Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 04:24 AM

139 posts, read 193,128 times

Advertisements

Millionaires and billionaires have this evil stigma because many of them run very big corporations that have lots of influence which they abuse (By the way when you say millionaire I am guessing that you mean an individual who is worth 30 million+).

For example GE use to own NBC were they use to encourage war. GE makes military equipment and weapons so you can see they are profiting from war. Also corporations pay lots of tax right? Well not GE, they get taxed really lightly versus middle class citizens who get taxed much harshly with respect to income/revenue.

Another example is the recent economic crisis of 2007 were the banks almost died. Many of the big financial guys used lobbying to remove a policy that regulated or limited types of investments to insure money was safe. Well look were they went. Also these banks received a nice bailout too.

Also when it comes for the federal government needing money they do not tax these big corporations more, they take out benefits that the middle class gets like Social Security. Also keep in mind that big corporations help fund presidents campaigns.

If your referring to the lower spectrum of millionaire (those of net worth of 1 million - 3 million) these guys are like nobodies. When people say millionaires I assume they are talking about high net worth people, not someone who works at a professional office, white collar job, or operates a small business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2016, 06:07 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,211,328 times
For the record, there are some evil poor folks out there.

Old 03-23-2016, 06:41 AM

106,578 posts, read 108,713,667 times
money isn't at the root of most evil , lack of money is

Old 03-23-2016, 07:17 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,572,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
Why does everyone here think being a millionaire makes you part of the "Evil Rich"** <-real title.
Everyone here seems to think its 1964 still where 1 million dollars in net worth makes you a jet setting ultra-wealthy person who drives a Cadillac Coupe Deville, owns a coach wallet, gold watch, lives in a 5 bedroom estate on Star Island in Miami and has vacation homes on the SF Peninsula and a New York City Penthouse..
Well, sometimes the culturally ingrained connotations of a word (e.g.
"millionaire"), which transfer from one person to the next via the subconscious, do not...adjust for inflation.

Old 03-23-2016, 08:24 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
"My name is Elmer J Fudd, millionaire. I own a mansion and a yacht."

In 2016, you have to slide the decimal point over two places. $1 million net worth is a pretty modest house and boat.

Old 03-23-2016, 09:04 AM

19,605 posts, read 12,206,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plot View Post
Millionaires and billionaires have this evil stigma because many of them run very big corporations that have lots of influence which they abuse (By the way when you say millionaire I am guessing that you mean an individual who is worth 30 million+).

For example GE use to own NBC were they use to encourage war. GE makes military equipment and weapons so you can see they are profiting from war. Also corporations pay lots of tax right? Well not GE, they get taxed really lightly versus middle class citizens who get taxed much harshly with respect to income/revenue.

Another example is the recent economic crisis of 2007 were the banks almost died. Many of the big financial guys used lobbying to remove a policy that regulated or limited types of investments to insure money was safe. Well look were they went. Also these banks received a nice bailout too.

Also when it comes for the federal government needing money they do not tax these big corporations more, they take out benefits that the middle class gets like Social Security. Also keep in mind that big corporations help fund presidents campaigns.

If your referring to the lower spectrum of millionaire (those of net worth of 1 million - 3 million) these guys are like nobodies. When people say millionaires I assume they are talking about high net worth people, not someone who works at a professional office, white collar job, or operates a small business.
They are talking about anyone who has more money or success than they do. Those minor millionaires are not nobodies when it comes to taxation and how many are salivating to get at most of it.

Sometimes people get rich just by being frugal and making wise investment choices. Even that is demonized, and now wealth is looked upon as something that must be ill gotten, and undeserved.

Anyone with wealth gets swept up in this, as so many people just don't know or care about financial planning or sound practices to secure their own, so they have to go after others. It starts with talk of large corporations and billionaires and ends up in the wallet of those who simply want to earn a decent life and possibly pass that on to their family.

Old 03-23-2016, 09:13 AM

455 posts, read 388,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
I don't think having twenty million makes you part of the evil rich either. There are good rich people and good poor people, evil rich people and evil poor people.

People who talk about evil rich are usually either bleeding envy through their pores or trying to convince themselves that their lack of success/accomplishment is someone else's fault.
So true, very well stated.

Let's not forget those being dismissive about someone's wealth or belongings. I can't tell you how many times people have said out loud to me that I got this or that because of "daddy". News flash, my dad was a sheet metal worker with barely a high school diploma, I have worked my arse off since before I was even a teen to live a comfortable life now. I picked berries in the field and washed dishes and toilets but always looking forward.

People keep whining, "why don't I have that?" When they should be saying "what do I have to do to get that?"

Sadly, I think we're always going to have the "have's" and the "have not's"

Old 03-23-2016, 09:25 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,013,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
They are talking about anyone who has more money or success than they do. Those minor millionaires are not nobodies when it comes to taxation and how many are salivating to get at most of it.

Sometimes people get rich just by being frugal and making wise investment choices. Even that is demonized, and now wealth is looked upon as something that must be ill gotten, and undeserved.

Anyone with wealth gets swept up in this, as so many people just don't know or care about financial planning or sound practices to secure their own, so they have to go after others. It starts with talk of large corporations and billionaires and ends up in the wallet of those who simply want to earn a decent life and possibly pass that on to their family.
Few Knew She Was Wealthy--Until She Left $98 Million - latimes

These kinds of people, while a rarity, are out there.

Old 03-23-2016, 09:48 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,787,488 times
Quote:
Gasp! But "mah evil 1% percentar!"

So one size fits all and everyone who is rich is evil?

Old 03-23-2016, 09:50 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,791,339 times
Quote:
Why does everyone here think being a millionaire makes you part of the "Evil Rich"** <-real title.
Everyone here seems to think its 1964 still where 1 million dollars in net worth makes you a jet setting ultra-wealthy person who drives a Cadillac Coupe Deville, owns a coach wallet, gold watch, lives in a 5 bedroom estate on Star Island in Miami and has vacation homes on the SF Peninsula and a New York City Penthouse..
Now anyone can have a coach wallet.

Appearance of wealth without the work.

Progress?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics