Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2015, 04:34 PM

26,194 posts, read 21,601,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
So punish small business owners who doesn't have stock options to offer their owners because of the Fortune 500 company, now that's stupid and shows you don't have a clue what was done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
You completely missed the posters point with your tirade.
He did miss it and badly. Pretty funny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 04:47 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,343,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapie9969 View Post
I'm not into punishing anyone. But using GE as an example,Making millions and paying no taxes?(Obamas buddy) Or the big companies that shut down factories,Than build one overseas and then produce there and wish to sell here.They should have a tax or something leveled on them.
Our country can't compete with such cheap labor they have in other countries.
Then the people displaced from those jobs can learn other skills; posession of somthing such as a union card is, in effect, posession of a license to participate in a sanctioned monopoly and therefore, an agreement in restraint of trade -- though legitimized by the Wagner (National Labor Relations) Act of 1936

Why should the taxpayer subusidize a cartel to protect those whose skills (and attitudes that go with them) have been rendered obsolete??

Human progress is completely dependent upon the evolution of new technologies and new skills; those who refuse to adapt can excpect a lower standard of living.

Old 05-12-2015, 04:49 PM

2,991 posts, read 4,291,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Barbara View Post
. . . Hateful Christian universities . . . Bigots and other retrogrades in Bible Belt states . . . Whacked-out God-freaks . . . Stow the swill, dude. . . . twist-the-lawbooks hacks and huckters . . . cobbled up right-wing bullcrap . . . flim-flam turn-the-tables cow pies . . .
Your peckish notions . . .
It would be interesting to meet you in person to see whether you are indeed a swaggering loudmouth.

For those of you new to the show, this is the same gentleman who has posted under the names Oaktonite, Fairfaxer, Vendor Dude, and The Bishop. Major Barbara is a character from a play, whose rank comes from the Salvation Army.

Old 05-12-2015, 05:24 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,037,280 times
To address the OP and his ignorance lunacy, we should look at some facts:

1) Nobody who wants to "tax the 1%" is actually proposes punishing small businesses, people who work at a typical job and own a home, etc. That's just a typical straw-man argument made up by those on the far right. If you don't know who the "1%" are, than you are not qualified to speak on the subject. I'll give you a hint - it's not specifically the top 1% of earners, but rather sociopaths who have made a fortune gutting this nation, buying up our leaders, and so forth.

2) If you honestly think that reducing the amount an absurdly overpaid CEO is paid in stock options (as a reward for crashing the economy and gutting this nation) would "crash the stock," than you have zero understanding of how the stock market works. Simple solution: pay him less stock, link it to performance, and no flippin' Golden Parachutes or guaranteed huge payouts regardless of how badly he screws up.

3) Ah, yes, the old "gubermint is getting in the way!" canard. First, the "evil guberment" is controlled by your precious big business, not by some group of "lefty hippies." Big business has the money, big business controls the media, big business runs the show. if you don't like how this nation is being run, grow a spine and confront your corporate masters. Don't instead stand there, chucking slurs at a fictitious hippy commune that we're to believe exists in the shadows, somehow controlling everything.

4) More of the usual accusations against the "shiftless and irresponsible." Have you actually bothered to look up what percentage of people on assistance work or are disabled or elderly?

Contrary to "Entitlement Society" Rhetoric, Over Nine-Tenths of Entitlement Benefits Go to Elderly, Disabled, or Working Households | Center on Budget and Policy Priorities

Yeah, that's right, 9 out of 10 of them. I guess they are all "shiftless and irresponsible."

But what about your precious Big Business leaders? The ones who you want to reward for their bad behavior by letting them run completely free? Oh, but I guess that's okay when THEY are irresponsible and crash our economy, send our jobs overseas, buy up our leaders, etc.

Get a clue.

Old 05-12-2015, 06:15 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,692,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Barbara View Post
Many of your rambling personal-testimony posts are simply indistinguishable from fairy tales. The simple facts are that welfare recipients typically graduate from whatever programs they end up qualifying for. Sadly a society too driven by self-absorbed and uncaring sorts keeps dumping new cases into the system to replace them.
All my comments are about subsidized housing and there is no graduation or GED... except in the rarest of cases...

Old 05-12-2015, 06:46 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,750,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
To address the OP and his ignorance lunacy, we should look at some facts:

1) Nobody who wants to "tax the 1%" is actually proposes punishing small businesses, people who work at a typical job and own a home, etc. That's just a typical straw-man argument made up by those on the far right. If you don't know who the "1%" are, than you are not qualified to speak on the subject. I'll give you a hint - it's not specifically the top 1% of earners, but rather sociopaths who have made a fortune gutting this nation, buying up our leaders, and so forth.
Let me guess, you don't run a small business...at least a successful one.

Old 05-12-2015, 07:39 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,052,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
This is fundamentally wrong. Every conservative misunderstands this point.

It is not because of too much regulation that our industry and manufacturing jobs have disappeared; it is because of the extreme labor force cost savings enabled by globalization.

I work for a large Silicon Valley technology company that you have surely heard of. I manage their entire internal profitability. Know how much our typical fully-loaded US software engineer costs? North of $200K.

Know how much that software engineer costs in a place like India, all in? Try about $37-$40K.

As a US laborer, you cannot compete with that guy in India! I don't care if you reduce all the regulation to nothing. It is still orders of magnitude cheaper for the corporation to get the guy in India, who is educated and motivated to do the work.

And that's why the jobs are gone (except for the ****ty poverty wage McJobs), and that's why the income disparity is growing.

The fact that conservatives can't recognize this means that they are just as devoid of solutions to the problem as liberals.
The solutions to the problem are actually quite simple. The situation today is not much different than that of th 1880's and 1890's. The solutions came with Theodore Roosevelt becoming President.

Same solutions more than a century later.

Stop illegal immigration, limit legal immigration. Working class wages are being destroyed by mass immigration and the same thing happened more than a century ago. Limiting immigration raised working wages then and will today.

Break up the monopolies. Roosevelt used the Sherman Anti-Trust Act to break up the worst of the monopolies and encourage innovation and competition in the business world. Time to do this again!! Actually way past time.

Tax the Corporations!! Right now, they are exempt from taxation while small business is not!! Hard to compete with Goliath when the Government gives the advantage to them. Tax rates should be the same for small business as the large corporations. Government tax policy should be FAIR, not based on who contributed the most money in the last election.

The reason liberals/conservative don't have any solutions is that is that is a false split. The split is between the Elites and the American people. For the Elites there is no liberal/conservative split. It is just about political power.

Wall Street mogul, Mort Zuckerburg, said that Hillary versus Bush is the perfect scenario. He would NOT stay up to see the election returns since there it does not matter to Wall Street between Clinton and Bush.
They win in either case.

The only loser is the American people.

Just for information......last person I supported for President was Palin in 2008. Yeah, I voted for her after my liberal friends pointed out the McCain would die in office. Sort of the same way Theodore Roosevelt became President.

But the Elites from Barbara Bush all the way to Katie Coric were terrified of her.

Old 05-12-2015, 07:55 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,037,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Let me guess, you don't run a small business...at least a successful one.
Lol... Actually, I have, but nevermind that - what's your point?

Are you groundlessly confusing the phrase "the 1%" with the literal definition?

Do you actually believe that people in this nation are outraged at little Mom and Pop stores vs. face-sucking monsters from Wal-mart to Goldman Sachs who have done everything to sell this nation out?

Or, are you just making noise and taking sad little shots at me because you have no facts to counter?

Old 05-12-2015, 08:01 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,022,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spatula City View Post
It's not about punishing anyone.

Sooner or later, we're all going to have to start taking responsibility for the society we're living in or it's going to fall apart, and the wealthy are in a better position to do that.

If they're unwilling to take an interest in improving society for the majority, then they need to be motivated to do so.
It's not the responsibility of the few to improve the lives of the many.

If the many cannot improve their lives, they have nobody to blame but themselves.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:46 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
All my comments are about subsidized housing and there is no graduation or GED... except in the rarest of cases...

Obviously our subsidized housing policy is a failure, better to subsidize underemployed graduates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics