Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2015, 03:59 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,291,785 times

Advertisements

The millennials by and large are a generation of whiners and do not have the work ethic of prior generations. Having said that, the boomers (who I happen to be one), of have by far been the most self centered, and exploitative of any generation since the 20's. The boomers have expanded the practice of greed and selfishness to the level of cutting edge.
They have definitely left the millennials holding the bag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2015, 05:09 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,638,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gordon View Post
Their inner feelings of inferiority and their belief they won't live up to our goals or accomplishments?
-Dr Gordon PhD Clinical Psychology Class of 1963.
I think the facts are pretty straight that the baby boom generation did not run things well in this country. Medicare, Social Security, Collapsing Currency due to runaway inflation, Multi trillion dollar deficit etc..

I think it'd be unfair to "blame" them. I think this is much bigger and goes to the spiritual level, BUT Social Security won't be there for the Millenials. Neither will Social Security.

Yet WE pay into the system correct?

Where is the younger generations entitlement?

It's all built up on fantasy. I sure hope the Clinical Psychology Class went over the importance of not depending on Medicare, Social Security, or your retirement savings for that matter for retirement.

But you can bet that the COSTS of caring for this generation will continue to grind away at the younger generations.

Paying for your retirement and healthcare while we struggle to make our monthly bills to the increasing cost.. what about our healthcare and retirement?..

Did they cover that in Dr. Gordon's class as he's raking in the dough off of a salary blown up by Student Loan debt?

Not to start a generation war.

It is what it is..

But don't expect us tiny little group of younger generations to be able to support this massive baby boom generation.

The numbers just do not add up.. and they haven't for decades now.

But nothing was ever done to resolve the issue. The boomers did not plan well for their most vulnerable years and tolerated poor management of their resources with tolerating poor leadership and phony politics.

Old 01-01-2015, 05:30 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,186,992 times
This is one of the dumbest troll topics I've ever seen.

Old 01-01-2015, 06:04 PM

214 posts, read 282,042 times
Seriously the only thing I see about millenials is that they're boring.

Never gave one a chance to show me more than that because I get way too bored to stick around long enough to find out... about the whiny and lazy part everybody else complains about. Not all of them but most of them. There are some cool ones. Hard to find though.

boring

way too serious

know it all (googleSMART not bookSMART)

cranky old person attitude (perfect example is the dude on the front page of this thread going back and forth with the older guy with nothing but smarta55 remarks with no wit or depth... like a guy on his period). seriously my grandma is waaaay more fun to hang around than your average mid to late 20 year old... sad but true

no talent the generation sucks when it comes to music, actors, entertainers, do they even have any comedians? (no hilariously good ones). Doubt they can even laugh at themselves to be one.

not sexy at all. no sexual appeal or sexual passion

the females seem stronger than the males... when it comes to social skills, confidence, personality

and freaked out about having to go to any "professional" that age. Seriously think a lot of them got their degrees online. Paramedics, doctor, nurses, lawyers, cops, 911 operators, whatever the profession is. They're really bad at what they do. I'm thinking the lack of social skills, confidence and brains is the reason why we're all of a sudden having so many problems with these reckless acting cops getting in so much trouble lately in the news... the ones shooting and killing the unarmed men back to back... bet most of them are millenials. I have a lot more horror storys on other 20 somethings when it comes to doing their jobs right

and they're pretty homely looking not that attractive

Long story short.. BORING

Don't know where the millennial generation ends and the generation before that starts but I notice if you're younger than 23 than the genes get bigger and better... more like generation X (who are their parents - so it makes sense). Think it's supposed to be 16-30 but I think it's closer to twenties to early 30's.

Can't blame them.. I guess... the internet's fault. (shrug) They've only got about another 5 or so more years and they'll be so old no one will care to talk about them anymore... just waiting on the younger generation to do their thing. Then you'lll wake up from the coma that they've got some of you all in

...countdown....

Last edited by underated9; 01-01-2015 at 06:14 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-01-2015, 06:18 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,665,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underated9 View Post
Seriously the only thing I see about millenials is that they're boring.

Never gave one a chance to show me more than that because I get way too bored to stick around long enough to find out... about the whiny and lazy part everybody else complains about. Not all of them but most of them. There are some cool ones. Hard to find though.

boring

way too serious

know it all (googleSMART not bookSMART)

cranky old person attitude (perfect example is the dude on the front page of this thread going back and forth with the older guy with nothing but smarta55 remarks with no wit or depth... like a guy on his period). seriously my grandma is waaaay more fun to hang around than your average mid to late 20 year old... sad but true

no talent the generation sucks when it comes to music, actors, entertainers, do they even have any comedians? (no hilariously good ones). Doubt they can even laugh at themselves to be one.

not sexy at all. no sexual appeal or sexual passion

the females seem stronger than the males... when it comes to social skills, confidence, personality

and freaked out about having to go to any "professional" that age. Seriously think a lot of them got their degrees online. Paramedics, doctor, nurses, lawyers, cops, 911 operators, whatever the profession is. They're really bad at what they do. I'm thinking the lack of social skills, confidence and brains is the reason why we're all of a sudden having so many problems with these reckless acting cops getting in so much trouble lately in the news... the ones shooting and killing the unarmed men back to back... bet most of them are millenials. I have a lot more horror storys on other 20 somethings when it comes to doing their jobs right

and they're pretty homely looking not that attractive

Long story short.. BORING

Don't know where the millennial generation ends and the generation before that starts but I notice if you're younger than 23 than the genes get bigger and better... more like generation X (who are their parents - so it makes sense). Think it's supposed to be 16-30 but I think it's closer to twenties to early 30's.

Can't blame them.. I guess... the internet's fault. (shrug) They've only got about another 5 or so more years and they'll be so old no one will care to talk about them anymore... just waiting on the younger generation to do their thing. Then you'lll wake up from the coma that they've got some of you all in

...countdown....
ROFL

I would like to know what generation you're from. That way I know which one is the dumbest.

Old 01-01-2015, 06:23 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,638,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Bits and pieces of what I have to say have already been covered in this thread but I'll put in my $0.02...

After WW II, the rest of the industrial world was bombed to rubble and the United States was 50% of the world economy. The US had an enormous labor shortage. Any high school graduate could get a repetitive task job in a factory and get to the middle class.

When I entered the workforce as a software engineer in 1981, every corporation had a big technical library. I did telecom. The LSSGR published by Bellcore was a 6 foot rack of paper manuals that was very expensive. Everything was like that. If you didn't have access to that enormous and costly library, there's no way you could ever do product development or learn about a technology. This was an enormous trade barrier. Fast forward to 2015. Today, I use Google for everything. Virtually every telecom and internet standard is free and downloadable. Somebody sitting in China or India has the exact same access to the information as I do. Little surprise that most telecom development has been pushed to Asia where employees are paid 20 cents on the dollar compared to US engineering costs. I spent the last 5 years working for a Taiwanese company and now work for a Korean company. It's really tough to do product development in the United States. What happened in my little universe has happened in lots of other industry sectors. All consumer electronics come from Asia. Virtually anything you buy in Walmart from clothing to duct tape comes from China. I've been bumping into unemployed corporate attorneys who had their jobs doing patent/IPR work or reviewing corporate contracts pushed to India. If it's cheaper to do something offshore, it moves. Global competition has been brutal for what used to be middle class repetitive task factory jobs. The trend isn't encouraging that lots of high value-add jobs are also becoming victims of global competition.

The other big impact is automation. Unless you live in New Jersey, where can you find a full service gas station? They don't exist around me. We're expected to push a credit card into the gas pump and operate the pump ourselves. That's been rampant through the economy as technology has displaced jobs. Who has a secretary these days? Looking forwards, you can expect that many more jobs will be fully automated. You'll order using a touchscreen at McDonalds and a machine will cook and dispense your food. A robot will deliver your Amazon.com order instead of the brown UPS truck. Your routine doctor visit will be a chunk of software and your health insurance won't pay for a physician office visit unless the software says your problem requires human intervention.

Unless you're capable of creating intellectual property, the value of most jobs will continue to be diminished through these global competition and automation factors. You typically need to be about 2 standard deviations above average to handle an IPR value-add job and receive the science/technology/engineering/math training to do the work. That automatically excludes about 90% of the population. Even worse, the 0.1%-ers who have all the wealth today will be the ones investing in automation. They're only going to become wealthier and today's income stratification issue is only going to get worse.

If you're just entering the workforce today and you're not one of the lucky few born bright enough to handle the training and work requirements, it's not a rosy picture. An awful lot of 20-somethings won't be as economically successful as their parents. Such is the onward march of technology. No political party is going to be able to do a thing about it. It's already happened.

I entered the workforce in pretty tough economic times. Hyperinflation and a very high unemployment rate. I had the STEM skills so I had no trouble getting a good job and advancing my career. I suspect it's no different today for somebody like me. The problem is that there's now far less opportunity for the average person.

When I was 20, I knew lots of people who flunked out of college and were still bumbling around sponging off their parents and doing low end jobs. Most of them eventually manged to put themselves on some kind of career track. Quite a few of the lesser motivated ones got caught up in the Great Recession and became unemployed 5 or 6 years ago. If you think it's tough breaking into the workforce at age 20, try doing it in your 50's when your skills and work history aren't better than average. It's been a huge shock for a group of people who were on cruise control for a decade or two. I know lots of married couples my age where one of them has dropped out of the workforce completely. I think that's a big contributor to the big spread between the U3 reported unemployment rate and U6 which counts people who have given up.

So to rebut the original post in this thread, I think Millenials who are bright and motivated aren't all that different from what I experienced 35 years ago. It's the rude awakening for the average person that is now totally different. It's tough to learn the hard way that your job skills are only worth $10.00/hour to an employer.

This is a great post!

Thank you for posting

Old 01-01-2015, 06:31 PM

539 posts, read 523,950 times
OP is the biggest troll ever. I bet he walked 20 miles in the snow to school, as well.

Old 01-01-2015, 09:26 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,015,477 times
I have an MS, since graduating with my BS I have over 8 years of full time job experience related to my field.

I barely cleared $50k last year and I live in Southern CA. But yet I should be able to afford a home on that salary?

DH and I looked into buying a home recently and basically came to the conclusion unless we get a foreclosure that needs a lot of work extremely cheap, it's not going to happen. We decided to save our money (what would be a 20% down payment here) and move to his family's home state, where that amount would flat out buy a nice sized home.

Employers just don't care about their employees like they used to, the bar is continuously lowered. At one point I was making $12/hr PART TIME with an MS because I lost my previous job, that's DEPRESSING. Then when I found a full time job making $15/hr my employer acted SHOCKED I was leaving! REALLY?! Thanks for giving me a job but don't expect me to stick around making $960/month BEFORE taxes with rent that's $1300!

People aren't willing to negotiate anymore (I negotiated HARD for what I have now), people will take whatever, people are told to be "loyal" to companies that aren't loyal to them. You know what I get for loyalty after two years? No raise.

Then when people move around to get better salaries employers AND coworkers act like "how could you do that?" Which merely perpetuates people making less money. Out of all my coworkers I'm the only one who pushed for more money and I'm still not satisfied. The only reason I stick around now is because I don't want to start over somewhere with a newborn. My job gives flexibility because they know I work hard and allow me to set my own hours basically. I probably won't leave until my kid(s) hit elementary school.

Old 01-01-2015, 10:29 PM

2,485 posts, read 2,219,939 times
I often wonder about the social cost of having debt.

If you are an employer, would you feel comfortable if someone hasn't shown that they can pay off their debt or have a plan. You don't want someone who knows how to borrow and doesn't know how to take responsibility for it and gets bailed out by other people. it makes you concerned about their ability to function independently.

If you are looking at a potential friend or even spouse, would you feel comfortable taking in someone who is financially unskilled or irresponsible? Couples fight over money the most. Friends try to take advantage of others. Too much debt becomes social awkwardness and rejection.

Old 01-01-2015, 10:33 PM

1,901 posts, read 1,830,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costaexpress View Post
I often wonder about the social cost of having debt.

If you are an employer, would you feel comfortable if someone hasn't shown that they can pay off their debt or have a plan. You don't want someone who knows how to borrow and doesn't know how to take responsibility for it and gets bailed out by other people. it makes you concerned about their ability to function independently.

If you are looking at a potential friend or even spouse, would you feel comfortable taking in someone who is financially unskilled or irresponsible? Couples fight over money the most. Friends try to take advantage of others. Too much debt becomes social awkwardness and rejection.
You can eliminate all social costs of debt by just not marrying, telling your lovers NO when they ask for money, and telling your family/friends NO when they ask for money. If telling them NO makes them no longer want to associate with you, oh well, NEXT. The economy is hard on us Gen Y folks and sustaining YOURSELF is like climbing a mountain, you don't have time to sit up here trying to sustain other ADULTS as well because they are your pseudo "friend or family member". Friends and Family today are WORSE than Enemies, at least an Enemy will tell me he hates me....a Friend or Family Member will use you, gossip about you behind your back, turn their back on you in public, steal from you and (insert all sorts of other foul crap here).

As for Employers, they usually check someone's credit these days before hiring so as long as you have good credit, you should be okay. Bad credit is when they usually look down upon you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics