Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 04:46 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,397,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
V
If it were up to me, there would be a single age at which parents are expected to support you, and then not expected to do so after you reach that age. Or perhaps one age if you are a full time student and another if you're not (e.g. 18 if not/22 if so).

However, what we have right now is a real mess. If you're over 18, you cannot legally force your parents to chip in one dime, and yet, if you're under 24, the government looks at your parents' income when determining the award of financial aid for college, unless you're married or in the military.

This is wrong. Either you're an adult when you're 18 or when you're 24, not both at the same time. The system we have now essentially takes away aid to a person due to money they do not legally have access to - their parents'.
I think this makes a lot of sense.

re: the article linked above regarding working through college, I too don't understand how she got "a full ride scholarship" but still had to work that much. It makes no sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2014, 03:49 PM

894 posts, read 1,050,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Millennials are smarter than people give them credit for. At least we know that we got f*cked and our financial system is corrupt and meant to be exclusive.

I think most are just trying to live their lives as best as they can-travel is a BIG thing. Boomers will be working into their 90s trying to pay off the McMansion and new car lease.
That is true. I'm sort of an in-betweener at 36, and I agree that Millennials are smart enough to realize the system is one big f*cking game that is rigged against the average person unless they're lucky enough to belong to the 1%. They realize there's no point in busting your a** just to buy a bunch of sh*t you don't really need and would rather make enough to take care of expenses and just enjoy life. I don't think Millennials are lazy as much as they're just hip to the game.

Old 09-14-2014, 10:11 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,922,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFigureMeOut View Post
That is true. I'm sort of an in-betweener at 36, and I agree that Millennials are smart enough to realize the system is one big f*cking game that is rigged against the average person unless they're lucky enough to belong to the 1%. They realize there's no point in busting your a** just to buy a bunch of sh*t you don't really need and would rather make enough to take care of expenses and just enjoy life. I don't think Millennials are lazy as much as they're just hip to the game.
How about putting some effort into becoming one of the 15%? It's not that hard - you just have to beat out 85% of the population, most of whom aren't trying - and being in the top 15% (household income about $150K and above) is a pretty decent lifestyle. Especially when you compare it to most of the people who have ever lived, including in this country just a generation or two ago.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:05 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,169,175 times
Quote:

If it were up to me, there would be a single age at which parents are expected to support you, and then not expected to do so after you reach that age. Or perhaps one age if you are a full time student and another if you're not (e.g. 18 if not/22 if so).

However, what we have right now is a real mess. If you're over 18, you cannot legally force your parents to chip in one dime, and yet, if you're under 24, the government looks at your parents' income when determining the award of financial aid for college, unless you're married or in the military.

This is wrong. Either you're an adult when you're 18 or when you're 24, not both at the same time. The system we have now essentially takes away aid to a person due to money they do not legally have access to - their parents'.

How wrong is that? It's like saying you have to pay taxes you can't afford because your ex-spouse earned a lot this year, and at the same time you can't collect any spousal support. I'm sure you'd be very upset if this happened to you, and rightly so. It is, simply put, a double standard - if you can't access the money, it shouldn't be held against you.

All I ask is that we apply the same principle to everyone, including college students. Is this really too much to ask?
I don't disagree with this point, but what would end up happening is all "adults" would qualify for aid because very few 18 year olds make 40-50k+, so this would mean that the US taxpayer would be supporting higher ed.

Old 09-15-2014, 10:26 AM

894 posts, read 1,050,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
How about putting some effort into becoming one of the 15%? It's not that hard - you just have to beat out 85% of the population, most of whom aren't trying - and being in the top 15% (household income about $150K and above) is a pretty decent lifestyle. Especially when you compare it to most of the people who have ever lived, including in this country just a generation or two ago.
Why bother? If you can be happy making 50k instead of 150k, so be it. I have a friend whose husband makes 250k a year and they're drowning in debt and will be forced to sell their million dollar house unless she goes back to work. It's not about how much money you make, it's what you do with it.

Old 09-15-2014, 11:17 PM

143 posts, read 332,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
I was one of the millions of college graduates back in the great recession who couldn't find employment. The employment that I finally found barely covered rent and had no room for growth.

I am finally, just this month, starting my first job that actually pays a decent income and that I can grow a thriving career out of, three years after graduating college. And I had to move across the whole country to get it.

The early Millennials, like myself, are likely to face stunted careers for the rest of our lives. I was one of the lucky ones who escaped, but there are hundreds of thousands just like me still in just the state of Florida from which I came. So yes, I highly believe that if the millions of layoffs that occurred in our nation (to the benefit of executives) didn't occur then myself, and millions of others in my generation would have been better off.

What might I have invented? Well, without the ability to gain real work experience it is pretty hard to be innovative. No one invented anything without some knowledge of how the cogs turned. And only now are those opportunities to learn first hand opening up to me personally.

Our nations future is all the poorer because boomers and X'ers crashed our economy. Millennials had nothing to do with that. We are merely adjusting to the world that we aged into.
*Standing ovation*

As a fellow millenial, I couldn't agree more. I did not go to a top university and graduate with honors just so that I can work for $10/hour. Yes, I actually had some airhead recruiter offering me an "accounting job" that paid $10/hour in freaking Downtown Los Angeles. That's f***ing insulting; I made more than that per hour with my p/t college job and I didn't even do squat.

By the way, I think having kids given today's economic climate is one of the most asinine things one can do. Automation, outsourcing, and competition from cheap global labor means kids today will have almost no chance of landing a decent paying job.

"Humans Need Not Apply"
Humans Need Not Apply - YouTube

Old 09-16-2014, 01:55 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,922,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFigureMeOut View Post
Why bother? If you can be happy making 50k instead of 150k, so be it. I have a friend whose husband makes 250k a year and they're drowning in debt and will be forced to sell their million dollar house unless she goes back to work. It's not about how much money you make, it's what you do with it.
That's true, but I hear a lot of whining from people who think that trying to get ahead is a sucker's game and that life is rigged against them, so I wouldn't say they're happy. If you're happy on any particular amount of money - and not saying the world owes you a better shake - then that amount of money is fine.

Old 09-16-2014, 07:23 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,593,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
I don't disagree with this point, but what would end up happening is all "adults" would qualify for aid because very few 18 year olds make 40-50k+, so this would mean that the US taxpayer would be supporting higher ed.
Which is justified, as living in an educated society benefits everyone.

Old 09-16-2014, 07:29 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,169,175 times
Quote:
Which is justified, as living in an educated society benefits everyone.
So you are saying that everyone without a college education is uneducated. I guess I should go tell my wife and all of my best friends they are uneducated because they decided not to pursue a BA.

A college education is not necessary for success and it is definitely not necessary to be considered "educated". We live in a society where knowledge is at your fingertips. I have a PhD and I take 9-10 free online courses every year at Coursera. I think it is rather ignorant for you to refer to someone that didn't complete a BA as uneducated.

Old 09-16-2014, 07:34 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,593,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
So you are saying that everyone without a college education is uneducated. I guess I should go tell my wife and all of my best friends they are uneducated because they decided not to pursue a BA.

A college education is not necessary for success and it is definitely not necessary to be considered "educated". We live in a society where knowledge is at your fingertips. I have a PhD and I take 9-10 free online courses every year at Coursera. I think it is rather ignorant for you to refer to someone that didn't complete a BA as uneducated.
Okay, if I'm being pedantic, it's because you forced me to.

All else equal, a society full of people with post-secondary degrees will benefit the general population, compared to one where only a small fraction have it.

This is so because, all else equal, those without the degrees tend to be less educated.

How's that for precise?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics