Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2016, 06:47 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,226,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:

Quote: Originally Posted by J.Thomas
I'm bearish on China's short to mid term outlook.
Quote: Originally Posted by lieqiang
Not that you actually invest.
That's funny right there. I'm bearish on pork but haven't eaten any since the 80s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2016, 06:58 AM

106,707 posts, read 108,913,061 times
bacon is the best .

Old 04-01-2016, 07:03 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,275,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
That's funny right there. I'm bearish on pork but haven't eaten any since the 80s.
Boneless spare ribs with extra MSG, please.

The Economist had an article about pork in China a couple of years ago. They consume 500 million pigs per year. Half of the world consumption. In Mandarin, "pork" and "meat" are the same word. 25 years ago, there was very little meat in the Chinese diet. These days, every year is "the year of the pig".

Old 04-01-2016, 07:11 AM

106,707 posts, read 108,913,061 times
they don't seem to need any veterinarian's there either .

LET US WOK YOUR DOG ha ha ha

Old 04-01-2016, 12:04 PM

3,792 posts, read 2,386,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Well I'm sure you've got some personal pet definition for "better off" that you're leaning on here, but back to the thread at hand no wages in China aren't anywhere near what they are in the United States so J.Thomas is (as usual) spewing nonsense.
They are generating jobs for their kids to do so they are better off than we are. Money isn't everything. Having a future for your kids is of value as well. Wages change and can quite quickly.

Old 04-01-2016, 01:31 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,121,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContrarianEcon View Post
They are generating jobs for their kids to do so they are better off than we are. Money isn't everything. Having a future for your kids is of value as well. Wages change and can quite quickly.
Huh?

You should actually visit China and see how many years it takes off your life expectancy, speaking of future.

Old 04-01-2016, 04:20 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,929,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
so I can find out yet again that there is no research funding, because people like you refuse to chip in?
That's right. I will continue to refuse to allow the government to dictate what they think I should do with my money (or refuse to support such idiocy at least). I earned my money and I should do what I think is appropriate with it. What moral claim do you have that would send an agency of force (the government) to take of my substance to alleviate your real and/or perceived problem? Slavery ended in this country a long time ago. That's what you're advocating, a return to it: that I should work to provide for you. If you think that's selfish, so be it. I for one do not need a government entity to dictate morals to me nor do I need to defend my own morals before others when it's none of their d--- business.

Old 04-01-2016, 04:54 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,580,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContrarianEcon View Post
Actually China has had a huge discrepancy between GDP and job growth, every year they have millions of extra college graduates who face starting wages that are often lower than illiterate people working in factories. Their economy focuses on industrial production yet productivity increases have stalled job growth in that sector as well.

Wages change quickly and are rising rapidly in China, but the wages and lifestyle of their working class is nowhere near what Americans enjoy and opportunities for young Americans are far greater than in China and most Chinese would give anything to be able to come to the United States to get an education and start a career.

Old 04-01-2016, 05:51 PM

3,792 posts, read 2,386,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Actually China has had a huge discrepancy between GDP and job growth, every year they have millions of extra college graduates who face starting wages that are often lower than illiterate people working in factories. Their economy focuses on industrial production yet productivity increases have stalled job growth in that sector as well.

Wages change quickly and are rising rapidly in China, but the wages and lifestyle of their working class is nowhere near what Americans enjoy and opportunities for young Americans are far greater than in China and most Chinese would give anything to be able to come to the United States to get an education and start a career.
No doubt, we are rich in America, and a lot of people want that wealth. Ten years ago or more when my friend went to China to help with the preparations for their Olympics he said that 100million were participating in their economy like Americans do. That fraction has grown rapidly over the intervening time. A job there wont get what a job here will get and there is far more competition for a job there than there is here, but, they understand and feel a responsibility to provide work for their population that is lacking here. They are reshaping their economy. Growth.

If you have ambition and drive America has opportunity. We do about 1/5th of everything that happens in the world's economy on a dollar value basis. Or did recently. Jobs have been flat for the past 15 years in America. But our population has grown and we've let more people in. Jobs are growing faster than population in China, population growing faster than jobs in the US. That puts downwards pressure on wages here and upwards pressure on wages there.

Old 04-01-2016, 07:21 PM

151 posts, read 195,395 times
the middle class are being led over the cliff by the people they vote for.

the politicians aim is for DOWNward mobility. they give you food stamps as a reward n forever you need to kiss their azz.

WAKE-UP middle class. YOU are voting for yr own demise. I thought only inner city ghetto people did this, but I ADMIT i was wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics