Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2014, 08:34 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeo123 View Post
Ah yes. Back to the early 2000's right? When anyone and everyone could set up their own online business and sell products to the world and become rich.

Oh wait. That ended with a lot of people realizing that when your potential market expands like that, so does your competition. When you go online, you're competing with the world. Amazon and Walmart become your competition and MOST teenagers won't be able to compete with that.

Yes, a small percentage will be able to compete. But is the fact that MOST people cannot compete a sign of laziness? Not at all.

Well I'd take it as a sign of laziness when someone comes up with an excuse at every turn instead of making a legit attempt to do something. In fact multiple attempts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 10:02 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
Does your community have a post office and the Internet? Then your potential market is expanded.
The post office is in the next nearest true town and about 5 miles in rather than being where I live. The internet exists but I will get into it later (based on Jeo's post.) As I've said, your idea of suburbia based on where you live is not the way it is for everyone. The market and demographics are different based on the localized needs. You even said that with the market rates for what is charged in your area.

Quote:
Ah yes. Back to the early 2000's right? When anyone and everyone could set up their own online business and sell products to the world and become rich.

Oh wait. That ended with a lot of people realizing that when your potential market expands like that, so does your competition. When you go online, you're competing with the world. Amazon and Walmart become your competition and MOST teenagers won't be able to compete with that.

Yes, a small percentage will be able to compete. But is the fact that MOST people cannot compete a sign of laziness? Not at all.
Exactly. There are a LOT of sellers on Amazon and eBay from different places so if we start an online business selling say old wrestling DVDs, you fight other sellers, you fight the promotions (WWE does video on demand where one can watch any WWE, WCW or ECW pay per view) you fight Walmart (they sometimes sell two packs of older DVDs) and most importantly YouTube and Daily Motion who host those DVDs for FREE (until someone complains about the footage.) Plus I wouldn't be able to sell DVDs for that much, maybe $5.00 a pop and not really make a profit because of the cost of shipping.

As for craigslist (the other option) there are already a lot on there. In landscaping alone, there are 10 different ads at the very least in the west valley posted today. Pet services (including sitting) had three from today but tons from yesterday. Household is similar with tons of different ad in the west valley as well. The issue is many of these jobs are already over-saturated. You just need to find it. GoCUBS1, I would suggest your friends who cannot find those services to try craigslist, there should be tons of options in Chicagoland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Well I'd take it as a sign of laziness when someone comes up with an excuse at every turn instead of making a legit attempt to do something. In fact multiple attempts
The issue is when told "start a business" you don't tell people to look at the cost-benefit of doing such a benefit. I am a business management graduate, from day one the idea of SWAT analysis was given importance to me. The problem is if the market is over-saturated (which many "suburban jobs" are at least by me) which would be a threat to any business idea.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
The issue is when told "start a business" you don't tell people to look at the cost-benefit of doing such a benefit. I am a business management graduate, from day one the idea of SWAT analysis was given importance to me. The problem is if the market is over-saturated (which many "suburban jobs" are at least by me) which would be a threat to any business idea.
You are overthinking it. You don't need a business plan as a teen to mow grass, tutor, wash cars or baby sit. While you do your swat I will be making money

Old 05-07-2014, 10:22 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,018,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh u View Post
Answer is Yes.

American teens don't want to work

"The number of teens with summer jobs has fallen roughly 30 percentage points since the late ‘70s. In 1978, nearly three in four teenagers (71.8%) ages 16 to 19 held a summer job, but as of last year, only about four in 10 teens did"

"While the number of 16- to 19-year-olds not in the labor force who want a job has remained relatively flat since the mid-1990s, the number not wanting a job has steadily increased"

So who's at fault? The teens or the parents?

Ones values often come from their family/the society they grow up in.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:23 AM

2,294 posts, read 2,780,448 times
Quote:
You are overthinking it. You don't need a business plan as a teen to mow grass, tutor, wash cars or baby sit. While you do your swat I will be making money
See the previous posts. Yes, if there's an opportunity, SOME people can do that, and SOME will. The fact that not everyone can isn't due to laziness though. It's just a numbers game.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:35 AM

Quote:
See the previous posts. Yes, if there's an opportunity, SOME people can do that, and SOME will. The fact that not everyone can isn't due to laziness though. It's just a numbers game.
EXACTLY. If there are only say six parents who actually go out on Friday or Saturday night, you only need six babysitters if they all go out on the same nights and as few as three if half go out Friday, half go out Saturday. If you are the seventh, you may not find jobs unless there are issues with one of the six. This where cost benefit and SWAT analysis come into play. No business plan, just market analysis.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:40 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,379,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
The post office is in the next nearest true town and about 5 miles in rather than being where I live. The internet exists but I will get into it later (based on Jeo's post.) As I've said, your idea of suburbia based on where you live is not the way it is for everyone. The market and demographics are different based on the localized needs. You even said that with the market rates for what is charged in your area.

Nope, I have been around long enough (though not that old) to have started many successful businesses in various cities, states, suburbs, rural areas, and foreign countries. If you have ambition and ideas/products/services that you can sell, it rarely matters where you live, particularly with the current web markets. As a 12 y.o., I was in the middle of nowhere farmland and figured out how to sell seeds door-to-door to farmers/gardeners... In the city, I set up a lemonade stand next to Wrigley Field.

And please don't tell me why all these "jobs" won't work for you.... I am not suggesting you copy other people's ideas. Figure out the needs in your particular market - don't wait around for someone to give you a plan. But maybe stop with the excuses and address the possibility that it is your own mindset, not the economy, that is hampering your success. I possibly smell lack of ambition and/or risk aversion...

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 05-07-2014 at 10:59 AM..

Old 05-07-2014, 10:45 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,379,815 times
Quote:
My thoughts exactly... Analysis Paralysis... Sometimes a problem with business majors.

p.s. Mkpunk, Don't forget to use intuition/instinct/passion, in addition to your SWAT charts.

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 05-07-2014 at 10:59 AM..

Old 05-07-2014, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
Nope, I have been around long enough (though not that old) to have started many successful businesses in various cities, states, suburbs, rural areas, and foreign countries. If you have ambition and ideas that you can sell - it rarely matters where you live, particularly with the current web markets.

As a 12 y.o., I was in the middle of nowhere farmland and figured out how to sell seeds door-to-door to farmers/gardeners.... In the city, I set up a lemonade stand next to Wrigley Field. And please don't tell me why all these "jobs" won't work for you.... I am not suggesting you copy other people's ideas. But maybe stop with the excuses and address the possibility that it is your own mindset, not the economy, that is hampering your success. I smell lack of ambition and risk aversion - sorry.
It is risk aversion because of the LOCAL economies at play or with e-business, the larger economies. If you can't sell lemonade at Wrigley Field because you will need a permit to do so (refer to my previous article link) YOU WON'T. If the economy does not demand tutors, you cannot tutor. It's as simple as that. That is all I am saying and you and others take it as being lazy. NO, it's looking better at the economies at play. If the market wont buy your service, it will NOT WORK AT ALL! Don't tell me it will because it can't.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:57 AM

Quote:

Not everyone can but of those who tried ? Most don't try
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics