Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2016, 01:05 PM

547 posts, read 507,756 times

Advertisements

10% flat tax
Stop punishing people who worked their way up the ladder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 01:23 PM

26,196 posts, read 21,648,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane harry View Post
10% flat tax

So raise taxes on the low end and lower them on the high end? That's awesome. I will enjoy my effective rate dropping from 13-14% down to 10% and then I may simply stop contributing 36k annually to my wife and I's 401k and switch it instead to Roth 401k

Although I'm not sure this is the best plan

Old 01-06-2016, 01:26 PM

8,432 posts, read 7,446,811 times
Quote:
10% flat tax
No taxes at all.

Quit punishing everybody.

So what if we descend into anarchy.

Old 01-06-2016, 03:38 PM

547 posts, read 507,756 times
Nope, everybody pays the same percentage. Make more, pay more, can't you people do simple arithmetic?

Old 01-06-2016, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Nope, everybody pays the same percentage. Make more, pay more, can't you people do simple arithmetic?
I can do math better than most and it's clear to me a flat 10% tax would increase burden on the lower end and decrease them on the higher end

Old 01-06-2016, 03:53 PM

10,788 posts, read 5,718,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I can do math better than most and it's clear to me a flat 10% tax would increase burden on the lower end and decrease them on the higher end
Why do you see both of those as bad things?

Old 01-06-2016, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Why do you see both of those as bad things?

Well raising taxes on folks with effective rates currently under 10% when they have very limited income isn't realistic and something I believe would be overly burdensome to that group. More over paring the two raising on the lower end and lowering on te higher end doesn't make much sense to me.

If you would like to construct a revenue projection and due to it's shortfall where you are cutting spending id be interested in seeing how the fairy tale concept works out

Old 01-06-2016, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Well raising taxes on folks with effective rates currently under 10% when they have very limited income isn't realistic and something I believe would be overly burdensome to that group. More over paring the two raising on the lower end and lowering on te higher end doesn't make much sense to me.

If you would like to construct a revenue projection and due to it's shortfall where you are cutting spending id be interested in seeing how the fairy tale concept works out
I don't think it would work, and it would be political suicide for any politician to try to champion such an idea. However, understanding how the tax burden is shared in this country is what drove my comment. When those that live a rather lavish welfare lifestyle, funded by me and others like me, accuse us of not paying our "fair share" and being "greedy," well, I admit that wanting them to have bit more skin in the game is an appealing idea.

Old 01-06-2016, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
I don't think it would work, and it would be political suicide for any politician to try to champion such an idea. However, understanding how the tax burden is shared in this country is what drove my comment. When those that live a rather lavish welfare lifestyle, funded by me and others like me, accuse us of not paying our "fair share" and being "greedy," well, I admit that wanting them to have bit more skin in the game is an appealing idea.

Explain this to me because it doesn't seem very logical to me

And so someone calls you a name your best idea is to call them one back? Is it anyone that thinks you should pay more or only those who you perceive to live a "lavish welfare lifestyle" that you have issue with?

Old 01-06-2016, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Explain this to me because it doesn't seem very logical to me

And so someone calls you a name your best idea is to call them one back? Is it anyone that thinks you should pay more or only those who you perceive to live a "lavish welfare lifestyle" that you have issue with?
If you are familiar with who is actually paying the taxes in this country, my comment should make perfect sense. Vilifying the rich is a common activity by the welfare class and the politicians that pander to them. I'm sure that you understand that but you appear to be acting deliberately obtuse.

Who did I call a name?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics