs to a job to do things currently being overlooked by many municipalities such as removing graffiti and litter, environmental improvement and park projects, transportation services for the elderly, childcare, etc., could be the bridge solution and provide dignity for those receiving assistance. People receiving unemployment compensation could spend 20 hrs per week in a work program and have the balance of the time to seek a full-time job. Daycare and training programs could be provided to those who lack sufficient skills or to look after those who are unable to work.
My brothers inlaw was laid off work after Christmas a couple of years back... it was a small firm of 25 including the owner and family.

He had lots of job offers for less money... the lay off happend a few months after he got married.

Anyway... he stayed on umemployment for over two years with extensions... during that time, his daughter was born and he was with her the first 18 months of her life...

The only reason he got busy and took a job is because his unemployement ran out...

Nice guy, nice family and capable.

Just goes to show unemployment paid this man enough to allow him to be a full time father and he said it was a blessing.

Old 01-01-2014, 06:16 PM

373 posts, read 589,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
What "current economic collapse"?

A serious recession does NOT equal an economic collapse.

Ever hear the expression "pig with lipstick?" The term applies. Don't let the lack of soup lines fool ya. That's what foodstamps are, for all intents and purposes. And...what is it? ..88 weeks of unemployment checks? Yikes.

Old 01-01-2014, 07:26 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,687,258 times
That we will get used to this economic recession. Poverty will increase. This is not a thing which will last few years and go away. Learn how to save money. People should first control their spendings and then think about investments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics