Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2014, 11:15 AM

2 posts, read 2,384 times

Advertisements

I own a 1 family home, my tenant has no lease and I allowed her to stay in the basement for a short time until she gets back on her feet. We agreed on a few months, now here we are a year and a half later, she refuses to leave. She was paying me 1100 to stay there, she has been giving me some money here and there but no where near what I asked her to pay, how can I get her out, what is the best course of action... Thank you guys in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 11:25 AM

1,488 posts, read 1,966,368 times
Short answer is for you to file a court proceeding to start a notice for eviction. I see that your in NY so there aren't any special laws there that I'm aware of that will complicate the process.

Also I'm assuming your letting her stay in the basement of your primary residence? This will make it even simpler to evict her. After she receives the notice, there will be a hearing date. There is almost no chance based on what you said that the judge will rule that she can stay at your place. Then she will be ordered to leave by a certain date. If she doesn't; then the police will physically remove her from the premises on the deadline.

Old 03-14-2014, 11:45 AM

2 posts, read 2,384 times
Thank you very much griffon652..

Old 03-14-2014, 12:07 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,472,904 times
Be aware, you have to pay for the police to remove her and her belongings. In my state I believe it is $1100. Other states vary. Also, some states have a waiting list. I've heard of waits up to 3 weeks.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:12 PM

1,488 posts, read 1,966,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
Be aware, you have to pay for the police to remove her and her belongings. In my state I believe it is $1100. Other states vary. Also, some states have a waiting list. I've heard of waits up to 3 weeks.
I'm not sure about NY but in FL that's not the case. You have the option of paying the Sheriff of the County to give the official notice of eviction. But its not mandatory. Also once the deadline for eviction has passed, your legally allowed to throw away anything the tenant has left in the premises yourself without paying the police. As far as the physical removal of the tenant that's free of charge here also.

Best advice to figure that out would be to contact your local Sheriff's Office/Police Department to find out if there are costs associated with that process in NY.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:39 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,071,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elculito View Post
I own a 1 family home, my tenant has no lease and I allowed her to stay in the basement for a short time until she gets back on her feet. We agreed on a few months, now here we are a year and a half later, she refuses to leave. She was paying me 1100 to stay there, she has been giving me some money here and there but no where near what I asked her to pay, how can I get her out, what is the best course of action... Thank you guys in advance
Month to month is presumed given past dealings and lack of written contract, give her a 30 day notice to vacate, if she isn't out, commence eviction proceedings in court (in CA that will take about 3 months.

Old 03-15-2014, 06:14 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,442,779 times
Nice thing about Texas is we can give a 5 day notice and change the locks.

Old 03-15-2014, 01:31 PM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
First you give her a written 30 day notice to vacate. Then, when she doesn't leave, you evict for overstay

Note: in some states, if the tenant has been there for over a year, you must give a 60 day no-cause notice to vacate. You can start the eviction immediately if the tenant does not pay the rent.

In your case, I would give her a written notice that stated that according to your original roommate agreement, she is paying rent at $1100 a month and 30 (or 60, depending upon state law) days from the notice, rent is going up to $1500 a month. That gives you something to take to court to show that there is an agreement to pay rent at that rate when you evict for non-payment.

I would put in there that it is a roommate agreement unless you are sure it is legal to rent out a basement in your town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics