Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 07:46 AM

4,369 posts, read 3,729,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VendorDude View Post
You seem to be determined that NOTHING will do you much good. Defeatist, thou hast defeated thyself.

As for the bull market, it began in March of 2009. When many were hiding under the covers.
I’ve been in the bull market the entire time and in real terms I’m poorer because the dollar has become Monopoly money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2017, 08:07 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,441,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
I’ve been in the bull market the entire time and in real terms I’m poorer because the dollar has become Monopoly money.
Why don't you go ahead and convert your net worth to USD cash, and put that cash on a street corner in any country on earth. We'll see how interested people are in "Monopoly" money

Old 11-08-2017, 08:16 AM

665 posts, read 614,550 times
First, I'm a little aggravated that people let PermaB hijack this thread like he has done with numerous other threads on CD. The best policy with regards to him is just to ignore him.

Back on subject, last year there was considerable interest that the stock market would go down because of the Trump presidency. That didn't happen. Now, there is discussion that a recession could happen in 2018/19 based on my watching of Bloomberg. It's not the prevalent discussion on Bloomberg but it does come up once and while.

As others have mentioned, most have missed out on this bull market which probably started in 2010/11 based on the graphs and figures I've seen. Back in 2010/11, a lot of people were still out of work and trying to get into the workplace and begin starting their lives. Stagnant wages, lack of disposable income, rising housing costs, student loans, unattractive job prospects, lack of financial literacy and resources are all factors of reasons why people might have missed out on this bull market in stocks just like people missed out on the RE market in this time period.

Old 11-08-2017, 08:17 AM

27,627 posts, read 28,723,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
Who needs that much house? All I need is 2 bedrooms in a Place that can have crime but nice weather. Crime can gentrify but ****ty weather is forever.
You have to explore your options besides coastal CA.

Believe it or not, there are other places in America with livable weather.

Old 11-08-2017, 09:02 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,303,278 times
This bull market has been exceptional for me. I started investing in 2009 when I got my first real job after graduate school and postdoc, just before I bought my house. Since then I have invested roughly half of a (15 year)mortgage payment every month. While my house is only half paid off, my investments are worth twice the total value (not equity) of my house. Very lucky to be paying 2.625% annual interest while earning 10%+.

Old 11-08-2017, 09:11 AM

18,848 posts, read 8,496,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
This bull market has been exceptional for me. I started investing in 2009 when I got my first real job after graduate school and postdoc, just before I bought my house. Since then I have invested roughly half of a (15 year)mortgage payment every month. While my house is only half paid off, my investments are worth twice the total value (not equity) of my house. Very lucky to be paying 2.625% annual interest while earning 10%+.
Many people don't realize the importance of the serendipity of timing when it comes to equity investment.
I was lucky too, starting with my first substantial investing in 1982, secondary to my earning power just cranking up.

Old 11-08-2017, 10:10 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,405,462 times
I started investing in a index fund so I am making money off this bull market.I am a millennial.I also had stock before the bull market started.I invest every month.The stock market will crash at some point.Never try to time the market.

Old 11-08-2017, 04:06 PM

13,665 posts, read 9,738,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peasy973 View Post
...last year there was considerable interest that the stock market would go down because of the Trump presidency. That didn't happen. Now, there is discussion that a recession could happen in 2018/19 based on my watching of Bloomberg. ...

As others have mentioned, most have missed out on this bull market which probably started in 2010/11 based on the graphs and figures ...
This is precisely why I keep beating the drum, shouting that theoretical understanding of economics and markets - even if thorough and correct! - has no epistemic value in actual practical investment-decisions.

I too was convinced that a Trump presidency would be murder on the stock market, but being a phlegmatic and neurotic hand-wringer, I took no action. I sold nothing and did no rebalancing. This passivity was rewarded. It was neither wisdom, nor fortitude, but sheer bovine stultification.

Likewise with head-and-shoulders, candlestick patterns, MACD, whatever. What say the donkey's entrails? Who shall inherit the throne of Sennacherib? Are the celestial omens just right, for our tribe to attack the enemy? Must Iphigenia die, and how shall we trick her into coming willingly?

Old 11-08-2017, 04:10 PM

13,078 posts, read 7,543,778 times
Gotta have Money to make Money
And the Rich get Richer
[we're not rich, but have recovered nicely although we almost didn't make it too]

Old 11-08-2017, 04:51 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,933,604 times
I haven't totally missed it but I've missed out a lot of the gains by having a good chunk in bonds. Why? Because I was always afraid of the market crashing. Whenever bond yields rose slightly, I'd buy MORE bonds!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics