Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 09:31 PM

29,835 posts, read 24,927,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I have one relative that saw unemployment as 99 weeks of paid vacation and he made the most of it but the 99 weeks ended and he just got up and got a job -- no problem. Another relative and her husband did have problems, they lost their home and couldn't find work so they just packed up their old car and headed to North Dakota and found jobs immediately there. They got homesick and moved back to their home state figuring things were better but they're almost 60 years old and couldn't find work, so they're back in North Dakota and working again. The cool thing about them is that they didn't seem at all bothered but faced it as an adventure, the wife says there are thousands of jobs there.
About 3 years ago, I was seriously thinking of packing the car, and just heading anywhere. I had the money, and the sense of adventure, but for better or worse, I found something more in the way of an ordinary job. I'll tell you one thing though... I feel very blessed to have always found "something" in terms of work. It wasn't always luxurious or even high paying, but it put food in the refrigerator and provided for a place to live. In exchange, I've always been the employee that the boss hated to see leave.

There's a lot of young folks who are complaining about the lack of opportunities though. If I were in their shoes, I wouldn't think twice about packing my crap and just heading anywhere. Sleep at the rest stop and just keep driving until you find something. ND would be as good as anywhere. If I had the chance to do it over again, I would have done it in a heart beat. Road trip across America! Think of how many people take time off work just to have that experience
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 10:27 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,698,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Here, too, the effects of the recession were modest, and there's been general improvement over the last year or so. Essentially, the worst effects of the recession were felt in the states, and specifically those parts of states, that were affected by the housing bubble: Florida, California, Las Vegas, Phoenix, coastal resort areas like Myrtle Beach, SC, etc. Other areas that were hit hard relied heavily on the auto industry (Michigan and other Great Lakes cities/states) or on finance/banking (NYC).
Mixed bag in the SF Bay Area... one city or area could be down 80% and the next one 5 minutes away maybe 5%.

Old 01-04-2014, 06:38 PM

651 posts, read 863,528 times
People have very short memories. Stocks crashed like a bizzzzitch in 2008, as they were overvalued. They are overvalued again, yet everyone is on stocks nuts.

Lesson #2 is coming soon to a portfolio near you.

Old 01-04-2014, 06:42 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
that the government will lie lie lie and calling them out on it can get you in big trouble.
its not a recession and recovery its a contraction and its permanent.
those jobs are gone.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:10 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,755,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
that the government will lie lie lie and calling them out on it can get you in big trouble.
its not a recession and recovery its a contraction and its permanent.
those jobs are gone.
It takes a year for the government to admit we are in a recession but show even a little news that is not negative and government calls it a recovery when there is a looong way to go.

Last edited by petch751; 01-04-2014 at 09:42 PM..

Old 01-05-2014, 01:14 AM

483 posts, read 1,560,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
It takes a year for the government to admit we are in a recession but show even a little news that is not negative and government calls it a recovery when there is a looong way to go.
The economy is either receding or it's expanding. It has been expanding since 2009. The economy doesn't recover totally overnight. It's a process. That process is called a recovery, and it takes years. Just because we're not back to the heydays of 2005, some people think we're not in a recovery.

I don't know why people can't wrap their brains around this idea. It is 100% correct to say we're in a recovery

Old 01-05-2014, 02:43 AM

109 posts, read 143,924 times
This is so funny.

Current economic collapse.

Some people believe we are heading towards an economic boom. Those people are dreamers and protectors of the current regime filled with mistakes that kills growth of any business.

Add in the horrific Obamacare laws and many businesses that are on the brink will also collapse soon.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:28 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,206,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icicles View Post
People have very short memories. Stocks crashed like a bizzzzitch in 2008, as they were overvalued. They are overvalued again, yet everyone is on stocks nuts.

Lesson #2 is coming soon to a portfolio near you.
Stocks crashed in 2008-2009 because the economy almost crashed and burned.

You sit on your azz with your pennies in a savings account that doesn't even pay 1% interest. I'll take my chances with the stock market's ups and downs and we'll see who's done better in 5 years.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:34 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,206,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh u View Post
The economy is either receding or it's expanding. It has been expanding since 2009. The economy doesn't recover totally overnight. It's a process. That process is called a recovery, and it takes years. Just because we're not back to the heydays of 2005, some people think we're not in a recovery.

I don't know why people can't wrap their brains around this idea. It is 100% correct to say we're in a recovery
The people who can't wrap their brains around this idea are ignorant of economics. I mean real economics, not the BS spread by ideologues with political agendas. Whatever their political idols claim is true, they believe, so they claim the government is lying, that unemployment isn't falling, that housing prices aren't rising, that inflation is imminent, that the economy is going to crash tomorrow, etc. because that's what some talking head or slick pol that they like has said/written.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:11 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,755,378 times
If I would have believed government during the housing boom I would have believed all was well. Many did believe the government and got wiped out. Yea, I think I will remain cautious. I'm not sure what your issue is. If you want to trust government that is your choice. Me, I don't trust government.

Last edited by petch751; 01-05-2014 at 10:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics