Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 02:32 PM

5,668 posts, read 6,597,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
There are many reasons why even if this society is possible, it will soon collapse and is nothing but a blip in history.
Thanks for demonstrating again why I should ignore you.

But I'd still like you to show where you got the assertion that Musk and Hawking and Gates have been sounding the alarm about something in the far future. If not, then I will also add "just making stuff up" to the list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 02:35 PM

5,668 posts, read 6,597,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
As far back as the 50s, some people were complaining that people were going to be replaced by machines, and there would not be jobs.
Even if you meant the 1850's you'd be late.

Consumer capitalism and communism saved the day back then, but only the former survived. It will soon be defunct.

Old 09-06-2015, 10:42 AM

105 posts, read 113,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
Even if you meant the 1850's you'd be late.

Consumer capitalism and communism saved the day back then, but only the former survived. It will soon be defunct.
Everyone loves communism! Who wouldn't like to be ruled by a ruthless sociopathic dictator like Stalin, Castro, Zedong, Mihn, or Pol pot? I also would love to wait in food lines for hours!

Old 09-08-2015, 06:18 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,237,274 times
Quote:
Thanks for demonstrating again why I should ignore you.
You should ignore me because I keep debunking your "automation economy".

Like below:

Quote:
Production will be according to the desires and benefit of the 100M or so that are left. They will live in incredible high-tech luxury on a garden planet. Life will be great for them, with the great wild card (as always) of power struggles and war, which could really mess things up.
Why is automation even needed when only 100M people are consuming??? Your economy defeats the purpose of using automation in the first place. This is what I mean by - even if this biazarro economy does exist, it cannot possibly last. But it is almost impossible to be in existence in the first place because it makes no sense - there is no possible way that the 100M oligarchs are going to consume the same amount as 7 billions people. With consumption way down, production goes down along with it, and automation becomes exponentially more expensive and eventually uneconomical.

You also failed to answer the question - How does the 99%ers who are unemployed going to make money to be constantly entertaining themselves? I honestly cannot come up with one single plausible scenario unless we are talking about the largest social welfare in the history of mankind.

Quote:
But I'd still like you to show where you got the assertion that Musk and Hawking and Gates have been sounding the alarm about something in the far future. If not, then I will also add "just making stuff up" to the list.
The one who is saying this won't happen until in the far future (if at all) is me.

What I did say is that it doesn't appear Musk and Hawking (where does Gates fit in on this? You never brought him in until now) are predicting the type of aggressive timeline that you're preaching, based on they've said. In fact, it is not clear that Musk is even referring to AI replacing humans at all. At least he didn't say so.

I do find it ironic that you, of all people, are accusing me of "making stuff up". If you are not aware, this entire thread is ALL about this "stuff that you've made up".

Last edited by beb0p; 09-08-2015 at 06:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics