Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 02:19 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,035,273 times

Advertisements

Why are so many people angry that low income people receive assistance? And I am referring to a single mom that works full time, not someone sitting around doing nothing all day.

Have we become so selfish as a society, that we would rather have children go without medical care or food, just so insurance premiums or taxes could be lower?

This has started because a friend is very upset her insurance premium increased. She thinks she should only have to support herself and not any one else. why not blame insurance companies for raising premiums? Why are the premiums so expensive for health insurance? Why have we not come up with a more fair universal system, that allows everyone to have insurance?

But why attack the single mom who is already struggling to even provide housing, transportation, heat and food?

I have been on both sides and paid an insane amount of taxes when I was married. Life has a way of making you humble in surprising ways.

Old 11-15-2016, 02:30 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,249,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Why are so many people angry that low income people receive assistance? And I am referring to a single mom that works full time, not someone sitting around doing nothing all day.

Have we become so selfish as a society, that we would rather have children go without medical care or food, just so insurance premiums or taxes could be lower?

This has started because a friend is very upset her insurance premium increased. She thinks she should only have to support herself and not any one else. why not blame insurance companies for raising premiums? Why are the premiums so expensive for health insurance? Why have we not come up with a more fair universal system, that allows everyone to have insurance?

But why attack the single mom who is already struggling to even provide housing, transportation, heat and food?

I have been on both sides and paid an insane amount of taxes when I was married. Life has a way of making you humble in surprising ways.

If only everyone were like your friend. Good for her for working hard & supporting herself.

Old 11-15-2016, 02:46 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
Allow me to say what those who read the OP probably thought:
No kudos here.

And your "friend" thinks she shouldn't have to pay for anyone else? Sounds reasonable to me. We pay for the indigent, and that's what we should be doing. However, it is no one's responsibility to continue to support those who have kid after kid when they can't afford them. The rest of us budget; so can they. I don't know about your "friend," but many of today's "single moms" [insert obligatory applause here] didn't find themselves in that situation, they chose it.

The surest route to poverty is illegitimacy.

Old 11-15-2016, 02:47 PM

416 posts, read 630,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
If only everyone were like your friend. Good for her for working hard & supporting herself.
She's a parasite, unless she's living alone on an undeveloped piece of land she's managed to defend on her own in a handmade tent, gathering and hunting for all her own things and survival, she needs to pay for the luxury this society has afforded her, and that means supporting one another when things go bad. Being self centered is poison to societies. If everyone were like her we'd all be at each others throats, only out for ourselves.

Old 11-15-2016, 03:27 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
I think it mostly stems from the thought that far too many on assistance don't actively try to get off said assistance true or not

Old 11-15-2016, 03:30 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,637,791 times
You can't please everyone, so don't let her bother you.

Old 11-15-2016, 03:32 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,637,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
If everyone were like this friend, we would not have a public education system, a public library system, a military, and the list goes on. The vast majority of us pay less in taxes than we receive in government services.

Old 11-15-2016, 05:30 PM

516 posts, read 429,513 times
My wife and I and our 2 children (at that time) were on food stamps and medical assistance. Everything else we paid for with cash. I worked 60+ hours a week at a job that was a dead end but I stayed because upper management worked with me very well with scheduling as I was in the beginning stages of my trade apprenticeship. We finally got off of assistance and have never been back on.

As soon as we got off of assistance it became clear to us how and why many people end up staying on it forever or until some sort of "windfall" comes their way.

As soon as we got off assistance, we actually had LESS money in the bank between paychecks. My whole and pure desire since I was a teenager was to never ever ever live hand to mouth as I seen so many in my family do so. I could never understand how one neighbor of mine had it all, fancy new truck, nice house with cedar shake roof...kids in the latest fashion.....meanwhile the neighbor next door wore pajamas to the bus stop with their kid, drove a beater car and always seemed to be home as if they had no job (these are memories from 25 years ago)....

It wasn't until we got off of assistance that I realized why so many end up staying on it...because its a challenge to pave your own way and many choose the easy path of subsidy. Screw that, I am proud of what my wife and I have done.

Old 11-15-2016, 05:35 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,958,653 times
My biggest gripe is we have a 40% out of wedlock birth rate and I really don't think it needs to be anywhere near that high. I think public assistance dis-incentivizes people from getting and staying married. Nowadays, a lot of people just act as though single parenthood and divorce are normal, natural, and inevitable and that marriage is nice, but a distant ideal that isn't really necessary for kids. Public assistance enables that mindset.

And for those who think it makes me a right wing nut job for saying this, even researchers from liberal think tanks are saying the same thing:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.406ef6b86883

I’ve been studying single mothers since long before “Murphy Brown” was on the air. In a study I co-authored with Adam Thomas, I put them into hypothetical households with demographically similar unmarried men who, in principle, would be good marriage partners. Through this virtual matchmaking, we showed that child poverty rates would fall by as much as 20 percent in an America with more two-parent households.

In later research, Ron Haskins and I learned that if individuals do just three things — finish high school, work full time and marry before they have children — their chances of being poor drop from 15 percent to 2 percent.

Dan Quayle was right [in what he said about single parenthood being bad for children back in 1992]. Unless the media, parents and other influential leaders celebrate marriage as the best environment for raising children, the new trend — bringing up baby alone — may be irreversible.

Old 11-15-2016, 05:42 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I think it mostly stems from the thought that far too many on assistance don't actively try to get off said assistance true or not
Mine stems from the thought that too many people are not using birth control and are not treating public assistance as the last resort it's (theoretically) supposed to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics