Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 12:03 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,237,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
I haven't touched on it, because it isn't something I believe or care about.

That's odd, our entire debate was based on that. Ok then, I guess we're done.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2015, 02:14 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,380,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Barbara View Post
You can say it, but there's nothing of any substance standing behind it. Another analyst would not necessarily reach any such result. Visions of sugar plums are not science of any sort.

Plainly put once again, there is no means for seeing anything more than a few months into the future. All the rest is conditional wishful thinking.
Theres nothing of substance behind self driving cars?

Uhmmm.....suuuurrrreeee

Well other then 3 separate major companies all having self driving cars on the roads today.

Old 08-18-2015, 09:59 PM

5,668 posts, read 6,597,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
That's odd, our entire debate was based on that.
When did I mention robots "taking over humans"? I said they will eventually make most humans unemployable and that our society will change drastically because of it.

Old 08-18-2015, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Barbara View Post
Not any more ridiculous than belief that "certain people" have an innate ability to divine the future decades and even centuries in advance.
It's true that assuming that the near future will be about like the past is the safest bet for people with little understanding of technology and how society functions. For those who do you don't need a crystal ball to see major changes ahead.

Does anyone know exactly how it will shake out? Of course not. But it's fun to speculate on outcomes and the factors that lead to one vs another. I was hoping that more people would join in the discussion who have the knowledge and mental dexterity to add to this in a coherent way.

Old 08-20-2015, 10:07 AM

Quote:
When did I mention robots "taking over humans"? I said they will eventually make most humans unemployable and that our society will change drastically because of it.

"Taking over humans" = "taking over humans' jobs"!!!

And no, you still haven't explain how it can be accomplished in robotic terms, not even at a high level. But I'm sure you will once again explain it away by saying, "That's how humans did it. That'll be how robots do it." While ignoring that humans and robots are not at all similar.

Old 08-20-2015, 10:59 AM

Quote:
And no, you still haven't explain how it can be accomplished in robotic terms, not even at a high level.
You don't understand how code can be written that will modify code based on trial and error and feedback? Is that it?

Old 08-20-2015, 02:15 PM

Quote:
You don't understand how code can be written that will modify code based on trial and error and feedback? Is that it?
I've already explained how it doesn't lead to robots replacing humans. Software will never replace most of human workers, I've already explained that too.

At best, software written code will reduce the development time of human developers and allows them to focus on maintenance, new innovation, and new platforms.

Old 08-20-2015, 04:52 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,771,138 times
One job that is growing in the future, that starts about $65,000 a year, is robotic technician. That job is the people that keep the robots running in automated factories.

They say they need 65,000 of them in the next 5 years, and they have to be trained. One company Toyota is running a training program along with a college for 2 year program. Get paid nearly twice minimum wage to start, to to college 2 days a week, and spend 3 days a week at Toyota putting into practice what you are learning paid for all 5 days. And students can come out at the end of 2 years, with no education debt. Jobs are begging for the graduates, including Toyota.

That is an example of the new type jobs. New technologies such as Robotic Factorys, require high paid people to keep them running.

A lot of college graduates are coming out of school with huge debt, and still can only start in their field for $35,000 a year. Or go to school for half the time, have no school debt, and start at nearly twice what the college graduate may have to take to start. They certainly are going to make a lot more money than the college graduates taking degrees that are proving to be worthless in finding a job, and having to go to work for Starbucks or flipping burgers.

http://www.al.com/business/index.ssf..._to_put_d.html

Old 08-20-2015, 05:15 PM

Quote:
I've already explained how it doesn't lead to robots replacing humans. Software will never replace most of human workers, I've already explained that too.

At best, software written code will reduce the development time of human developers and allows them to focus on maintenance, new innovation, and new platforms.
What EXACTLY do you believe is "magical" about a human brain that can't be reproduced?

Do you even comprehend that we have self learning software?

I bet you believe a computer could never be good at jeopardy either?

Old 08-20-2015, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
One job that is growing in the future, that starts about $65,000 a year, is robotic technician. That job is the people that keep the robots running in automated factories.

They say they need 65,000 of them in the next 5 years, and they have to be trained. One company Toyota is running a training program along with a college for 2 year program. Get paid nearly twice minimum wage to start, to to college 2 days a week, and spend 3 days a week at Toyota putting into practice what you are learning paid for all 5 days. And students can come out at the end of 2 years, with no education debt. Jobs are begging for the graduates, including Toyota.

That is an example of the new type jobs. New technologies such as Robotic Factorys, require high paid people to keep them running.

A lot of college graduates are coming out of school with huge debt, and still can only start in their field for $35,000 a year. Or go to school for half the time, have no school debt, and start at nearly twice what the college graduate may have to take to start. They certainly are going to make a lot more money than the college graduates taking degrees that are proving to be worthless in finding a job, and having to go to work for Starbucks or flipping burgers.

Want a job in auto manufacturing, plus a degree, with no student debt? Check out this program at Calhoun | AL.com
oh wow! a whole....65,000 a year.!

And a decade later...all those jobs will be gone. The more I see this kind of response, the more I comprehend why people make this mistaken assumption. And I can at least respect the response as it does make sense if you aren't really deep into this sort of thing.

You are right-there WILL be new jobs. But they will be a tiny fraction. those 65,000 people? Will be replacing millions. And a decade later those 65,000 people will join them as automation comes up that can maintain itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics