Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2014, 08:40 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,496,320 times

Advertisements

The title is ... Are young people getting lazier?

Yes they are lazier ... and their parents made them that way ! ! ! ...

Parents in the 40's and 50's who worked hard, payed their bills on time,
and raised their children the best they could had this to say: ...

Children ... we want you to get the best education you can so that
you won't have to work as hard as we did. ...

Now every child of that group said the same thing to their children, year after year. ...

Now about 75 years later in 2014 we have many children who won't work,
others who can not do a different job outside of the highly educated field of employment. ...

They don't want to wait to buy anything ( they have to have it now )
so the go in debt with charge cards, and college loans, and mortgages,
they can not and don't know how to pay back. ...

These children now have to rely on the Government, or Dad and Mom,
Granddads and Grandmas ( who feel sorry for them ) to feed and take care of them
while they go broke spending their retirement money on what else. ...

Now the children don't have to work as hard, and the parents complain
about the results they started in the first place ! ! ! ...

Teach your children how to work and be responsible for their own lives,
if you know how, or don't complain when they turn out lazy ! ! !...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 08:41 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,032,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh u View Post
Answer is Yes.

American teens don't want to work

"The number of teens with summer jobs has fallen roughly 30 percentage points since the late ‘70s. In 1978, nearly three in four teenagers (71.8%) ages 16 to 19 held a summer job, but as of last year, only about four in 10 teens did"

"While the number of 16- to 19-year-olds not in the labor force who want a job has remained relatively flat since the mid-1990s, the number not wanting a job has steadily increased"

I have to seriously question the data gathering methods used regarding how many teens "want" a job. There are plenty of good reasons to not want a job other than "being lazy" including: lack of opportunities, focusing on school work, focusing on family responsibilities, parents not allowing it, etc.

The lack of teens working is caused by many factors, motivation and interest being the smallest component:

1) Lack of jobs: There are 2.6 to 5.1 people out of work per job opening. Many people are also grossly undermployed, often taking lousy-paying jobs that were once reserved for teenagers back when this nation's economy wasn't a disaster.

http://www.bls.gov/web/jolts/jlt_labstatgraphs.pdf

2) The effects of illegal aliens: Remember that law mowing job you had as a kid? Yeah, that's now being done by illegals. Or the summer spent picking fruit at that farm up the road? Illegals... I think you get the idea.

3) The effects of outsourcing: Remember the old mill you worked at during summers years ago? It closed and went to China. Many of those entry level, lower-skill jobs are gone, and what jobs remain in that area are far too few to support everyone stuck competing for them.

4) The effects of higher education: Many students and teens these days need to put more time into their school work and extra curricular activities in the hopes of getting into college so they have some chance for a future. That was not true years ago, where one could afford to take the time away from school to get a job.

5) The effects of a litigious society: Nowadays, people can sue for anything, so one is extremely hesitant to hire a bunch of inexperienced teens to perform tasks since if something happens, even if it is relatively minor, their parents may sue you. This ties nicely into using illegal aliens instead, since they have no legal standing and can thus be exploited without fear of lawsuits.

Opportunities are vanishing in this nation, and it should come as no surprise that teens - being both the least experienced workers and the ones least likely to need a job to survive - will be among the first to exit from the minimizing workforce.

Old 05-04-2014, 08:45 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
To you it seems irresponsible however you can buy a brand new house 10 min from me in the low 100s is that irresponsible too?

Young people are lazy, 60k is decent money and you don't really know what payoff really is but rather over inflated expectations
60K puts you in the 25% tax bracket (around 15K) and $4,600 from employee contribution of the social security tax. Throw in payroll taxes and local unemployment, the REAL take-home pay is somewhere around 35K. Throw in rent, student loan payback and that and that 35K goes pretty fast. So much for being lazy when government takes roughly half BEFORE loans.

Old 05-04-2014, 08:47 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,579,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Baby boomers are all greedy. See, I can throw out useless stereotypes too. I find it funny that you're criticizing a young person for being responsible by not purchasing a home until they feel they're ready. That should be applauded, not criticized.

There is no way I could purchase a brand new home in my area for the low 100s. Not all of us live in low COL areas and we didn't choose to live here. Sure we can move and young people are very mobile these days...partly why they may be hesitant to purchase a home (in addition to cost, debt, and other factors).

I have no unrealistic expectations. If anything young people are much more realistic about the current realities of the economy. The job market is not what is was "back in the day". I've worked through most of high school, all of college, and up until I found a job in my field of study. Now I'm looking to eventually rent a studio or 1 bed/1 bath apartment. Nothing fancy. My vehicle is seventeen years old. Of course I would love to purchase a new vehicle, but that would be irresponsible right now.

Boomers are lazy why?

I didn't criticize anyone for not buying I simply pointed out it's not out of the realm of possibility since other posters act like 60k isn't enough money. If COL is too high then move or don't complain about your COL. Median housing prices in the US are still sub 300k

I interview people fairly often and have some younger folks employed for me as well as draw additional opinions from those around me and IMO expectations are unrealistic for income, career development, advancement And what you should have

Old 05-04-2014, 08:48 AM

24,476 posts, read 17,220,223 times
I don't know that many young people but the ones I do I say yes they are getting lazier.
Kids lives are so busy and structured today. Unless they are playing organised sports it seems rare for them to get off their butts to go toss a ball around with a friend or just with themselves.
I think kids are either worn out from school and organised activities or they just lack imagination and would rather play on their phones or computer games.
Kids do lack imagination and in many cases ambition. Think about what kids have for role models today and the future si not looking good.

Old 05-04-2014, 08:51 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,579,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
60K puts you in the 25% tax bracket (around 15K) and $4,600 from employee contribution of the social security tax. Throw in payroll taxes and local unemployment, the REAL take-home pay is somewhere around 35K. Throw in rent, student loan payback and that and that 35K goes pretty fast. So much for being lazy when government takes roughly half BEFORE loans.

If you think someone making 60k is paying 15k in fed taxes you don't understand the income tax system

Old 05-04-2014, 08:57 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
The whole purpose of industrialization and technology, from the wheel to 4G, was to create an environment in which people did not need to work so hard. It was, and still is, laziness that is the mother of invention. The wheel was not invented by the most energetic worker on the job site, but by the laziest.

My parents and grandparents worked very hard, just so I would not have to. It would be a slap in their face to refuse that gift and keep right on working hard in spite of them.

The right to be a "gentleman farmer" used to be restricted to the aristocracy, but your hard-fought democracy makes it possible now for anyone to become lazy. The benefit of the machine is to produce constant output with less work, not to produce more output with constant work.

So, now to the OP's point:
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh u View Post

"The number of teens with summer jobs has fallen roughly 30 percentage points since the late ‘70s. In 1978, nearly three in four teenagers (71.8%) ages 16 to 19 held a summer job, but as of last year, only about four in 10 teens did"
OK, so, now, who is doing all that work that used to be done by teens? Is it simply not being done? Cars not being washed, lawns not being mowed? When your car needs to be washed, your grass cut, who does it? If a teen offered, would you hire him? If you owned your own business, how many teens would you hire for the summer, and pay their health insurance and file all the necessary papers, and meet all the regulatory workplace standards, and process all the payroll deductions?

Last edited by jtur88; 05-04-2014 at 09:16 AM..

Old 05-04-2014, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post

The lack of teens working is caused by many factors, motivation and interest being the smallest component:

1) Lack of jobs: There are 2.6 to 5.1 people out of work per job opening. Many people are also grossly undermployed, often taking lousy-paying jobs that were once reserved for teenagers back when this nation's economy wasn't a disaster.
And those people get the low paying jobs because the teenagers
move to slow to as for the work and now the unemployed who wants to work can eat ... etc.

Quote:
2) The effects of illegal aliens: Remember that law mowing job you had as a kid? Yeah, that's now being done by illegals. Or the summer spent picking fruit at that farm up the road? Illegals... I think you get the idea.
The illegals are the only ones who will mow the lawns, and pick the fruit.
The kids and Parent and other legal citizens won't even consider getting their hands dirty
no matter how much it pays ! ! !

Quote:
3) The effects of outsourcing: Remember the old mill you worked at during summers years ago? It closed and went to China. Many of those entry level, lower-skill jobs are gone, and what jobs remain in that area are far too few to support everyone stuck competing for them.
They priced themselves out of business and the competitors
beat them out ... that is business.

Quote:
4) The effects of higher education: Many students and teens these days need to put more time into their school work and extra curricular activities in the hopes of getting into college so they have some chance for a future. That was not true years ago, where one could afford to take the time away from school to get a job.
No matter how much education you get the low paying jobs will be the same
for all, and the high cost of college won't help you get a high paying job either because
there are to many educated people to choose from, ( who will work for less )
so even their wage will be lowered heavily.

Quote:
5) The effects of a litigious society: Nowadays, people can sue for anything, so one is extremely hesitant to hire a bunch of inexperienced teens to perform tasks since if something happens, even if it is relatively minor, their parents may sue you. This ties nicely into using illegal aliens instead, since they have no legal standing and can thus be exploited without fear of lawsuits.
Again a bidding war of wisdom of choice, with less risk and cost.

Not Rock Science ! ! !

Old 05-04-2014, 09:13 AM

It's plain to see that the highly educated don't know
the real meaning of the word Lazy ! ! !

Old 05-04-2014, 09:30 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,831,215 times
I have a 17 year old, and she can't get a job..no one will hire her. We live in WA where there are strict child labor laws. Until she turns 18, the number of hours she can work is limited. With the glut of people out there looking for jobs, teens who can only work restricted hours are going to be at the bottom of that list.

I do think today's teens are more spoiled and entitled. But I also think this crappy economy has created a situation where minimum wage jobs are no longer just for teens and retirees....people are trying to live on these wages, so the job market is very competitive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics