Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2014, 01:22 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,379,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VendorDude View Post
Programs to assist in a child's development of a positive self-image are found in the early years of elementary school. They are necessary because so many children are not able to develop such an image based on the inputs and treatment they receive away from school. .
.... because so many parents have failed at helping to instill these values in their own children, public school social programs try to pick up the slack. But do these pricey social programs compensate for what is going on at home, where child spends the majority of time? Tax payer money is not always put to good use - e.g. Head Start programs with dissipating student performance returns (where I think by 3rd grade there was no performance difference). Or worse, when programs like NCLB are actually holding back resources for some of our nation's highest group of performers (e.g. gifted students) in order to raise up the bottom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 01:27 PM

698 posts, read 567,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
Why can't young people create their own jobs?
Lemonade stands are the way to go. You won't make any money of course, but at least the up front costs are low. That is not the case with many among the other suggestions put forward. Licensing and inspection fees, equipment and materials costs, advertising -- all money down the rathole if you can't create some cashflow pretty soon. And that's tough to do in a saturated market.

Old 05-06-2014, 01:32 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times
Quote:
Why can't young people create their own jobs? E.g. Do landscaping, mowing, house sitting, coaching, babysitting, caddying, dog walking, carwashing, tutoring, web development, filing, light bookkeeping, house/business cleaning, jewelry making/selling, chocolate making/selling.... These are specific jobs that High Schoolers in my town have found (created) just by leaving flyers around town - and they are in high demand for their services. But I guess these entry level jobs are not good enough for some.

So tired of people waiting for someone else (economy, govt., college) to save them. Make your own future. Plenty of opportunities for those with drive, ambition, creativity, and work ethic to create something for themselves.
Agreed. Although too many kids have been led into debt instead of pursuing their own path. When I was 16 I was making $13 an hour by becoming certified as a lifeguard. 10 years later I have my license as a real estate agent. My college experience was great, I'm not in too much debt and I learned a lot, but I often wonder if it would have been financially smarter to continue working while pursuing trades/licenses instead of the almighty college diploma after high school. I consider myself successful and worked during College but I know many people my age in way too much debt with little to show for it.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 05-06-2014 at 01:45 PM..

Old 05-06-2014, 01:36 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VendorDude View Post
Lemonade stands are the way to go. You won't make any money of course, but at least the up front costs are low. That is not the case with many among the other suggestions put forward. Licensing and inspection fees, equipment and materials costs, advertising -- all money down the rathole if you can't create some cashflow pretty soon. And that's tough to do in a saturated market.

Get out of here. Nothing listed was all that capital intensive. You could wash cars, bake, walk dogs, pick up dog crap, tutor, or mow grass with very little invested.

Old 05-06-2014, 01:47 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Why can't young people create their own jobs? E.g. Do landscaping, mowing, house sitting, coaching, babysitting, caddying, dog walking, carwashing, tutoring, web development, filing, light bookkeeping, house/business cleaning, jewelry making/selling, chocolate making/selling.... These are specific jobs that High Schoolers in my town have found (created) just by leaving flyers around town - and they are in high demand for their services. But I guess these entry level jobs are not good enough for some.
Why can't they create jobs? let's look at different things.
  1. Many things you need a localized demand that isn't met. For instance:
    • If people don't do sports, you can't coach or referee.
    • If people rather do stay-cations and instead of staying at Disney World for a week or the Poconos for the weekend, go to local ski resorts, museums or amusement parks for the day, you cannot house-sit.
    • If the neighborhood has at least one sibling at the age of 12 or higher, you wont need babysitters.
    • If your place has pets, you can only petsit if the owners go away.
    • If your weather doesn't allow for snow shoveling, guess what, you can't shovel snow.
  2. The jobs may be redundant to others. For instance:
    • If you see enough people wash cars or have five car washes in town, you may very well might not be successful in your small business of washing cars.
    • If you see people mow lawns and landscape, it wont work (my dad did all the yard work for the house until 4 years ago despite having a webbed hip and that was because he couldn't get rid of weeds with any methods he used.)
    • Shoveling snow can only happen if people don't want to do it and don't shovel themselves.
    • Repairing furniture will only be a need if people don't replace furniture or fix it themselves.
  3. The jobs require skills. For instance:
    • Coaching and reffing requires knowledge of the rules and the mechnics of the sport.
    • Computer troubleshooting for instance requires knowledge across platforms, manufacturers and operating systems. No two are built the same. A Mac and a Windows are NOT the same. Windows 8 vs. 7, Vista and XP is WAY different.
    • Lifeguarding requires physical fitness and the ability to swim with someone in your arm back to shore. Look at how many millennials are said they wouldn't be fit for military training, you likely need the same for being a lifeguard.
    • Tutoring requires you to be an expert in at least one subject as well as an interest. If you are not at least a high B student in that subject, it isn't going to work. Why would you want yourself or your kid going to a low B average tutor?
    • Repairs require handyman skills. Unless you were taught them by parents, high schoolers likely don't have them to actually do repairs because they don't teach shop for too long. Thank lower school budgets and the importance of college prep for those going the way of cursive writing being required after 5th grade.
  4. Upfront costs. Both jewelry and chocolate making (as well as repairs, eBay resales) requires one to buy the supplies and they need to be replenished either immediately after use or after several uses.
I know, I know, it may sound like garden variety "excuses" but if you don't have those situations, you CANNOT do it at all.

Also if you believe these are entry-level jobs, I think you are mistaken.

Quote:
So tired of people waiting for someone else (economy, govt., college) to save them. Make your own future. Plenty of opportunities for those with drive, ambition, creativity, and work ethic to create something for themselves.
I'm tired of people saying that one has all these options available to them especially if they say their local situation does not allow for it.

Old 05-06-2014, 01:49 PM

Just to clarify this thread, is about jobs for 16-year-olds, right?? The OP was not referring to jobs for recent college grads.

Old 05-06-2014, 02:02 PM

698 posts, read 567,946 times
Quote:
Not in all cases.... I think it is a cop out for a parent to think that. Peers and pop-culture should not be raising children.
Tell that to your kids. It's not like they ask permission not to pay attention to you anymore, you know.

Quote:
Parents can still be the #1 influence in their child's life through high school...
Not likely. Until they are old enough to do it themselves, you can and will drive them to wherever they need to go. Car-time is the new quality-time. Use it well.

Quote:
...but it does take a certain type of parenting and family lifestyle to enable that.
Should I assume that you and your family are in fact the embodiment of those very things? Where I grew up, there was a local group called the Women's League Against Juvenile Delinquency or something like that. They thought they were the big hens in the henhouse, but JD's would take particular delight in a late-night hot-wiring of their cars for a leisurely spin around town.

Quote:
I'll bet those kids whose parents are the #1 influence (as long as it's positive) through high school tend to be the most successful adults. Those overly influenced by negative peer values and pop-culture have a distinct disadvantage.
It's pretty much pervasive. I'd bet that most successful adults stopped paying serious attention to the parents by their teenage years. Oh, you'd get the perfunctory Eddie Haskell sort of stuff alright, but those years are times when kids are confronting the demands of hormones and social status. They aren't listening to the old folks anymore. They'll be back by their mid-20's or so if you're lucky, but it can be a rough ride along the way. Buckle up. Meanwhile, it's the minority of apron-string kids who have actual issues to overcome in adjusting to adulthood. It's tough to be responsible when you've never had any practice at it. Kind of reminds me of these Mom's who fanatically disinfect everything their kids are going to come in contact with. Know what happens when those kids grow up? They get sick all the time because they never had a chance to develop any antibodies. Sending a kid out to eat dirt is a better idea than all those sanitizers.

Old 05-06-2014, 02:02 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Just to clarify this thread, is about jobs for 16-year-olds, right?? The OP was not referring to jobs for recent college grads.
Seems that way based on the original post. Unless we are talking Doogie Housers and Mr. Kid (whatever the name of that Canadian show is about the teacher who is the same age as his students.)

Old 05-06-2014, 02:36 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,289,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Why can't they create jobs? let's look at different things.
  1. Many things you need a localized demand that isn't met. For instance:
    • If people don't do sports, you can't coach or referee.
    • If people rather do stay-cations and instead of staying at Disney World for a week or the Poconos for the weekend, go to local ski resorts, museums or amusement parks for the day, you cannot house-sit.
    • If the neighborhood has at least one sibling at the age of 12 or higher, you wont need babysitters.
    • If your place has pets, you can only petsit if the owners go away.
    • If your weather doesn't allow for snow shoveling, guess what, you can't shovel snow.
  2. The jobs may be redundant to others. For instance:
    • If you see enough people wash cars or have five car washes in town, you may very well might not be successful in your small business of washing cars.
    • If you see people mow lawns and landscape, it wont work (my dad did all the yard work for the house until 4 years ago despite having a webbed hip and that was because he couldn't get rid of weeds with any methods he used.)
    • Shoveling snow can only happen if people don't want to do it and don't shovel themselves.
    • Repairing furniture will only be a need if people don't replace furniture or fix it themselves.
  3. The jobs require skills. For instance:
    • Coaching and reffing requires knowledge of the rules and the mechnics of the sport.
    • Computer troubleshooting for instance requires knowledge across platforms, manufacturers and operating systems. No two are built the same. A Mac and a Windows are NOT the same. Windows 8 vs. 7, Vista and XP is WAY different.
    • Lifeguarding requires physical fitness and the ability to swim with someone in your arm back to shore. Look at how many millennials are said they wouldn't be fit for military training, you likely need the same for being a lifeguard.
    • Tutoring requires you to be an expert in at least one subject as well as an interest. If you are not at least a high B student in that subject, it isn't going to work. Why would you want yourself or your kid going to a low B average tutor?
    • Repairs require handyman skills. Unless you were taught them by parents, high schoolers likely don't have them to actually do repairs because they don't teach shop for too long. Thank lower school budgets and the importance of college prep for those going the way of cursive writing being required after 5th grade.
  4. Upfront costs. Both jewelry and chocolate making (as well as repairs, eBay resales) requires one to buy the supplies and they need to be replenished either immediately after use or after several uses.
I know, I know, it may sound like garden variety "excuses" but if you don't have those situations, you CANNOT do it at all.

Also if you believe these are entry-level jobs, I think you are mistaken.

I'm tired of people saying that one has all these options available to them especially if they say their local situation does not allow for it.
If excuses produced money, you would be rich.

Old 05-06-2014, 02:37 PM

Your quotes in blue...

Tell that to your kids. It's not like they ask permission not to pay attention to you anymore, you know.

We actually communicate very well. BTW, are you a parent? How was your relationship with your parents?

Not likely. Until they are old enough to do it themselves, you can and will drive them to wherever they need to go. Car-time is the new quality-time. Use it well.

Nope, Have plenty of quality time outside the car.

Should I assume that you and your family are in fact the embodiment of those very things? Where I grew up, there was a local group called the Women's League Against Juvenile Delinquency or something like that. They thought they were the big hens in the henhouse, but JD's would take particular delight in a late-night hot-wiring of their cars for a leisurely spin around town.

I have a great relationship with my kids, but feel no need to push my views on anyone else by joining a JD or whatever. Just don't assume my kids (who you don't know) inevitably only talk to me in the car.... lol. This is your experience, not everyone else's....

It's pretty much pervasive. I'd bet that most successful adults stopped paying serious attention to the parents by their teenage years. Oh, you'd get the perfunctory Eddie Haskell sort of stuff alright, but those years are times when kids are confronting the demands of hormones and social status. They aren't listening to the old folks anymore. They'll be back by their mid-20's or so if you're lucky, but it can be a rough ride along the way. Buckle up. Meanwhile, it's the minority of apron-string kids who have actual issues to overcome in adjusting to adulthood. It's tough to be responsible when you've never had any practice at it. Kind of reminds me of these Mom's who fanatically disinfect everything their kids are going to come in contact with. Know what happens when those kids grow up? They get sick all the time because they never had a chance to develop any antibodies. Sending a kid out to eat dirt is a better idea than all those sanitizers.

Pervasive in your circles, not mine..... Parents can have influence without hovering, guide without tying up, empower without smothering ... I am building leaders and independent thinkers, not blind followers (to peers, or to pop-culture, or even to authoritarian figures)... Not sure why you think there are only 2 extremes: 1) complete abandonment of parenting to peers and pop-culture
2) complete helicopter, apron string tied, dirt abhoring, family justice league joining, over controlling parental imprisonment.

Lots of gray area in between. Good parenting is a lot more nuanced than that.

An interesting read is "Creating Minds" which researched the parenting/educational styles that helped create/ facilitate some of the greatest thinkers/leaders of our time... You will see a pattern that many of these people had an unrelenting parental advocate in their court...

Creating Minds: An Anatomy of Creativity Seen Through the Lives of Freud, Einstein, Picasso, Stravinsky, Eliot, Graham, and Ghandi: Howard E. Gardner: 9780465027743: Amazon.com: Books
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics