Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 12:22 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,318,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UntilTheNDofTimE View Post
Why do people always think that job statue is what makes a person? The OP wants a menial job so he has no ambition and won't make anything of his life? So what if the OP doesn't want to join the rat race that everyone is so inclined to join. Some people think I'm crazy. I work an entry level job that I have little motivation to move out of. The pay affords me to live on my own, buy what I need, and live the life I choose. The reason I stay in my position is because it's a relatively easy job with little to no stress. I save more money on average than most that make over 100k do.

Some people say I have no ambition because I don't want a promotion I can easily get. People say the same thing about my 25 year old car (which is the same age as me) that I won't replace even though I can afford it. Some people enjoy living life rather than spending their life challenging themselves in the working world. Personally I'd rather just take walks, ride my bike, and enjoy life than deal with all the stress that comes with school, student loan debt, and high paying-high stressful jobs.
I agree. Many people act as if there exists some universal law that says every person born is supposed to grow to become a go-getter, a high achiever, an ambitious person, etc., and the people that choose to live simply or those who simply choose to not burden themselves with the responsibilities and/or constraints of climbing the corporate ladder or living a 'normal' materialistic-centered existence are 'losers' or lacking ambition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 08:47 PM

483 posts, read 691,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post

--The other issue with trying to work in a library is a lot of the jobs are being automated away, so I really don't advocate it unless you 1. like libraries AND 2. like computers/IT stuff....as that's where the field is going. However, IT people tend to be not like helping customers...and I think there will always be a customer service component, although the nature of it changes to helping people do things on the computer instead of finding books on shelves and collecting fines.
how 'bout digitization of the much-lamented "archival backlog"? That doesn't strike me as having to know a lot about computers (at least not in the way I think of as "knowing" "computers"), and it sounds low-stress in the bargain. (I know the problem is also that no one is making room and time to clear the backlog, but some day I think this bottleneck will clearly change, as it becomes priorized due to patrons pressuring the lending institutions into it.)

Old 09-25-2014, 05:34 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
I agree. Many people act as if there exists some universal law that says every person born is supposed to grow to become a go-getter, a high achiever, an ambitious person, etc., and the people that choose to live simply or those who simply choose to not burden themselves with the responsibilities and/or constraints of climbing the corporate ladder or living a 'normal' materialistic-centered existence are 'losers' or lacking ambition.
^^^^^

Excellent point.

There are a few people out there that seem to think if you're not a super aggressive ambitious career-obsessed person who is out to be #1 you are some kind of contemptible failure. Listen: some folks are just by nature shy or quiet or artistic or mellow people.

There is nothing wrong with seeking out a low stress job. Many people cannot handle a job that requires physical strength or lifting, and we don't criticize folks because they have a bad back or limited physical strength. I cannot understand a person looking down on someone else who wants a low stress job.

Old 09-25-2014, 05:55 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
Sure. But, the same could be said of any job. One can have nightmare co-workers/bosses in any industry/workplace.
Yes, definitely true. I was just sayin' it's not always the bed of roses that some people imagine.

Quote:
My mum had a librarian friend who worked at a very small, satellite, crowded, inner-city library built on the ground floor of the projects. The crowd it drew, particularly with the horrendous level of noise once all the students came in to do hours of homework after school, made her despise her job. She was absolutely miserable & plagued with headaches for years before she found an opening in the main library downtown & was able to transfer. I know she had to be very persistent, because filling the project library vacancy was tough as it was only entry level librarians who would take it & the neighborhood was so dicey, many refused. The only benefit is that library had daily short hours (10am-4pm only) & was closed on weekends.
Yes, we have similar issues in libraries in bad neighborhoods where I work. I don't think it's as intense as where your mom worked, but they definitely have to deal with gangbangers, theft, etc. By the time the cops get there, it's usually too late.

Quote:
But, I did want to ask you something, Tyger, if you don't mind. Are libraries city or state funded or does it differ state by state?
Where I live in California, it's typically a mix. We do get some state funding, but very little. It primarily comes from local tax revenue. I think that's the case in most places.

Quote:
And, are librarians considered gov't workers?
If it's a public library, yes. Although they're more likely employees of the local city/county/university than the state government. Also, don't assume all are getting those nice civil service pensions. Those of us who work full time do, but full time library staff are in the minority. Some have part time benefited positions that provide pension benefits but our library isn't one of them. We do have part time benefited staff who get health insurance, sick time, vacation, etc....but no civil service pension. We have other part-time staff who get essentially no benefits.

Quote:
I'm stunned to hear funds are being cut
It's nothing new. In local jurisdictions this is how it works. Police and Fire departments get first dibs on everything because nobody wants to cut them...and they play that up to the hilt. People say they want libraries, but when push comes to shove, the police & firefighters will win over all other departments.

Quote:
Aside from the books & CDs I also borrowed, what could be better? Do most people know those things are available & that they can in most cases, be ordered from other libraries if they're not shelved at one's local library?
There are lots of things that could be better, but it depends on the individual library system. We really could use more hours of operation. Our branches are only open 4 days per week. Our main library is open 7 days per week, but lots of people never venture downtown. As far as what people know, it varies a lot. A lot of people don't realize they can return things from Branch A to Branch B. I would say the knowledge level varies a lot. In general, the better educated folks know how to make the most of the system (true for any system).

Quote:
I don't know why I didn't become a librarian. I wanted to be one as a kid (like Parker Posey in the movie Party Girl).
I definitely like it, but some folks get the idea that you're doing recreational reading half your day. It isn't like that. At all.

Old 09-25-2014, 06:01 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Janitor?

Old 09-25-2014, 09:09 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:
I don't know what that is supposed to mean?
No one wants to pay more in taxes. Librarians are paid with tax $$$$$. It has to come from somewhere. I doubt they're going to collect bottles and cans so they can return them and get the nickel back. Add all those nickels to the library's budget. It's sad to see library budgets cut, but many libraries are not used all that much unfortunately.

Old 09-26-2014, 07:37 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
It's sad to see library budgets cut, but many libraries are not used all that much unfortunately.
I don't know how it is where you live, but our library system is used a lot. Both the facilities as well as the online resources (e-books, e-audio books, online databases, etc.).

Old 09-26-2014, 07:57 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,350,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I don't know how it is where you live, but our library system is used a lot. Both the facilities as well as the online resources (e-books, e-audio books, online databases, etc.).
I agree. Wherever I've lived, our libraries were well used, too. In Boston, in particular, lines waited outside for the library to open, at several branches & the main one in Copley Sq. I've never seen an unused library, but I've also always lived in large cities.

Old 09-29-2014, 06:30 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,990,240 times
Truck driving has worked for me for the last 20 years.

Old 10-30-2014, 02:53 PM

10,359 posts, read 7,990,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
Yeah i was thinking of a skilled trade in construction between Carpenter, A Electrician or a Painter.

I would think carpentry is the most physically stressful while Electrician being the most mentally stressful and painting not so much like the other two. Plumbing and Welding seem more physical demanding.

Painting seems the less stressful yet it keeps me physically active although it wouldn't pay as much as Carpentry or Electricial work but wouldn't care
Of the three choices you list, electrician is going to be the most secure job - because it requires a license, there's little danger of the job wages being driven down by competition with unskilled (often illegal) laborers. And you keep saying you don't care how much the job pays. Believe me, you WILL care once the bills start piling up. Not earning enough money to support yourself is EXTREMELY stressful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics