Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2016, 08:50 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times

Advertisements

It seems to me, in my travels, that places where there are high-paying jobs always have a higher COL, and that low COL areas mostly have lower paying jobs.

I have friends and relatives who earn extremely high salaries, in each case they live and work in cities with very expensive homes, high taxes and high COL.

In my retirement, we settled in a low COL area. In our town the per-capita income is $10k. There are nearby towns where per-capita incomes are as low as $8k/year. My pension is really close to the current Minimum-Wage, and yet our household income puts us in the upper 40% income households in our town / area. You may consider me 'low income', but it does not feel poor when we live in a community that has such a low COL.

If the Minimum-Wage doubles, I am concerned about the effect on the COL.

If the Minimum-Wage goes up my pension will not change, everyone's pensions and SS will remain the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 08:14 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
It seems to me, in my travels, that places where there are high-paying jobs always have a higher COL, and that low COL areas mostly have lower paying jobs.

I have friends and relatives who earn extremely high salaries, in each case they live and work in cities with very expensive homes, high taxes and high COL.

In my retirement, we settled in a low COL area. In our town the per-capita income is $10k. There are nearby towns where per-capita incomes are as low as $8k/year. My pension is really close to the current Minimum-Wage, and yet our household income puts us in the upper 40% income households in our town / area. You may consider me 'low income', but it does not feel poor when we live in a community that has such a low COL.

If the Minimum-Wage goes up my pension will not change, everyone's pensions and SS will remain the same.
You are right about cost of living and good jobs. Where I live now the median family income is $152,000. What would usually be minimum wage workers at the few businesses here are driving or taking the bus in from other areas. In order to attract them these places like (Taco Bell and McDonalds) are starting at $13/hour. The free market is working as it should. When we retire in 4-6 years, we will definitely be moving to a lower cost area, where our pensions, SS and other investments will go farther, and we can get out of the current $7,000/year property tax bill. Like you, our income will not go up with a minimum wage increase, our only way to increase it is to work more years or get a significant raise very soon.

Old 06-08-2016, 09:47 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,766,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post

I wonder, too. For example, would rents skyrocket all of a sudden? Since chances are MW workers don't own homes (and not sure they could on $15.00 an hour), I think landlords everywhere would really gouge rentals.

Old 06-09-2016, 06:37 AM

10,761 posts, read 5,676,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
I wonder, too. For example, would rents skyrocket all of a sudden? Since chances are MW workers don't own homes (and not sure they could on $15.00 an hour), I think landlords everywhere would really gouge rentals.

What is this gouging you speak of?

Old 06-09-2016, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
If your city / state does not have rent-control, then rents will certainly go up 10% / year, to level out at twice the current rent levels.

I spent about 27 years as landlord with apartment buildings, in various states.

My grandparents taught me that if you never raise the rent you get loyal renters. But coming out of the Great Depression they had a different ethic.

In all of my time in dealing with renters and rubbing elbows with other landlords, it is pretty much the accepted norm to bump rent every year. Many landlords will raise the rent a bit every year until the tenant leaves. Then drop it again for the next tenant. In each city rent levels float like that. Depending on the tenant's income a tenant will be squeezed by increasing rent, until the point where they search for a different apartment. Rent levels will go up and down within a specific building. Rent levels within a community will find an average according to the average wages in that community.

Old 06-09-2016, 08:06 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
In our area rent has been going up much more than 10%, in fact some cases over 100%, though the average is 45% increase over 2010 rents. Landlords charge what they can get, and with so many people looking for rentals and not enough to go around it's the landlord's opportunity to make money. a minimum wage of $15 won't make much difference, even at $15 those workers cannot afford to rent here without roommates. If it causes higher pay workers to get increases to maintain their distance from minimum wage, it would probably drive rent up even more.

Old 06-09-2016, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
In our area rent has been going up much more than 10%, in fact some cases over 100%, though the average is 45% increase over 2010 rents.
2010 to 2016 is six years. If each apartment's rent went up 10% / year, every year. and after 4 years the tenant left so the rent was dropped 20% at that point. You would be very near to 45% in 5 or 6 years.

Quote:
... Landlords charge what they can get, and with so many people looking for rentals and not enough to go around it's the landlord's opportunity to make money
I agree.

Quote:
... a minimum wage of $15 won't make much difference, even at $15 those workers cannot afford to rent here without roommates. If it causes higher pay workers to get increases to maintain their distance from minimum wage, it would probably drive rent up even more.
With higher wages tenants can afford higher rent.

Raising wages raises rent.

The circle goes round and round.

Old 06-11-2016, 06:53 PM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,266,879 times
I agree that the biggest beneficiaries of a $15/hour minimum wage may be landlords. Initially C&D properties but it will percolate rent prices up to the higher levels too.

One reason is it may allow those that are living at home or sharing households to get their own apartment squeezing already low vacancy markets . Additionally, It will allow some latitude by the landlords to raise the rents without the tenant leaving, perhaps to move back home or into a shared household.

Whenever money is given to the bottom of the working class, it always leaves their hands just as fast. The nice way to say it is; it goes back into the economy. The only question is, who is going to get it. Landlords won't be the only ones.

The ones that will get hurt the most will likely be the middle class as their salaries may not rise but all the products they buy and rent do

Old 06-28-2016, 10:17 PM

1,193 posts, read 1,026,129 times
$15 does not make sense since it will lead to less hours and less hiring.

Old 06-28-2016, 10:58 PM

341 posts, read 412,675 times
Dear Striking Fast-Food Workers: Meet The Machine That Just Put You Out Of A Job | Zero Hedge
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics