Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do higher wages increase productivity?
Yes 29 42.03%
No 29 42.03%
Other 11 15.94%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 02:37 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times

Advertisements

Raise wages by 50% all through the employment statistics. This can only happen, if all prices were raised by 50% to cover the additional wages as those raises can only come about if there is additional money to cover them. End result, the buying power of the total dollars of income, would be right back where they are today, and the same people having a hard time living on minimum wages, would have the same problem at that time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 02:48 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,955,595 times
Productivity in business is improved with investments in automation, tools, and procedures. Any correlation to wages is associated higher skilled employees to operate in the more productive environment (a backhoe operator makes more than a laborer with a shovel).

Old 02-23-2015, 02:55 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,894,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Higher wages means less stressed-out, burnt-out employees; means higher quality of work.

Also means less turnover, less wasted time/effort/funds in training, and happier customers

It matters not what you are compensated...

Old 02-23-2015, 03:27 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,548,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkarin View Post
One argument I hear in favor of higher minimum wages is that they increase productivity at the workplace. While I am a minimum wage worker I am not so sure about this. I do believe that higher wages probably increase willingness to work for longer to make more money, but working longer is not the same as working better.

This just sounds like a cheap excuse to demand pay raises, honestly. Do you believe a higher wage increases productivity at the workplace? Explain your case whatever your standing.
So if your boss came to you today and said "Hakkarin we want to pay you $2 more dollars a hour, we just need a little more work out you during your daily shift"
You wouldn't take it?

Old 02-23-2015, 03:45 PM

3,792 posts, read 2,385,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Higher wages means less stressed-out, burnt-out employees; means higher quality of work.
I wish I wasn't so technotard and I could put one of those rolling on the floor laughing emoticons here. Thanks for a much needed laugh after working yet another double shift. You haven't dealt with the public much have you. I have to rep you just for the laugh.
two thumbs up for that one.

Old 02-23-2015, 06:00 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,966,930 times
I think to a certain degree but after a certain point they don't. I don't think paying doctors $200,000 a year instead of $80,000 has any influence on their performance, in fact after a certain point it might even have a negative influence since you'd end up getting people who do it "for the money" and don't care about helping others.

On the other hand I know for a fact that people will half ass menial and tedious jobs if the're only making a few bucks an hour, so I voted Yes.

Old 02-23-2015, 07:40 PM

78,414 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
So if your boss came to you today and said "Hakkarin we want to pay you $2 more dollars a hour, we just need a little more work out you during your daily shift"
You wouldn't take it?
Actually, in the scenario we are talking about in raising minimum wage significantly it would be more like, "Joe, you're fired. Sam, Kevin, Hakkarin...here's the $2 raise (or whatnot) and you need to cover for Joe.

For the most part, a 20% raise means you probably are going to have to be doing 20% more work because somebody got the axe.

Granted, that somebody likely was rather crappy so maybe it's 20% more pay for 10% more work.

Kinda sucks to be Joe though....but this is for his own good.

Old 02-23-2015, 07:40 PM

21,876 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
You wouldn't take it?
Not really the question.

The question is whether he would be more productive at minimum wage +$2/hour than at minimum wage. That's a little more complicated. Take a fast food restaurant. Your job is, say, to fry things. Pretty simple. Assuming you're regularly the constraint in the system and people are leaving because of long lines because everyone is waiting for fries, fair point. On the other hand if you spend most of your shift not really doing anything because there isn't anything to do, good luck with that.

I mean, sure, you could try and fry things AND ring up customers, but that might actually make you less productive not more.

Old 02-23-2015, 08:44 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,663,303 times
People are motivated by rewards. Giving them more pay for their work could not only make them willing to work harder; it can also reduce turnover, increase pride in workmanship, and make their lives a little easier outside of work, with more money to go around. Happier employees also means happier customers.

I think it's a sign of the times that we even have to debate this point. It seems employers used to understand the win-win relationship between treating employees well and having employees offer their loyalty and dedication in return. The humanity's gone out of it today.

Old 02-24-2015, 03:03 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,685,511 times
Quite a few times i saw people slow down production so that management would make saturday work mandatory giving them overtime pay. Of course, them working for the extra pay didnt increase the quality of what they were producing. Stuff still got rejected and/or came back as defective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics