Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 08:38 PM

2,485 posts, read 2,219,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
No different than the last 200 years. The biggest difference, however, is that we no longer have the jobs to support these people.

I don't believe this is true. I think what's happening is that the root reason that wages are declining in real terms is supply vs. demand. For example, in my industry wages have totally collapsed and jobs have shrunk considerably over the past 20 years. The employees that are left are better at what they do and more profitable, yet make much less money. Why? No bargaining power. Too many people chasing too few jobs.

Sure we are, but it's not because we need it. It's because the corporations have too much power because they can bride our politicians through campaign contributions. It's in the corporations best interests to drive down wages and that's what H1b visas do.

Why can employers rely on skilled foreign labor? I would say for 2 reasons-
1. Because our corrupt politicians allow them to via H1b visas.
2. (most important) Not enough jobs, too many applicants for jobs.

Again, we are already have too many educated people for the available jobs. Why would more education help? Education does not drive demand. Companies aren't going to miraculously create more jobs than they need.

Except that it's impossible to predict which skills or trades will be in demand in a year, five years, ten years, etc…

I am living proof of that as my industry was supposed to be one of those that is recession proof, and look what happened to me.

You talk a lot about your industry. May I ask what your industry is?

Second, you say that our corrupt politicians support these immigration policies. I see a lot of Americans, middle class Americans, supporting these policies themselves. They are the ones who advocate for it, push Obama on it, etc. Americans vote against their interests if that's how you define their interest.

Corporations can't open borders and they aren't recruiting directly at the borders. It is American voters who reject strict immigration control, who want to be pro immigration, who want to embrace multiculturalism, who have made immigration into a black and white racial issue. Liberals shouldn't criticize immigration. They need to be consistent. They will swallow all of it looks like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 07:55 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,921,465 times
Typical junk from the media/govt. Don't worry, everythings fine, it will all go back to normal soon. Meanwhile, everything continues to head toward the dumpster.

Old 09-05-2014, 11:17 AM

3,092 posts, read 1,947,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costaexpress View Post
You talk a lot about your industry. May I ask what your industry is?

Second, you say that our corrupt politicians support these immigration policies. I see a lot of Americans, middle class Americans, supporting these policies themselves. They are the ones who advocate for it, push Obama on it, etc. Americans vote against their interests if that's how you define their interest.

Corporations can't open borders and they aren't recruiting directly at the borders. It is American voters who reject strict immigration control, who want to be pro immigration, who want to embrace multiculturalism, who have made immigration into a black and white racial issue. Liberals shouldn't criticize immigration. They need to be consistent. They will swallow all of it looks like.
I'd rather not say about my industry.

As to the support of immigration policies, I believe you are totally wrong. I believe that middle class America is overwhelmingly in favor of immigration reform. I truly have never heard of any group, other than elite business owners, pushing politicians to allow for continued immigration expansion and H1b visas. The anecdotal evidence that most people do not support immigration is overwhelming.

To pin this on American voters, in my opinion, is extremely unfair and incorrect.

Old 09-05-2014, 04:17 PM

Quote:
I'd rather not say about my industry.

As to the support of immigration policies, I believe you are totally wrong. I believe that middle class America is overwhelmingly in favor of immigration reform. I truly have never heard of any group, other than elite business owners, pushing politicians to allow for continued immigration expansion and H1b visas. The anecdotal evidence that most people do not support immigration is overwhelming.

To pin this on American voters, in my opinion, is extremely unfair and incorrect.
"Immigration reform" is a vague term used by each party to mean what they mean. But in general, it means giving a path to citizenship to undocumented immigrants, giving in-state tuition to the children of undocumented immigrants, adding more h1b visas. Of course, such reform has restrictions too, but the main purpose is to make it easier for people to immigrate and for undocumented immigrants to come out and live publicly in the US. If you hang around liberal circles, you would hear people saying they are pro immigration, that those bigots are racists and hateful for not wanting these immigrants. Heck, if you hang around libertarian and some conservative circles, you will also hear people saying they respect migrants work ethic much more than the entitled mindset of some of America's own citizens.

When Obama said "but we are also a nation of immigrants." People nodded their heads. From the media, to councils, to universities, people voted to give undocumented immigrants and their children driver license, in state tuition, etc. This is democratically done, not with microsoft gun pointed at them, ok?

Old 09-05-2014, 11:51 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,048,732 times
Quote:
The old school of elitist cultural humanities majors has been replaced by technology workers. In fact, our whole work visa scheme was driven by the technology boom.
Quote:
Except that it's impossible to predict which skills or trades will be in demand in a year, five years, ten years, etc…
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
If I had it my way, more money would be devoted to pure sciences, the arts, teaching and many other fields that uplifts society at large but may not be as profitable on the surface. If you have an economy focused only on the bottom line, this is what you'll get.
Those non-trendy humanities majors write for NBC News, The New York Times, and The Wall Street Journal. They are the backbone of the mainstream media, and the speechwriters of every politician and talking head CEO out there. They create TV shows and movies. They are actors, entertainers, fashion designers, historians. They represent skills that are essential to our culture, ones that are not going to be less so in the future.

I have visited beautifully designed websites with fantastic graphics, but the text had laughably poor grammar and punctuation. The overemphasis on technology or STEM education has or will have, I fear, the side-effect of producing a generation of people who in many cases cannot write well or communicate their ideas coherently. Many foreign workers have a real deficit in this area, and present little to no competition to US workers for jobs that require excellent language skills. Someone has to keep being writers, teachers, musicians. It would not surprise me in the least if the pendulum swings back to focus on such education. A society cannot function without humanities education---literature, history, philosophy, art and music---or at least not a society that anybody would want to live in.

Old 09-06-2014, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Those non-trendy humanities majors write for NBC News, The New York Times, and The Wall Street Journal. They are the backbone of the mainstream media, and the speechwriters of every politician and talking head CEO out there. They create TV shows and movies. They are actors, entertainers, fashion designers, historians. They represent skills that are essential to our culture, ones that are not going to be less so in the future.

I have visited beautifully designed websites with fantastic graphics, but the text had laughably poor grammar and punctuation. The overemphasis on technology or STEM education has or will have, I fear, the side-effect of producing a generation of people who in many cases cannot write well or communicate their ideas coherently. Many foreign workers have a real deficit in this area, and present little to no competition to US workers for jobs that require excellent language skills. Someone has to keep being writers, teachers, musicians. It would not surprise me in the least if the pendulum swings back to focus on such education. A society cannot function without humanities education---literature, history, philosophy, art and music---or at least not a society that anybody would want to live in.
Just because you think so doesn't mean that the pendulum will swing back.

There is little money for it. Our higher education system is becoming more like job training. The pendulum won't swing back in the even remote future.

Old 09-06-2014, 07:56 AM

3,092 posts, read 1,947,747 times
Quote:
"Immigration reform" is a vague term used by each party to mean what they mean. But in general, it means giving a path to citizenship to undocumented immigrants, giving in-state tuition to the children of undocumented immigrants, adding more h1b visas. Of course, such reform has restrictions too, but the main purpose is to make it easier for people to immigrate and for undocumented immigrants to come out and live publicly in the US. If you hang around liberal circles, you would hear people saying they are pro immigration, that those bigots are racists and hateful for not wanting these immigrants. Heck, if you hang around libertarian and some conservative circles, you will also hear people saying they respect migrants work ethic much more than the entitled mindset of some of America's own citizens.

When Obama said "but we are also a nation of immigrants." People nodded their heads. From the media, to councils, to universities, people voted to give undocumented immigrants and their children driver license, in state tuition, etc. This is democratically done, not with microsoft gun pointed at them, ok?
Not ok. I don't believe that your general point is true. Actually, I believe the opposite is true. I believe Americans are overwhelmingly in favor of the following:

1. no driver's licenses to illegal immigrants
2. no social programs for illegal immigrants
3. restriction on the number of immigrants allowed into this country
4. elimination or restriction of h1b visas
5. tariffs or other policies that would counter outsourcing

Old 09-06-2014, 11:21 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,048,732 times
Quote:
Just because you think so doesn't mean that the pendulum will swing back.

There is little money for it. Our higher education system is becoming more like job training. The pendulum won't swing back in the even remote future.
Google leads search for humanities PhD graduates | AH21CW

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/christ...b_5669505.html

Old 09-06-2014, 01:44 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,771,138 times
Quote:
The way to fix this problem is NOT "wait it out". The way to fix it is to make higher education affordable once again.
Question: Where do you propose that the funds come from to do this? Which of your taxes, do you want to double and triple to pay for this affordable education?

Old 09-06-2014, 02:44 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,322,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
The life expectancy has increased by 10+ years since my babyboomer parents were born, so is it really a stunt, or just a shift in the timeline?
I don't think people will be increasing retirement age by whatever the increase in life expectancy is. They very well may be forced out of the labor force relatively early, compared to lifespan, as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics