Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2014, 09:08 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,379,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VendorDude View Post
Yes, all posters on the internet who may come across as being well-read. well-spoken, well-educated, and well-informed are really the same very busy person. And he works for Obama, being paid to visit one website after another and spread the liberal poison. I don't actually know you. I do know your type, however.

Been there, done that. You miscalculated there. Then grossly mischaracterized the work. Your bad twice.
Wrong again... There is a big difference between a muse and an advocate. Sorry if this is confusing for you. Parental advocacy is stronger positioning.

Also, attempts at irrational stereotyping is weak argument.

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 05-08-2014 at 09:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 09:17 AM

698 posts, read 568,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
You wouldn't be an "actual economist" by any chance, would you? Maybe one that does great charitable works, dines lavishly, lectures to those fortunate enough to be granted an audience, manages a multi-star restaurant, edits government reports, hires PhDs, pulls rabbits out of a hat with rental property, and a host of other stellar activities?
Sorry, can't deal with hallucinations just now. I'm busy digging into the historical record underlying the haunted house tenancy you so oddly seem to share with one Cedartoday.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:21 AM

698 posts, read 568,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
Wrong... "babysitting, pet-sitting, house-sitting, lawn mowing, and tutoring jobs" do not typically require licensing, certification and contracts, though it can be a good marketing tool.
Try again. Out-of-touch with reality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
Wrong again... There is a big difference between a muse and an advocate. Sorry if this is confusing for you. Parental advocacy is stronger positioning. Also, attempts at irrational stereotyping is weak argument.
I'll ask Father Mortenson to include a special "Prayer for the Crashed-and-Burned" in his services this Sunday.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Reminds me of the shoe-shine urchins in Mexico City. No different from panhandling. really. But back to the point -- how long did your lemonade stand remain open? As in for how many total hours was it ever possible for a passerby to purchase lemonade from you at your stand? What was your net return for those hours?
Doesn't matter... I was 12, had a business license, and sold enough lemonade after only one Cubs game to travel to California that summer. My goals were met. Now I am on to bigger things.

Again, it is not up to me to define some "lemonade sales strategy" for you... lol... I know how to make money for myself. Figure out your own path.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:24 AM

Quote:
I'll ask Father Mortenson to include a special "Prayer for the Crashed-and-Burned" in his services this Sunday.
Good, maybe his extra prayers for you will help.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:50 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,290,539 times
Quote:
Sorry, can't deal with hallucinations just now. I'm busy digging into the historical record underlying the haunted house tenancy you so oddly seem to share with one Cedartoday.
I miss Oaktonite/FairLaker. Too bad that he evidently left the forum, twice, with his tail between his legs some time ago. He seemed to be an especially cocky bantam rooster, but a humorous one, even though his humor was mostly unintentional.

But I am glad that you are not Oaktonite/Fairlaker. It would be terribly pitiful for an adult (purportedly) to return to the same anonymous internet forum with yet a third ID (at least), especially an adult who is so accomplished and so busy with other pursuits.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:52 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
You are retreating ever further into irrationality. The contention was that "teenagers" are lazy today because they don't take up such jobs at nearly the rates they did in the Norman Rockwell world of 50-60 years ago that some people still believe in. Many of these fields now require licensing, certfication, and the ability to sign a contract. Get with the program. Chores-for-change are meanwhile not a job.
I do think liability is an issue with these "jobs" and so is licensing. Another is as I mentioned that parents aren't the same from 50-60 years ago who would tell kids to get jobs or do oddjobs to get money and instead give them money. Of course that is generalities. The other is that kids cannot get the jobs they once could like being a paper boy or even fast food and retail just because of the corruption.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:04 AM

125 posts, read 167,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
You wouldn't be an "actual economist" by any chance, would you? Maybe one that does great charitable works, dines lavishly, lectures to those fortunate enough to be granted an audience, manages a multi-star restaurant, edits government reports, hires PhDs, pulls rabbits out of a hat with rental property, and a host of other stellar activities?
Times can even become tough for some elites out there. Typically this only occurs to elites who obtain an advanced degree in economics, but can't quite crack it in a PhD program. These former elites usually turn to vending machines to make a living after their downfall.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:13 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,477,650 times
Post #1, the OP's post... I just read that article, several time unbeknownst to me, as it was linked in several places through out C-D.

Short answer is "no". They just appear that way with all the smart phones and on-the-go internet

Old 05-08-2014, 10:15 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,290,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedartoday View Post
Times can even become tough for some elites out there. Typically this only occurs to elites who obtain an advanced degree in economics, but can't quite crack it in a PhD program. These former elites usually turn to vending machines to make a living after their downfall.
My driver tells me that he sees such people whenever he takes my cook to the grocery store in the Bentley . . . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics