Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 11:55 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,056,523 times

Advertisements

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this one!

Recently, I read China wants to allow parents to have 2 children, but 69% of those polled claimed they weren't interested in having another child, and the younger people simply don't want any children, period!

I see falling fertility rates all over the world, even Mexico falling to 2.0, and a healthy fertility rate is 2.1, and I recently read that Iran is even trying hard to reverse a fertility rate decline there.

I know excess population results in worker exploitation, more destruction to the environment, but who's to say, even with fewer people in the world, the environmental destruction will not continue.

Yes, there are parts of Africa where the fertility rate is still up there around 6.0/7.0, but how many of those being born there will even attend their 1st birthday party or their 12th birthday party!

What kind of scenario's do you see being played out, in the world, economically, if these fertility rates continue to fall? Will China, Japan (1.2 rate) and South Korea (1.3 rate) provide some of the answers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2015, 05:46 AM

1,820 posts, read 1,655,716 times
They'll have no choice. Unlike the US with its years of immigration, China, Japan, and South Korea are now locked into higher and higher dependent-to-worker ratios going forward. It's not clear how or if they will actually be able to deal with that.

Old 07-14-2015, 08:54 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,322,562 times
That's below the rate of replacement. Demand for workers is probably going to be lower in the future due to increasing automation and robotics, so a reduced population combined with less of a need for human labor will probably lead to waffling around no net change.

Old 07-14-2015, 09:35 AM

32,659 posts, read 48,067,543 times
Slightly below the rate of replacement is good. The population is already more than the planet can support, so a slow reduction of the population is a good thing.

Two children are about all a family can support and educate. If those children are likely to survive to adulthood, that's all a family needs. Huge numbers of children are only a benefit when the majority of them die in infancy. As the population of the world becomes more prosperous, there is no need to produce a child every year.

Old 07-14-2015, 09:44 AM

5,668 posts, read 6,597,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
What kind of scenario's do you see being played out, in the world, economically, if these fertility rates continue to fall?
Much lower population is the future. The best we can hope for is that it will happen naturally rather than being forced. //www.city-data.com/forum/econo...verything.html

Old 07-14-2015, 10:01 AM

1,793 posts, read 1,442,568 times
The overall population of the earth is increasing.

Economically? Those 3rd worlders have to go somewhere right? They'll come to the 1st world and increase their consumption, increase pollution, and continue to have high birthrates until (hopefully) education, family planning and birth control finally slow then down. But how long will that take? What's the birthrate like here in America for our Hipanic immigrants? They've been here for a while now, is it slowing down?

NPR insists that Europe needs to provide for their African and ME immigrants, and only in fantasy land is that a positive. Do they make it to their 1st birthday or even to their 12th? Oh yeah, they certainly do that! For one example look at Niger's population since 1990.

At least we'll have lots of cheap labor for us (China in Africa FTW!) to exploit.

More people = more pollution.

Old 07-14-2015, 11:18 AM

1,820 posts, read 1,655,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficCory View Post
What's the birthrate like here in America for our Hipanic immigrants? They've been here for a while now, is it slowing down?
Yes. In fact virtually all of the recent declines in US fertility rates have come from our minority populations. The rate for white folks has been more or less flat for a good while.

Old 07-14-2015, 11:22 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,419,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this one!

Recently, I read China wants to allow parents to have 2 children, but 69% of those polled claimed they weren't interested in having another child, and the younger people simply don't want any children, period!

I see falling fertility rates all over the world, even Mexico falling to 2.0, and a healthy fertility rate is 2.1, and I recently read that Iran is even trying hard to reverse a fertility rate decline there.

I know excess population results in worker exploitation, more destruction to the environment, but who's to say, even with fewer people in the world, the environmental destruction will not continue.

Yes, there are parts of Africa where the fertility rate is still up there around 6.0/7.0, but how many of those being born there will even attend their 1st birthday party or their 12th birthday party!

What kind of scenario's do you see being played out, in the world, economically, if these fertility rates continue to fall? Will China, Japan (1.2 rate) and South Korea (1.3 rate) provide some of the answers?
In my opinion, Infertility is God's way of saying, STOP IT!

I'm infertile and I couldn't care less. I adopted my husband's kids instead.

If people would stop trying to play God to have their own little mini-me, and adopt these kids that don't have parents, this world would be a much better place.

Old 07-14-2015, 12:15 PM

34,092 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Lower population numbers will increase the wage value of the remaining population.
That will shift wealth back to the middle classes.

The issue is in limiting the birth reduction effect to the lowest quintile.

Old 07-14-2015, 12:18 PM

1,793 posts, read 1,442,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Barbara View Post
Yes. In fact virtually all of the recent declines in US fertility rates have come from our minority populations. The rate for white folks has been more or less flat for a good while.
Is there a good birthrate that everyone can agree on? What might it be? Who/How does it get enforced?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics