Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2015, 07:27 PM

109 posts, read 350,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
Not so long ago, I worked 3 jobs. So what? More recently, when I worked overnights, at 2 am we'd sometimes do a McDonald's run because it is now open 24 hours. You know who served us? A 45 year old woman who I came to know as a single mother. Also, there was a 50-ish year old guy frequently manning the drive through. It was his second job. 16 and 17 year olds cannot work overnights. When I worked in retail (human resources) we had to be very careful not to schedule them after 10 or 1030 (I forget which).

A lot's changed since "many years ago."

And yes, FDR's vision of a "living wage" was enough to pay bills. $7.75 isn't even enough to pay an average rent now. When I graduated high school and worked 2 jobs in the 80s, I moved out, had a vehicle, paid rent on a cracker box apartment, and had a very small amount of spending money on 2 minimum wage jobs with no roomates. There's no way in H I could do that if I graduated high school and worked 3 jobs today.

It Was Always Supposed To Be A Living Wage - The Billfold

http://takingnote.blogs.nytimes.com/...mum-wage/?_r=0
So just because an older woman and man can only find work at McDonald's, they deserve 15/hr? This makes no ****ign sense and not one person is ever able to account for how to change the rate of pay of those, with degrees, who are currently making 15/hr or very close. So they almost get their pay doubled? Great, the price of everything will, too. Or should the guy with a college degree being on the same playing field as the 7th grade drop out who cannot read or write with pen and paper?

Old 11-25-2015, 08:38 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,168,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike6623 View Post
So just because an older woman and man can only find work at McDonald's, they deserve 15/hr? This makes no ****ign sense and not one person is ever able to account for how to change the rate of pay of those, with degrees, who are currently making 15/hr or very close. So they almost get their pay doubled? Great, the price of everything will, too. Or should the guy with a college degree being on the same playing field as the 7th grade drop out who cannot read or write with pen and paper?
Once upon a time, when the minimum wage was raised, everyone else's was too, so you're right. It makes no ****ing sense that wage raises for too many jobs have all but stalled yet, the cost of living continues to skyrocket. High food prices? Oh that's because gas is so expensive. Have you ever noticed that now that gas prices aren't so expensive, the food prices are still high?

A trip to town on any given day (or night for that matter now that some are open 24 hours a day) past any of the 4 or so McDonalds in my Podunk city alone tells me that judging by the parking lot and drive through, as well as the money I see people shelling out for fast-food the few times I've gone there in the last month, McDonalds can well afford to pay their employees more than the $7.75 an hour most typically get. Their stockholders may have to take a slight cut in pay though. And with better pay comes better retention, so the return in productivity is worth it.

Old 11-25-2015, 09:21 PM

10,755 posts, read 5,672,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
Once upon a time, when the minimum wage was raised, everyone else's was too, so you're right. It makes no ****ing sense that wage raises for too many jobs have all but stalled yet, the cost of living continues to skyrocket. High food prices? Oh that's because gas is so expensive. Have you ever noticed that now that gas prices aren't so expensive, the food prices are still high?

A trip to town on any given day (or night for that matter now that some are open 24 hours a day) past any of the 4 or so McDonalds in my Podunk city alone tells me that judging by the parking lot and drive through, as well as the money I see people shelling out for fast-food the few times I've gone there in the last month, McDonalds can well afford to pay their employees more than the $7.75 an hour most typically get. Their stockholders may have to take a slight cut in pay though. And with better pay comes better retention, so the return in productivity is worth it.
Being able to pay more isn't the point. If the job is only worth $7.50, there is no reason to pay $10. Or $15.

Old 11-26-2015, 01:26 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,274,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Being able to pay more isn't the point. If the job is only worth $7.50, there is no reason to pay $10. Or $15.
There is no way to figure out what a job is "worth." There is no statistic or chart or study done that shows what every job is worth. Employers say this as an excuse so they can pay as little as they want. If this is true why do two jobs that have the person do the same thing but have different starting pay? It is whatever the subjective idea the employer has that determines pay.

Old 11-26-2015, 01:31 PM

I do agree with Op though $15 is to much What needs to be done is slowly increases up to $11-12 and then see if it needs to be adjusted from there.

Old 11-26-2015, 02:10 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,118,333 times
We need to raise the federal minimum to reflect inflation. However the minimum wage in Mississippi shouldn't be as high as Washington state, as states should decide what is best based on their own col.

Old 11-26-2015, 03:43 PM

10,068 posts, read 7,239,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
There is no way to figure out what a job is "worth." There is no statistic or chart or study done that shows what every job is worth. Employers say this as an excuse so they can pay as little as they want. If this is true why do two jobs that have the person do the same thing but have different starting pay? It is whatever the subjective idea the employer has that determines pay.
I agree, if jobs were "worth" set amounts then no one would ever be able to argue for a raise, etc... The manager would just say, "Sorry, your job is worth X amount and that's it, here's the proof."

Old 11-26-2015, 03:50 PM

4,254 posts, read 3,175,378 times
Quote:
Absolutely there is a way to determine what a job is worth. Let the market decide! The right number is what ever will attact someone to perform the job. Obviously if the pay offered is too low, nobody would do the job. For example: I live in an area where the economy is going reasonably well. My granddaughter just got a job at McDonalds a few weeks back. She is being paid more than minimum wage because we have a competitive environment for this type of labor. The higher rate was necessary to obtain and retain workers.

Old 11-26-2015, 05:33 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times
Quote:
There is no way to figure out what a job is "worth." There is no statistic or chart or study done that shows what every job is worth.
Sure there is.

If you need to hire a burger flipper and you know most burger flippers in your area make $8/hour, then you post the job for $8/hour. If an applicant agrees to do the work for $8/hour, then that is what the job is worth.

Quote:
As an employer you Employers say this as an excuse so they can pay as little as they want. If this is true why do two jobs that have the person do the same thing but have different starting pay? It is whatever the subjective idea the employer has that determines pay.
Of course! If I was a business owner why wouldn't I want to pay as little as I can for any given expense category, be it labor, hamburger buns, rent, or insurance. If I pay more for business expenses than I need to I'm at a competitive disadvantage to other business owners who don't.

Old 11-26-2015, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Sure there is.

If you need to hire a burger flipper and you know most burger flippers in your area make $8/hour, then you post the job for $8/hour. If an applicant agrees to do the work for $8/hour, then that is what the job is worth.

Of course! If I was a business owner why wouldn't I want to pay as little as I can for any given expense category, be it labor, hamburger buns, rent, or insurance. If I pay more for business expenses than I need to I'm at a competitive disadvantage to other business owners who don't.
Just because some are payed that much does not make it the worth. What if they all pay a different amount? You really think businesses get together and decide what a job is worth? Just because someone agrees to a to paid a certain amount does not mean that is what the job is worth is just what the employer wants to pay.Why would you want to pay more for labor maybe because you get more loyalty, employers who want to work hard for you, not having to pay more for training, more people with more money in their hands to spend. I hope you are not a business owner because you have no idea how businesses work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics