Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 05:33 PM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times

Advertisements

Like i say i have no knowledge of what goes on internally in other company's. As outsiders what we see and think is usually not the whole story as we only reason with what we know but never consider the side of things we don't know.

I know what outsiders said when we switched to overseas manufacturing. What they thought in their limited knowledge was way off base.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2016, 12:07 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,677,849 times
I can think of many things here in America that could qualify us as a nation with many problems, but a nation in "crisis"? We will most likely see the "state of the nation" as a reflection of our position, as opposed to others, that seems to be the way of human natural behavior. But, our banking laws, our recent trade agreements, our education system, our social problems, together these problematic institutions constitute very real concerns, and potentially anyone of them could bring us to a level of crisis that could be harmful to all. We've survived some earlier crisis's, economic downturns, wars, natural disasters, so I don't see the fact of a national crisis as a reason for hand wringing, but the real lasting crisis would be to deny the fact of our problems.

Some here are very well off, some are doing OK, a lot are hanging in there, and a lot more are headed for disaster, a descending order of well being seems to be our lasting legacy from the heydays of post world war ll. We've got a lot to celebrate, and we've also got some very real deep problems. Reading here from time to time, I get the impression that some are willing to engage in the celebration whilst denying the complexity and depth of our problems, others seem to be fixated on our problems, and forgetting to celebrate our positives. On a side note: Anecdotal evidence of a boundless prosperity---or the offering of our negatives as proof of our failure should be dismissed for the reason of their obvious bias..

We are heading into an election, and it doesn't look good, bellicose, belligerent types seem to be holding sway over the anger that has risen to a fever pitch among the disenchanted from both ends of the American political spectrum. Crisis? No, but the fact of that anger, and the politicians attempting to exploit the angry could quickly become a prelude to crisis. I've seen some improvement in my own backyard and I celebrate that, but my city is also coping with a huge homeless population, drug crime, poor schools, lack of policing, and a rise in housing cost that is only bringing more problems for those just starting out and those who are barely hanging on. I'm reminded of JFK's words that relate to a need for less selfishness coupled with a strong desire to contribute to America, as well as ourselves.

Old 07-12-2016, 11:39 AM

339 posts, read 976,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hans2015 View Post
hi! folks this is Juan, i am an electrical engineer and let me tell you since my icons are Edison, Nikola Tesla, Westinghouse. I always wanted to live and work in my dream country, America. But i feel that this crisis that started in 2014 is worse than from 2008, i feel my chance of realizing myself as a profession of the engineering are vanishing.

Am i right? Are there an economic crisis of a huge dimension? Moderator cut: .
Please folks, if some americans are reading this, could you tell me the dimension of the crisis??

thank you
You have not responded to the replies yet, so I don't know if this is a "real" post.
Nothing happened in 2014. The market for Engineers has not been this good since the early 2000's. At least in my geographic area. We are having a hard time finding experienced engineers.
What crisis did you heard about that started in 2014?

Old 07-13-2016, 12:09 AM

2,914 posts, read 2,689,002 times
For ever analyst predicting a depression you'll find someone predicting good times ahead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics