Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 11:01 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,078,730 times

Advertisements

Ask me again in two years (assuming he's still in office). It takes that long for major policy changes to have a real, measurable effect on the economy. This question is way premature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2017, 11:32 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,255,993 times
No difference.
I expect that some bubble will burst during his term. We're about due for one.
Then things will get "interesting".

Old 04-02-2017, 11:49 AM

628 posts, read 819,116 times
2 months won't make a difference. If he can enact some new protectionist policies that would stimulate hiring within the United States and discouraged outsourcing and/or H1Bs that could make an impact.

Old 04-02-2017, 12:01 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
I haven't seen any big changes but it's really still too soon to tell. I live in Las Vegas and there are lots of jobs here but they don't pay enough to live on. People have to get a couple of them and work 60 to 80 hours a week. Many are educated but seriously under-employed. We have enough McJobs! We need jobs with decent pay and benefits!

Old 04-02-2017, 12:16 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,549,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
I asked this question a while back (//www.city-data.com/forum/econo...where-you.html) and had some interesting response.

Wondering how it is in your neck of the wood since Trump ran, won, got inaugurated . . .

I had written "I'm in the North East around NYC. I see a lot less shoppers and shopping bags than usual in the malls for this time of the year. Of course that can be attributed to other factors, including great weather this summer here.

I see lots and lots of unsold inventories in garden shops and nurseries, even though I am told that they ordered about the same amount of stock as last year.

Grocery stores are beating each other silly with discounts even though there are basically just 2 major players in the area."

Seems still true. There is more optimism and people who (I think) couldn't have cared about autoworkers in the Central Time Zone two years ago now think it's the right thing that those jobs are coming back.
It doesn't feel like anything has changed. People and business are still migrating down here at a decent pace.

Old 04-02-2017, 12:24 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,572,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
anyone remember the computer chip shortage and the ridiculous prices when the gov't decided to impose trade restrictions on the chip dumping here ? our manufacturer's had no memory chips to put in computers as a result

There are very short cycles in the chip industry. When the cycle turns and computer manufacturers upgrade to chips with more memory, some of the DRAM suppliers are left holding the bag. Micron was the domestic manufacturer that filed the lawsuit.

Reagan went after Japan on a number of fronts in 1985. There were voluntary import quotas for autos. The Yen's exchange rate was also required to appreciate which fed the bubble in their stocks and real estate.

Nothing much has changed. The Northeast may have had a snowy March which slowed things down. The weather has been normal than usual all year which may have boosted construction (seeing a lot of highrise cranes go up and inquiries from builders who want to build highrise apartments on our land, county planners be damned.)

Old 04-02-2017, 12:44 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,383,197 times
The economy has been improving where I live.

Old 04-02-2017, 01:00 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
What kind of answer do you expect in two months?

And how would the "economy" be radically different in different places.

Unlike a 401K, which, apparently nobody on City Data has or received a statement for.

Old 04-02-2017, 01:08 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Trump is bad, but even he is not bad enough to have a negative impact in 2 months...so yeah, a bit early to tell.

Old 04-02-2017, 01:28 PM

4,224 posts, read 3,018,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
well not in this one .they played a major role and we all got burnt
1986 chip pact
Designed to help the United States compete with Japanese manufacturers, however it had unintended consequences. The pact called for Japanese companies to stop selling chips below cost or dumping which led to the companies producing and exporting fewer chips, the root cause of the dumping.[9] American companies did not reenter the market as expected due to the high cost of production and risk.
Copy-and-paste straight from wikipedia. Same article that details all the other chip famines that governments did not materially contribute to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics